Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
VG_Addict
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:16 pm

Dated references/technology/etc in media.

by VG_Addict Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:53 pm

Ever watch an older show or movie that had them use technology or make a reference to something that was current when it was made, but over time has become dated? What are some examples?
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10388
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Dated references/technology/etc in media.

by marurun Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:04 am

This is awfully specific. Why don't you start off with an example. I get the feeling you've got something in mind.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4914
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Dated references/technology/etc in media.

by Gunstar Green Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:31 am

Too many floppy discs in sci-fi futures to bother counting.
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21657
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Dated references/technology/etc in media.

by Ack Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:Too many floppy discs in sci-fi futures to bother counting.


Don't forget, according to the '70s, all spaceships should be covered in shag.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
VG_Addict
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:16 pm

Re: Dated references/technology/etc in media.

by VG_Addict Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:12 pm

marurun wrote:This is awfully specific. Why don't you start off with an example. I get the feeling you've got something in mind.


I'm kinda looking for shows that reference a celebrity that was popular at the time, or referencing an event that was happening around the time the show was written.

For example, a show from the 90s-2000s referencing Britney Spears.
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10388
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Dated references/technology/etc in media.

by marurun Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:39 pm

VG_Addict wrote:
marurun wrote:This is awfully specific. Why don't you start off with an example. I get the feeling you've got something in mind.


I'm kinda looking for shows that reference a celebrity that was popular at the time, or referencing an event that was happening around the time the show was written.

For example, a show from the 90s-2000s referencing Britney Spears.


I thought you were interested in technology references? I'm now very confused.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
VG_Addict
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:16 pm

Re: Dated references/technology/etc in media.

by VG_Addict Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:50 pm

marurun wrote:
VG_Addict wrote:
marurun wrote:This is awfully specific. Why don't you start off with an example. I get the feeling you've got something in mind.


I'm kinda looking for shows that reference a celebrity that was popular at the time, or referencing an event that was happening around the time the show was written.

For example, a show from the 90s-2000s referencing Britney Spears.


I thought you were interested in technology references? I'm now very confused.


I'm interested in both.
Last edited by VG_Addict on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ESauced
64-bit
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:16 am

Re: Dated references/technology/etc in media.

by ESauced Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:17 pm

I always find this really amusing. Sometimes it will be political humor about a long retired senator or something like that. Other times it’s just people in the future still using technology from the 80s.

I was watching an episode of Futurama where Fry buys a TV from the 90s and the exchange goes something like this (I’m paraphrasing it of course):

Bender: Why do you want this crummy thing?
Fry: What’s wrong with it?
Bender: Well aside from causing cancer it has a crummy low definition display
Amy: Yeah I bet on this tv you can’t even make out my obscene tattoo.

Then Amy shows her tattoo and it is all blurry. The joke of course breaking the 4th wall and saying that you can’t make it out because of your low def tv. The episode was made when Hd TVs were too expensive for most households. Now that they’re ubiquitous and 4K and higher def TVs exist, the joke doesn’t really land as well. It was funny to see.
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21657
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Dated references/technology/etc in media.

by Ack Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:22 pm

How about in the movie Surf Ninjas, where one kid has the power to see the future by playing his Game Gear?

And then there are countless dated Simpsons, Animaniacs, and Family Guy jokes...

Also, Looney Tunes often made cultural references that fly over the heads of many folks now. How do you know who the parrot is if you are unfamiliar with Bing Crosby?
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
ESauced
64-bit
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:16 am

Re: Dated references/technology/etc in media.

by ESauced Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:18 am

Ack wrote:
Also, Looney Tunes often made cultural references that fly over the heads of many folks now. How do you know who the parrot is if you are unfamiliar with Bing Crosby?


For that matter, Bugs Bunny’s carrot eating habit is a Clark Gable impression.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/66703/11 ... bugs-bunny

It’s one of those cases where the impression became more famous than the source. Betty Boop was inspired by a real person too, but of course now most kids wouldn’t even recognize Betty Boop.

And also on that subject, how many people today (or really even the kids who watched it while it was on) would watch Freakaziod and know he’s doing a Jerry Lewis impression? And of course the same could be said for Professor Frink in the Simpsons.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests