Refining Racketboy's About Page / Elevator Pitch

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
racketboy
Site Admin

Refining Racketboy's About Page / Elevator Pitch

Post by racketboy »

So I'm in the middle of a bit of a relaunch of the site today...
The new design of the website is now live
I've posted my first completely new article in quite a while (I'm afraid to look how long it's actually been)

And I'm in the middle of revising my mission statement of sorts on the About Page
http://www.racketboy.com/about

Would you guys take a look and see what you think? I don't want to get too wordy, but I also want to convey what makes us special.

I was thinking about collecting some quotes from people about why they keep coming back here. I got a handful of messages from people on here and social media when I mentioned the reboot. If you have anything you want to pass on, please feel free :)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Refining Racketboy's About Page / Elevator Pitch

Post by CRTGAMER »

RetroGaming with Racketboy

The video game industry has shown us decades of art and innovation. It is easy to get lost in the hype, stumble over missed attempts, and miss out on hidden gems. Retrogaming with Racketboy is an attempt to make sense out of the noise that is contained in this rapidly changing world of gaming. We want you to be able to spend time with the games and hardware that are fulfilling instead of getting overwhelmed.

Instead of focusing purely on the latest that the industry has to offer or only the high-profile titles, we look to savor what its history has to offer. We want each visitor to be able to easily find a guide or conversation that will help them steer their gaming collection and lifestyle in a way that serves them best. While we spend a lot of time on console gaming, we also enjoy arcade and personal computer gaming as well. We intend to broaden our content while staying true to our goals.

Retrogaming with Racketboy was established in 2004 and has since grown to become of the leading sources of old-school gaming information and discussion. We are often cited in both active gaming communities and reference materials in addition to being featured numerous times on mainstream gaming and technology sites for over a decade. These sites include 1UP (and featured on their 101 Favorite Gaming Sites) Digg, Slashdot, Game Informer, GamePro, Retro Gamer Magazine, Fark, WebbAlert, WIRED, Joystiq, Kotaku, and Ars Technica.

The Front Page seems to be inspired by Touch Screen access, huge boxes. Suggest on the front page the white area on the right have the old drop down box for mouse users. The instant text listing links to all the Guides by console, 101, hidden gems etc. This saves having to go back and forth on the large bottom icons loading sub categories seeing what each console category covered.

In the Together Retro, perhaps change the word "Archive" button to "Together Retro Index"? After opened each article could have month year in the title or even better, auto sorted out alphabetically for an easy find of a game? Same here, maybe include in the front page a drop down box with alphabetized text links to quickly find an older Together Retro article.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

CRTGAMER wrote:The Front Page seems to be inspired by Touch Screen access, huge boxes. Suggest on the front page the white area on the right have the old drop down box for mouse users. The instant text listing links to all the Guides by console, 101, hidden gems etc. This saves having to go back and forth on the large bottom icons loading sub categories seeing what each console category covered.

In the Together Retro, perhaps change the word "Archive" button to "Together Retro Index"? After opened each article could have month year in the title or even better, auto sorted out alphabetically for an easy find of a game? Same here, a drop down box with text links to quickly find an older Together Retro article.

Interesting suggestions -- I guess on this thread I was mostly curious on input on the written copy of the About page itself ;)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

racketboy wrote:Interesting suggestions -- I guess on this thread I was mostly curious on input on the written copy of the About page itself ;)

I copy pasted the mission statement above for a ready reference. Feel free to cut and move the text up to the OP.

The statement reads solid, though maybe expand on the history? An acknowledge of today's games inspired by games of the past and how today's gamer can get the most of both modern and past games. Focus is Retro Games, but maybe throw in that modern games are also discussed to bring in the curious?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ok that sounds good. I was trying to pack as much of the core message in the opening sentences -- does it work ok? (Like if that's all they read?)