Direct me to the drama please

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Direct me to the drama please

Post by CRTGAMER »

J T wrote:You think I'm raging on my PC too much? Who in Dell asked you?!
Ima 'bout to lose my chips! VACUUM!
I'm so tired of ducking everything. Got down sat on a bench!

:lol: JT on a roll! I have to really start reading your posts more carefully for all the subtle hidden stuff. :D
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

long post from phone:
Just caught up and happy to see CRT's guides referenced. I was going to bring them up. I've ran across several of them while Googling various mods. Have we thought about simply highlighting noteworthy threads on the front page (besides just the most active section that is somewhere towards the bottom).

My Aug 2016 thread on PS2 mod already has 3,100+ views. I'm normally browsing on my phone so I was really surprised to see that view count. I Googled "Mod PS2 2016 FreecBoot" and sure enough, it comes up really high. I guarantee a decent bit of that traffic was lurkers. That thread was a lot of fun & full of knowledge due to several members here. How many more site front page views & replies would we have received if that or similar threads were highlighted on main page?

I was shocked to see CRTs oXbox HDD upgrade had zero replies. I came across that guide some time ago on Google as well (meant to tell you that CRT when you PMed me the link).

As an example, I've been thinking of creating a thread on using the recently developed Chimp app versus the popular Slayer disc (in CRTs guide). It is really easy & allows you to simply plug you new, larger HDD into the ribbon cable where the disc drive was, run Chimp, & select clone drive. Mods like that are amazing, important to ensuring the OXbox lives on for years to come, and would drive traffic (in turning paying the hosting fees and possibly attracting users). So far, I've only seen 1 youtube video on it (by the creator). Should that be an article or a guide thread?

I think we're really missing some opportunities with this "new tech meets preserving retro" movement going on between flash carts, Optical Drive Emulators, PSIO, clones, ROM patches, and many others.

Perhaps it's the scene I'm getting more into but it seems to a popular movement. Several members here have aided provideo great info and helped me so I'm not alone.

Regarding some other comments...
Ahhh, I always though LisaLover, was a guy who loved Lisa. She (new to me) was cool. Apple was a character. Is racergirl our only female left :/? I lived in Apple's small West TX town for a short time so we had a good time poking fun at that :).

I joined in 2013 after being a pretty common site reader for a few years. I knew JoeAwesome in person from the local community and he encouraged me to join. Rest is history! Thanks Joe.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Jagosaurus wrote:Is racergirl our only female left

Once in a while Key still makes a post. But laurenhiya21 is the most active Racketgirl I know of. She also has great taste in games and I love reading her posts.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Exhuminator wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:Is racergirl our only female left

Once in a while Key still makes a post. But laurenhiya21 is the most active Racketgirl I know of. She also has great taste in games and I love reading her posts.

Ahhh yeah, I saw some nice games aquired posts by Lauren last month. Not that gender makes any difference, just interesting we don't have more ladies as I see more into the hobby on Youtube, in convention vids, & in stores. I digress...

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

darsparx wrote:Sad thing is I've used a crapton of these at school just to not get in trouble when I was in the public school system. Especially since i usually either had or was near the teachers who I'd get in trouble with almost every freaking time I'd cuss for real. Of course then there's the gold I heard a guy use when I did try out for soccer back in high school: "Nuckin Futs!". I lost it when I heard that one....

Many of those words pretty much define my existence. I use heck, darn, dang it, blast it, confound it, dadgummit, dadblastit, dadburnit, son of a biscuit-eater, shoot, crap, and several others for my euphemisms. I'm sure there are folks that aren't super-happy about those, either. :lol:
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Man i have missed a lot I need to start being more active again, but I am alive and well if anyone wondered. Just started working for a new Doctor last year, more pay and hours but way more responsibility and no time for posting at work.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

ninjainspandex wrote:Man i have missed a lot I need to start being more active again, but I am alive and well if anyone wondered. Just started working for a new Doctor last year, more pay and hours but way more responsibility and no time for posting at work.

I'd kinda wondered...I've not been very active until recently either due to school(even though i should've held off until after finals but ehh not like my grades have suffered). Hope everything goes well though...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

I'm definitely still around. I do a lot of reading, but not so much posting these days.

