Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Vinyl Music - Record player recommendations?

by Tanooki Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Fair enough I did decide to ignore it and it's gone now. I found another which is a Sanyo and it sucks even worse reading up on that one as I could find info on it so I left that too.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:53 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Fast, what about the LP120? I thought that was the current go-to DD table. It's sub $500. I know there's arguments for belt versus DD, but I prefer DD myself.

https://www.amazon.com/AT-LP120BK-USB-D ... 028&sr=1-5

(Supports 78RPM, by the way)

Trust Ziggy, LP120 is the way to go. I did not realize the price dropped that low.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:22 pm

What about Linear Track vs Arm? I have a decades old Hitachi L70 which has an optical reader of the vinyl tracks, wish it had a USB capture option. Ah well, the records can be easily recorded from the stereo to the analog line in of the sound card.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:20 pm

I'm dusting this off for the hell of it just because...

I finally solved my vinyl problem today a few hours ago. So at least I can get a taste and see where to go with it on the cheap with a decent player.

Months ago I had picked up one of those swiss army wood box Crosley pos units and it imploded shortly after turning it on. Months I've been watching for something better and today that arrived for all of $15. I got an Audio Technica AT-PL50 turntable. It's from 2007 but well cared for, has stereo audio jacks out of the back with a cable converter to a phones jack style. With that I was above to pop those into my Logitech speakers which are fantastic and the audio quality is excellent, though a little quiet since I think it needs a little more powered of a device but thankfully doesn't require a receiver to work. For the space I'm in on the loudest it's plenty enough, just not enough to rattle the walls.

With that I went to HBP and I located a killer deal on a record for $16, The Early Years Beatles non-reprint which seemed to book about $50 on ebay. I've been running that and an old Disney record of my mom's I've carried around for 30 years too since I can actually hear it (audio score from Lady and the Tramp.)
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:22 pm

Good Score, tanooki! Remember to replace the needle soon. Sapphire needles are cheaper, but diamond needles last longer. I’ll be honest: I almost always get the sapphire needles because I only play records a few times a year. New needles definitely make a difference no matter what you do.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:51 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:Good Score, tanooki! Remember to replace the needle soon. Sapphire needles are cheaper, but diamond needles last longer. I’ll be honest: I almost always get the sapphire needles because I only play records a few times a year. New needles definitely make a difference no matter what you do.

Thanks, I had a feeling it was as I had been looking at a newer same maker/later model unit when I talked about it before and a fast google search showed people liking this one enough, so $15 was easily worth the risk (at a no returns store.)

Well I don't know much about that with needles, but I'd have to go look and see. Yesterday I did dig this up, seems like a nice upgrade kit of sorts, though I don't need the belt.
https://www.lpgear.com/product/UPATPL50.html

I found a nice 2 record set for the Beach Boys this evening for $10 in great shape. Also did a bundle deal on ebay of some VG++ quality stuff with 3 more. Steppenwolf Live 1970, Foreigner 1977, and Deep Purple 1978 When We Rock We Rock When We Roll We Roll. That'll be a nice start of sorts. I know a number of places with records pretty near by so when the time works for me I'll go digging. I should get some basic cleaning kit, passed on one the other day I got the thing not having tested it yet.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sat May 12, 2018 10:04 pm

Just a nice little update, bought that $40 upgrade stylus+belt package from LP Gear. I'm really enjoying the clarity and depth even with my kind of worn stock stylus. I got a basically more or less new quality record today (Best of Cream) which has no real marks on it at all and I still get some pops so I think I'm partly suffering from a decade old tired read going on here. Spent $10 today and got that one, plus Eagles and their Greatest Hits (almost as clean) and $1 of it was a somewhat worn Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I setup an account on discogs so I don't lose track of what I've got, it's small but growing and I like what I have so far: https://www.discogs.com/user/Tanooki_Suit/collection
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sun May 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Yay vinyl get part 2!

AC/DC Back in Black, (History) America's Greatest Hits, Boston, Bob Seger Stranger in Town, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Jimi Hendrix Experience Smash Hits, and ZZ Top Eliminator -- Paid $4 for America, $40 combined for the other 6 all in VG shape or a bit nicer. :D

Also found for $2 PS1 stuff - Midway's Arcade Greatest Hits #2 (the one with Spy Hunter) and also almost PaRappa the Rapper but it had a Gods and Generals movie in the case :( Yet he gave me the case with the cover manual/art and rear art for free! (Anyone got a loose disc to sell or trade into? It values around $20~.)
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever