Best Buy to Pull CDs In July - Continue To Sell LPs

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Markies
Next-Gen

Re: Best Buy to Pull CDs In July - Continue To Sell LPs

Post by Markies »

The last time I did a CD count, I was near 350. By now, I'd say I'm around 500 or so.

I still buy CD's from Amazon because they are still extremely cheap and they are just the easiest way for me to get physical music. I distrust itunes or any of that digital stuff. I listen to Pandora, but it only satiates my need and I usually buy the CD from the artists I like anyway.

I can imagine CD's going away for 'newer' artists, but the older bands that release new material will probably always release on physical media. Hell, some artists today release their new music on vinyl.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

DVD/BDs will eventually go but movie budgets and profits are much different. Many films are in the red when theater release showings stop but then get in the black upon DVD release.

Many Sci Fi & horror films fit this bill. Do okay in the theater, not passing their production budget, only to sell millions of DVD/BD copies, and even warranty a sequel.

Then there's the distinction between direct to DVD and the big screen. Sure, digital only will open the doors for indie movies who get to bypass disc printing. That's cool.

Sure, eventually the cost of producing DVD/BD disc will outweigh the associated profit, thus pushing certain studios to move digital one by one, but I think that day is further out for movies. Maybe 5+ years.

Also on music, you have the ability to DL 1 song off an album. That hurts full album sales. That single factor is huge differentiator between the two industries.

What's interesting here is Target is saying their profits are not worth the store real estate. Regarding physical media competition Amazon is likely the culprit here, pushing down retail margins, along with the digital movement.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Jagosaurus wrote:What's interesting here is Target is saying their profits are not worth the store real estate. Regarding physical media competition Amazon is likely the culprit here, pushing down retail margins, along with the digital movement.

It might be partly about margins, but I think it's also just increasingly impractical to maintain an in-store selection that competes with what can be found online. I end up buying a decent number of Blu-rays at Target, but mostly because I tend to shop there anyway, and mostly either new releases or $5 ones (well, when they had that). There's a lot they simply wouldn't have, and I've learned not to bother looking for there. Same kind of thing with Best Buy and CDs.

More generally, video does at least have more of a progression of standards, and a high bandwidth requirement for full quality that'll keep a niche market (at least) for physical media. Maybe not for everything, but, at least an occasional purchase.