Thread to Discuss Current Events & Politics

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Thread to Discuss Current Events & Politics

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

dsheinem wrote: We have had and we still do have trans members here.

*raises hand*

dsheinem wrote:I think part of the reason for that is that the community has made it a point to call out transphobic remarks wherever they have occurred in the forums. I don't know of any trans members that have left the site because of the discussions in the old "World is Falling Apart" thread, though there may be other reasons that some have left that have nothing to do with that thread's discussion of politics. That thread was also not the only place that trans issues have been brought up, so nullifying that kind of political thread in the future would likely not nullify that discussion either.

I quite liked the old World Falling Apart thread. I don't have that many real life friends that I can talk so personally with. Racketboy is one of the most diverse friend-groups I have politically, and even though I often didn't agree with what was said, I liked seeing what other people on the political spectrum have to say in a space where I'm free to just back away if it's stressing me out too much. I didn't read the thread ALL the time, and certainly posted even less in it, but that's because so many of your arguments were so well composed I just felt I didn't have anything meaningful to contribute that wouldn't just make me look like a fool.

I'm not so quick to agree that the "just don't look at it" strategy is the fix-all solution to a youth's cyberbullying problem, but as far as a politics thread goes, I think that works just fine. It's exactly what I did. If I wanted a right-perspective or an international perspective on a thing that was happenin', y'all'd pretty reliably be talkin' about it here. Now if everyone just isn't gonna participate, that's their own choice, but I think outright banning political discussion is a fairly extreme overreaction. Video games are a medium of art. Art is inherently political. You cannot have apolitical art.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

...so are we allowed to chat politics then? I would love to use this thread (or some new one) to do so as this has been a particularly charged week in terms of politics/current events. When will we get the word from on high? :wink: :lol:

--

In any case, I will post this here (instead of in "Random Thoughts" or some such) as I think it is worth sharing to get an illuminating on-the-ground picture of last weekend in Charlottesville. It is well worth your 20 minutes: https://news.vice.com/story/vice-news-t ... and-terror

If/when the mods are cool with it, I'd love to hear people's thoughts...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

dsheinem wrote:...so are we allowed to chat politics then? I would love to use this thread (or some new one) to do so as this has been a particularly charged week in terms of politics/current events. When will we get the word from on high? :wink: :lol:

--

In any case, I will post this here (instead of in "Random Thoughts" or some such) as I think it is worth sharing to get an illuminating on-the-ground picture of last weekend in Charlottesville. It is well worth your 20 minutes: https://news.vice.com/story/vice-news-t ... and-terror

If we do go ahead with this, can I echo the earlier statement that we lock this thread and start a new one.

It's harder to ignore in the thread if it keeps coming up in my 'view your posts' section, and the discussion prior to now was something I was happy to engage in. The conversation coming up would be one I'd rather avoid.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

dsheinem wrote:...so are we allowed to chat politics then? I would love to use this thread (or some new one) to do so as this has been a particularly charged week in terms of politics/current events. When will we get the word from on high? :wink: :lol:

--

If that discussion opens up, you know there will be fire. Race division is such an emotional topic, any dialog presented easily misconstrued. Just in presenting the link offers a one sided view of the whole story; both sides were violent even if for right and wrong reasons.

Perhaps update the OP with a Poll of Yes, No and Do Not Care questions and bump your Thread?

Moderators of course will make the decision, the poll gives an assessment how the active members feel.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

marurun

Post by marurun »

This is why we can't have nice things, folks. More information coming soon, but for now there is a moratorium on general political discussion on the Racketboy forums. Stay tuned for more detail about what our long-term policies will be.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.