Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
racketboy
Site Admin

The New Site Design is LIVE!

Post by racketboy »

So the content end is updated to our freshly-designed, responsive template
http://www.racketboy.com

Let me know what you think!
If you experience any bug, please pass them along.

The forum theme has been improved as well, but you are welcome to change back to an older theme in your User Control Panel.
You can find our past discussions of the forum theme as we refined it here
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51531
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: The New Site Design is LIVE!

Post by Blu »

It's so sharp! I love it.

I think the only thing I notice initially is the tiles for articles is a little off-center. But beyond that, it's beautiful, functional, and I like it.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Blu wrote:It's so sharp! I love it.

I think the only thing I notice initially is the tiles for articles is a little off-center. But beyond that, it's beautiful, functional, and I like it.

On the front page? Do you have an ad blocker turned on?
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

You caught me. Here I am depriving you of sweet sweet ad-revenue. Yeah, it's totally fine now that ad-blocker is turned off for this domain.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Blu wrote:You caught me. Here I am depriving you of sweet sweet ad-revenue. Yeah, it's totally fine now that ad-blocker is turned off for this domain.

haha -- I just wanted to make sure I understood what you saw ;)
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I love the new front page. I REALLY LOVE IT!
I don't like how the articles are off centered. I know it's because of the right widget with the adds and posts, but after you scroll past those I find it odd and annoying to be staring towards the left side of my monitor for this site when I stare at the center for every other site.

It may be a minor thing but it took me out of my comfort zone for reading but that side bar it sooo wide it really moved the text over so much I stopped reading the new XBOX article at Project Gotham Racing. Just to make sure it wasn't just me, I read the article again while typing this up and physically moved my chair to the left so that the text was front and center and that fixed my issue...
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

From the Refining Racketboy's About Page / Elevator Pitch Thread quoted over to here for continuation.

racketboy wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:The Front Page seems to be inspired by Touch Screen access, huge boxes. Suggest on the front page the white area on the right have the old drop down box for mouse users. The instant text listing links to all the Guides by console, 101, hidden gems etc. This saves having to go back and forth on the large bottom icons loading sub categories seeing what each console category covered.

In the Together Retro, perhaps change the word "Archive" button to "Together Retro Index"? After opened each article could have month year in the title or even better, auto sorted out alphabetically for an easy find of a game? Same here, maybe include in the front page a drop down box with alphabetized text links to quickly find an older Together Retro article.
Interesting suggestions --

Oh I see the drop down text box; it appears after you load an article. Maybe include that same box on the Front Page?

Perhaps that "Browse Categories" drop down box should really be in the top blue border at the front page and every page. A list of all the articles available up front, showing how Racketboy can be used as in depth reference. This can really supplement the few huge boxes and general categories at the bottom.

I see now the white area is for ad revenue which are different size graphics. Makes sense to keep an organized section at the right.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

To piggyback on my previous post - the new site looks great on mobile devices.
I know the off center thing sounds odd, but it really made the site hard to read on a desktop.
For now I will read the articles on my phone. I guess I am one of the few people left that would rather browse and type on the net using a desktop and keyboard. I mainly only browse on my phone when looking up something quick from the couch or when clicking a link via social media.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

SpaceBooger wrote:To piggyback on my previous post - the new site looks great on mobile devices.
I know the off center thing sounds odd, but it really made the site hard to read on a desktop.
For now I will read the articles on my phone. I guess I am one of the few people left that would rather browse and type on the net using a desktop and keyboard. I mainly only browse on my phone when looking up something quick from the couch or when clicking a link via social media.

Yeah, now I guess I can see that. We'll have to strategize on to how to fine tune the experience without giving out sidebar stuff.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

At the same time, can anyone find a similar site that has articles, but a sidebar that doesn't break the reading experience.
I always thought The Verge had a good experience, but they kinda have the same layout
https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/8/16115 ... tflix-deal