Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Segata
Next-Gen

XFL offically returning

by Segata Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:25 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/this ... n-in-2020/

I just sold my XFL official football still in the box for a few hundred bucks. I still have a crap ton of XFL Merch in my storage shed. I think I have a bunch of old games on VHS. I knew when the rumors started the new XFL would make drastic changes from its original incarnation and I was right. They learned a lot of lessons but I'm still doubtful. I think they should just be a developmental league and work with the NFL like the Minors do with MLB. Play during the NFL season and air on days college and NFL don't air.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: XFL offically returning

by stickem Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:25 pm

I guess people still haven't learned 2 leagues won't work. This has been tried too many times with the same results, give it up. Nobody wants to see a lesser product.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:05 pm

The European league was the NFL development side. That didn't last.

On the original XFL, Vince knew the head of NBC sports at the time from when he broke up the wrestling territories and the TV end associated. They saw a secondary league as a real possibility.

Vince had always wanted to own a NFL team but was going to get blocked out by existing owners. He used WWF money back then. This round it will reportedly be his money as he just sold that large sum of shares.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Last round he over promised rating to advertisers. That was his nail in the coffin. He won't make that same mistake.
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:16 pm

Does Canadian football even air in canda?

That's the only other league that's been around and I've never seen it on but a couple times in 35 years I've looked for football on tv. Now back in the 80's I actually enjoyed and followed the usfl.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:24 pm

I watched a couple CFL and AFL (arena) games this past year. CFL season is summer to late fall. Games came on ESPN 2 IIRC. Arena season is spring to late summer. Arena is way down from where it was. Only 4 teams now.

I like the arena game better. CFL is interesting (wider field, 3 downs, 12 players, WRs in forward motion).

Worth noting the CFL is very popular in the sports betting world. Not sure why, but it is.
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:31 pm

I would probably watch the cfl if I new when and where it was on. It needs better promoting.

I didn't really care for arena league. Same play over and over again. Just got old to me. I used to go to a few nashville kats games back in the day.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:20 am

CFL is a big step down from NFL but don't tell Canadians that. Often see them defend CFL to the death. Personally while as a teen I liked XFL but now eh...it was more where I was in life then as Football was my life in that period of time. I only watch the Titans and Utah Utes anymore and outside of that don't care about other sports or teams to watch. I think this will fold as well but this time might not be the trainwreck the original was. Will be interesting to see if they can create some new innovation like they did with Skycam,mic'd up players and such.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
NotLuke
16-bit

by NotLuke Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:57 am

Remember when Trump had a league? Fun times had by Jim Kelly. But let's forget about the past. To quote Vince, "This is the future", so lets not think about past mistakes, because history never repeats itself.
Doesn't it? Let us visit history for the sake of it. What didn't work before? What DID work?

Presentation, marketing, expanding talent pool. Good stuff. You can thank the XFL for how we watch football. The camera positions, the angles, the importance of the game being in constant motion. Us feeling the motion, the speed, the impact. The NFL has a LOT to thank the XFL for advances in the presentation of the sport. As far as the marketing, take the good with the bad but the XFL expanded a market that was thought supersaturated.
NFL HOME OF THE BEST ATHLETES IN THE WORLD. "Not so fast" -HeHateMe Football ain't football. Football is track and field with occasional contact occurring outside the line of scrimmage. Football is advanced choreography at breakneck speed where one misstep is a step towards a life of physical rehabilitation. Risk and reward at insane levels, with insane people willing to risk it all. The XFL finds talent the NFL overlooks.

" Current plans account for a 10-game regular season beginning in late January or early February followed by a postseason consisting of two semifinal games and a championship game. Active rosters will consist of approximately 40 players with winning incentivized."

Spring is for Baseball. Is there room for Football during Spring? Not really. The SuperBowl wraps up the season rather nicely, yes? People are ready for a break. People just saw the Patriots win the SuperBowl a dozen times in a row, why not have a break before cheering for the Wyoming Walruses or whatever cockeyed team name the XFL hems. And why cheer for these second tier teams? Even if the XFL has teams with superior talent, there is no shaking the stigma associated with the XFL.

No need to write the XFL off so soon, but if you are excited about this I would suggest you show your faith by crossing your fingers and not by holding your breath.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:45 am

Jagosaurus wrote:Worth noting the CFL is very popular in the sports betting world. Not sure why, but it is.

I went to an Argonauts game in Toronto once, it was pretty fun.

I welcome the XFL's return, even if it fails again it at least brought some innovation to the way the sport is spectated, as Segata already noted.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:11 pm

What was it they innovated again? I haven't seen a mic'ed up player in years and the skycam view is horrible. If you mean the video game view the nfl strated on thursdays.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever