Your Unpopular TV/Film opinions.

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Your Unpopular TV/Film opinions.

Post by Gunstar Green »

That's all valid. The sexualization stuff was the product of network mandate just like in Voyager and it finally largely goes away in Season 4 (except the Mirror Universe episodes but overt sexism is part of its thing). The majority of it is in the first season so I imagine they got a lot of blowback on it.

I didn't get through the show when it was first airing but I marathoned it this year and came out with a more positive opinion than I originally did.

That said it's still easily on the weak end of the Trek spectrum. The time travel stuff still sucks.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I am really digging Star Trek Discovery so far. Lot's of fun adventures so far. I like that the writers are more concerned with writing good sci-fi adventures than they are with keeping Stark Trek canon a sacred cow.

I don't get why the haters were hating on this one. Pffft... Haters gonna hate! :roll:
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Probably because of the distribution more than the show. Anywhere in the world with netflix can watch is free part of the service. In the US you have the right to pay a monthly fee to CBS to watch their subpar programming which they rolled it into because it was struggling. Then yes trek trolls who can't stand change or alternate universes or the rest of it.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

samsonlonghair wrote:I am really digging Star Trek Discovery so far. Lot's of fun adventures so far. I like that the writers are more concerned with writing good sci-fi adventures than they are with keeping Stark Trek canon a sacred cow.

I don't get why the haters were hating on this one. Pffft... Haters gonna hate! :roll:

I was into this, but as the season has progressed, I have liked it less and less. I dont really care for any of the characters, or find them interesting except for the captain. The protagonist is boring, and the klingons, first mate, roommate, and science officer/engineer guy are annoying. I wanted to like it, as they do some stuff right.