The New Site Design is LIVE!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: The New Site Design is LIVE!

Post by Ziggy »

Well that's why I was asking. I guess I phrased it wrong.

What is the max pixel width before the image gets scaled? I create a lot of the images I post here, so I would purposefully chose a size that fits the width without having to be scaled.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

New is scary
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ziggy587 wrote:Well that's why I was asking. I guess I phrased it wrong.

What is the max pixel width before the image gets scaled? I create a lot of the images I post here, so I would purposefully chose a size that fits the width without having to be scaled.

Well, since the design is responsive, it might scale to the appropriate width based on screen size. Because a good size for desktop users is not necessarily a good size for mobile users.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Ziggy587 wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Thanks for keeping the Gloss Blue; I switched back due to preference of "Retro" layout.
I like using whatever the default skin is so that I can format my posts to look their best, being that it's the way most people are viewing the forums. For instance, banners I've made for guides, et cetera, had a max width to fit Glossy Blue. But now they will appear too short for most people. If I'm making a rather large post, a guide or tutorial, I like to pay a lot of attention to format and aesthetics.

A very good point since the default is what most visitors will use. Meh, I'll stick to Glossy Blue; the posts will still show in every theme even if not layout perfect as long as color text are avoided.

racketboy wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:Speaking of... What is the max pixel width for images on the new skin? And, will anything over the max width be scaled down like Glossy Blue?
I think there's just a max file size (like 1.3 MB?) but everything will be scaled. It didn't scale originally, but I had Matt fix that.

Not sure on V3, but direct attachment images would NOT rescale on older themes causing a reply to jump across to match the attached image width. An easy fix, set inside an attachment command:

(attachment=0)FILE.JPG{/attachment}

Any uploaded pictures larger then 725 pixel wide that are reused in replies later on would automatically scale to the width of the default page width.

Best to upload images to 725 wide to save on file size for page load response for the old themes or matched pixel width to the newer V3 theme. PERHAPS A RULE TO ONLY USE LARGE IMAGES IF A RIGHT CLICK ZOOM TO STUDY DETAIL (SUCH AS A PCB SOLDER) IS REQUIRED. Throw the attachment command for the auto size if needed.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

PresidentLeever wrote:I didn't realise the main page was also redesigned as I usually go directly into the forum, so here are my first reactions not quite remembering the old layout:
+Lower half is both functional and aesthetically pleasing
+Upper "bar" with categories and search
-Logo part is way too big

I think there should be a sub title for "latest articles" and maybe smaller and more numerous thumbnails for them. How it looks now feels a bit unfinished. Or you could put the latest articles section in a sidebar and move the lower half further up.

The mid part with the categories could perhaps be skipped, and you could use smaller versions of the icons in the upper bar instead since they look good and keep some familiarity for long time readers.

I don't know how it would be done, but perhaps the big logo with the intro text and buttons could be shown for first time viewers or non-members only?

I'll probably adjust the layout of the front page before too long. We started designing it before I knew I was returning from hiatus/going to spend more time working on articles, so that large part was to avoid it bringing attention to lack of updates.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

How's everyone feeling with the new theme since it's been live for a while?
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

racketboy wrote:How's everyone feeling with the new theme since it's been live for a while?

I love viewing the site in mobile (phone) mode. I just don't post that way. There are so many buttons/functions that don't line up well and it's hard to view the post when typing. I just browse in mobile mode and if I remember I'll post my thoughts when on a pc.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I do love browsing on my phone, but I also agree that the various functions for the text editor really stack up pretty tall when you go to make a post. I've just been dealing with it, because at least they're all clearly visible.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
toadhall
24-bit

Post by toadhall »

Came in from the email. Haven't visited Racketboy in a while but man it looks soooo good now. Looking forward to reading the new content. Maybe I can contribute articles too.
Drop by my Nintendo retro gaming blog:
http://www.retroboyadvance.com
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

toadhall wrote:Came in from the email. Haven't visited Racketboy in a while but man it looks soooo good now. Looking forward to reading the new content. Maybe I can contribute articles too.

Same here. Looks SUPER different. Need some time to get used to it.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)