Local gaming slang

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
harper
Next-Gen

Re: Local gaming slang

Post by harper »

Retrogameresource wrote:Holy shit we only ever used board for a level as well. I never heard anyone use that outside my area.

Regular nintendo was common in my area as well. Most people didnt say NES and no one ever said nes or snes as a word it was N E S or S N E S

I've always wondered if "regular Nintendo" was something a lot of other people say. That's what we called it around here too.

Side note: for some reason it bothers me when people say "ness" and "sness". Like it's not a word it's an acronym. Stop it. :lol:
Retrogameresource
16-bit

Post by Retrogameresource »

harper wrote:
Retrogameresource wrote:Holy shit we only ever used board for a level as well. I never heard anyone

Side note: for some reason it bothers me when people say "ness" and "sness". Like it's not a word it's an acronym. Stop it. :lol:

Hahah That bothers me for some reason as well.

One that I'm relatively certain was isolated to my friends at the time was the phrase we used for 'beating' a game. A game wasn't 'beaten', it was 'solved', as in, "Hey I finally solved The Legend of Zelda last night." I even kept my "Solved List" in a notebook next to the NES (right next to a box of index cards used for recording passwords, lol)

Although I haven't used this phrase in years, I'm still rather fond of it. Something can be 'beaten' with brute force, but you can't 'solve' something without the application of knowledge and skill. :D (although I will grant that somethings are solved via simple dumb luck)

Definitely never heard solved, but I definitely like your logic. Thats awesome that you kept that book.

Also other people in my area would say they "ended" the game
http://retrogameresource.com/ Your Source for Retro Game Curation
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

This topic is fascinating, I've read through all the posts so far with relish.

Lately my best friend keeps calling high scores the "leader boards". It confuses me when he does this, since "leader board" has always connoted a post-XBOX-live list of the best players, whereas "high score" was always offline local play for me. But he's been calling them all "leader boards" whether the game is played over a network with other people or not.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

harper wrote:
Retrogameresource wrote:Holy shit we only ever used board for a level as well. I never heard anyone use that outside my area.

Regular nintendo was common in my area as well. Most people didnt say NES and no one ever said nes or snes as a word it was N E S or S N E S

I've always wondered if "regular Nintendo" was something a lot of other people say. That's what we called it around here too.

People around here use to say "N-E-S" or "S-N-E-S" and not say them like a word. For reasons I can't explain, I don't mind when people say NES like a word, but I absolutely hate when people pronounce SNES like a word. We use to say "Super NES" (and say NES like a word) so maybe that's why.

On that topic, I hate when people pronounce the the acronym for Call of Duty as cod, like cod fish. The first time I heard someone say "cod" was when World at War was out. They were like "Do you play cod five?" Double whammy! Not only is it NOT "cod," it's not even Call of Duty 5!

I always kinda figured the "regular" thing wasn't isolated to my area. People always tend to refer to things (especially the original or tradition thing) as regular. Regular coffee, as opposed to decaf. Regular produce, as opposed to organic.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Let's see...when I was growing up, adults called every video game system a Nintendo, but to the kids, the SNES was Super Nintendo and the NES was original Nintendo. That's the only thing I can think of, though; we pretty much used the standard terminology otherwise. A controller was just a controller. The only other thing I can think of is that every control stick was a joystick.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Retrogameresource
16-bit

Post by Retrogameresource »

Ziggy587 wrote:
harper wrote:

People around here use to say "N-E-S" or "S-N-E-S" and not say them like a word. For reasons I can't explain, I don't mind when people say NES like a word, but I absolutely hate when people pronounce SNES like a word. We use to say "Super NES" (and say NES like a word) so maybe that's why.

On that topic, I hate when people pronounce the the acronym for Call of Duty as cod, like cod fish. The first time I heard someone say "cod" was when World at War was out. They were like "Do you play cod five?" Double whammy! Not only is it NOT "cod," it's not even Call of Duty 5!

I always kinda figured the "regular" thing wasn't isolated to my area. People always tend to refer to things (especially the original or tradition thing) as regular. Regular coffee, as opposed to decaf. Regular produce, as opposed to organic.

I hate COD as well, just say the name. Im fine with writing the abbreviation and I dont mind when the letters are pronounced like F F 6.
http://retrogameresource.com/ Your Source for Retro Game Curation
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I'd say when we were younger it was "Atari", "Nintendo", "Super Nintendo", and "Sega". I guess we might have called it a Genesis here and there, but until the Sega CD and 32X hit, we didn't really get too specific.

Eventually, went to N E S and S N E S -- but it makes me cringe when I hear somebody call it "Sness" (only really heard it on Youtube, to be honest -- never in person)
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

I'll (very) occasionally say 'Nessie' or 'ol' Nessie' in reference to the NES, mostly when I'm trying to be stupid/funny. So hearing someone say 'Ness' doesn't bother me all that much. But for some reason 'Sness' is a bridge too far, lol. Nails on a chalkboard, that. :lol:
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

nullPointer wrote:I'll (very) occasionally say 'Nessie' or 'ol' Nessie' in reference to the NES, mostly when I'm trying to be stupid/funny. So hearing someone say 'Ness' doesn't bother me all that much. But for some reason 'Sness' is a bridge too far, lol. Nails on a chalkboard, that. :lol:

I could agree with that.

On a side note, when I'm talking to a non-retro gamer, I'll refer to them as the "Original Nintendo" and "Super Nintendo"
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Everyone I know who played games at the time here pronounced called the Super Nintendo the 'Snez' and the original the 'Nez'