It's interesting that this topic brought up the potential burden of mega threads, because that's been my exact problem lately -- I just can't keep up. Except in extreme circumstances I feel compelled to read all postings before I make a comment, and so I've sadly dropped out of certain topics that seem to spawn a dozen pages overnight. The Games Beaten thread has been phenomenally successful this year, for example, and I wish I could give it the attention it deserves. This is obviously is problem with me and not with the board, but it seems reasonable that this might be an intimidating hurdle for new users.

The subforum discussion is interesting too. I personally never go into the genre sections, and rarely into the platform sections. I'm sure there's all kinds of stuff in there, but again, I only have so much time, and I hit a limit on how much I can keep up with.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this response added nothing to the discussion. But like Exhuminator, the forum brought me here, and that's entirely why I've stayed. I've only read a handful of articles on the site. And don't get me wrong -- they were great! I'm sure all the others are great, too. But they're not why this place has been a consistent part of my life for the past five years.

If we're looking for an influx of new users, it might be worthwhile to focus on developing more interactive or collaborative projects for the site, like a Racket Twitch channel (does that exist?), a revival of the podcast, or some way to bring the Together Retro phenomenon to a bigger audience. Maybe even combining Together Retro -- or Games Beaten -- with the Twitch or podcast ideas somehow? I mean, I for one would definitely tune in for a weekly or monthly show featuring a bunch of Racketfolks dishing their experiences on those topics. That kind of community experience is what I love best about this place. And having it in audio form might even mean I could keep up with it better!

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Racket Twitch channel is a good idea. Especially if it were used as an outreach tool.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Ok so I've read thru a lot of this forum. I started on this site I think in 2010 or 2009. I still like this site and for me I have gotten to have and gain some personal friends and I would do anything for them. Even if they live from Minnesota, or texas, or Kentucky, I may not be able to just go to their house they know if they need me or I need them they are just a text away.
As far as the other members go, I also have become and I feel like I have become good friends with them. I have learned a lot and grown up with people here and I have gotten in contact from the sega cdx, to the wii online to the nes, Atari 7800, etc. You all have helped me grown up thru the years and I have become a better person thru a lot of you. This site helped me get a house, pay my debt off so I can save for a house, helped my sister in law, helped me go thru I thought a mid life crisis, Helped me thru my brother rich dying, control my gaming habits by getting everdrives for the most part he he lol.
I never thought I would be still around and yet so many people have left by either getting kicked out or because of arguments or conflict. This site is a gaming site. It was and I still believe it still is a gaming site where people care and love video games. We have lost a lot of people and we have grown over the years and even if a lot of don't collect or sold everything to only get it back lol or to just emulate we are still gamers in our hearts and that what this site is all about. And its going to take all of us as a team to grow together and cut away from the negativity and comments that we share to make people get upset and turn negative and say the wrongs this and then either leave and never be heard from again or get thrown out and its no good and its got to stop.
I quickly thought of some topics that I want to throw out there that might help. I am just giving an opinion and if it works then cool but here is what I would like to see on racketboy.

Update the articles with top ten games or hidden gems with current prices or even update the cheapest games especially now with the market on some have dropped and others have sky rocketed.
I visit sega-16 and I love the stories from the books of volumes and readers roundtables. In the readers roundtables they grab the moderators and they write on what they are playing for maybe every other month or monthly and discuss about what they are playing.
Like I bet for December people will be talking about batman returns for the genesis or snes and have a brief info from the player on why they chose that game and how they feel about it and if it stands up or worth playing today.
As far as the stories from the books and volumes, People discuss how they got their first sega system and have fond memories about that. Maybe we should just have people write in to the mods about their best memory on their console and how they got it and who ever has the best story for the quarter or however we put it the winner will have it put up. I love to read how people got their system from a trade or xmas and talk about how they love their first console.
Those are just a couple of ideas from me. As far as the arguing goes we need to just stop, no more insults, no more crying or complaining or anything like that and if its from like politics or religion or a touchy topic then we should not add those forums on here anymore.
I mean if its that bad and you guys want to complain or argue then give it to me. Maybe ill just post another thread like
Should I get rid of my sega genesis for a tg16?
Thinking about getting a game boy for the 21th time.
Whats better Nintendo 64 or sega dreamcast
Should I keep buying snes games since I own an everdrive?
I mean do you want me to continue lol. If anyone wants to vent ill post those up and you can vent there I promise I wont mind