The Alien & Predator Appreciation Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
jp1
Next-Gen

Re: The Alien & Predator Appreciation Thread

Post by jp1 »

noiseredux wrote:so *might* know someone who has acquired an Nvidia Shield TV. And maybe it came with access to Aliens Vs. Pinball for free (w/ ads). Maybe.

How do you like the Shield? It used to be on my short list.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: The Alien & Predator Appreciation Thread - Alien Day is

Post by Nemoide »

noiseredux wrote:Semi-related - have any of you read that Archie Vs Predator graphic novel yet? I've had my eye on it since I first saw it while Christmas shopping and have been wondering if it's any good. (IE: is it actually funny? Is it mindful of the Predator source material?)

I just want to say that I highly recommend that Archie vs. Predator comic! IMO it's absolutely mindful of the Predator source material while also being super silly and ridiculous. It feels like a genuine Archie comic more than anything else, but an Archie comic where main characters sometimes are gutted and have their heads ripped off. A SICK DELIGHT! I mean, Archie & the gang are about as effective at fighting against an interplanetary death-alien as you'd imagine.

The writer, Alex de Campi, knows her Archie and knows her Predator.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

jp1 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:so *might* know someone who has acquired an Nvidia Shield TV. And maybe it came with access to Aliens Vs. Pinball for free (w/ ads). Maybe.

How do you like the Shield? It used to be on my short list.

well it's no secret that I'm a fan of the Shield line. I have now owned all 3 devices. As far as the Shield TV goes let me say that if you have the right set up, it is hands down the best "set top box" I've ever seen. Yes, it's pricey. But it's truly awesome. I've built several "under the TV" boxes over the years with the intention of trying to make something that could stream lots of media and play lots of games. But none of my home-made solutions have been so eloquent. This thing plays Android games of course, but also can stream my PC games since I have a GTX. It's got the obvious Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, and so on but it loads these up SO MUCH faster than any Roku/etc I've ever used. I guess because of the K1 chip; and maybe because I can hardwire this. And maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me, but Netflix looks way better than my previous (HDMI) Roku stick. It's also got full size USB ports... so it'd be easy to attach some external HDD's full of media.

Basically the two additions I'd like to see added are (1) the Comcast/Xfinity app - which is something that apparently they're working on. If this thing can stream live TV for me it would mean one less cable box in the house. (2) If I could plug in a USB DVD/BR drive and watch movies through it then I would legitimately have no need for anything other than the Shield to be hooked up to my TV.

Sorry to go so off topic there in such detail... I almost feel like the Shield line of devices is worth their own thread haha.

Nemoide wrote:I just want to say that I highly recommend that Archie vs. Predator comic! IMO it's absolutely mindful of the Predator source material while also being super silly and ridiculous. It feels like a genuine Archie comic more than anything else, but an Archie comic where main characters sometimes are gutted and have their heads ripped off. A SICK DELIGHT! I mean, Archie & the gang are about as effective at fighting against an interplanetary death-alien as you'd imagine.

The writer, Alex de Campi, knows her Archie and knows her Predator.

Wow, that's awesome to hear. Truthfully it LOOKED silly to me but at the same time I still kind of wanted to read it just to see for myself. Thanks for the recommendation!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Some of the first info I've seen on the 2018 Predator film. Dwyane Johnson with Shane Black directing, looking for the Ridley Scott Alien vibe. Sounds promising...

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/06/09/sh ... -franchise
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jagosaurus wrote:Some of the first info I've seen on the 2018 Predator film. Dwyane Johnson with Shane Black directing, looking for the Ridley Scott Alien vibe. Sounds promising...

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/06/09/sh ... -franchise

that's awesome. It sounds like they're really taking this movie seriously. 2018 is too far away. But at least we'll have some new Alien before then.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

noiseredux wrote:Basically the two additions I'd like to see added are (1) the Comcast/Xfinity app - which is something that apparently they're working on. If this thing can stream live TV for me it would mean one less cable box in the house. (2) If I could plug in a USB DVD/BR drive and watch movies through it then I would legitimately have no need for anything other than the Shield to be hooked up to my TV.

well apparently it does support external DVD drives that have M-Disc support, which mine does. So basically, if/when the Xfinity app comes out then I'll be set. 8)

Seriously though, I should prob start a Shield thread haha.
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

noiseredux wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Basically the two additions I'd like to see added are (1) the Comcast/Xfinity app - which is something that apparently they're working on. If this thing can stream live TV for me it would mean one less cable box in the house. (2) If I could plug in a USB DVD/BR drive and watch movies through it then I would legitimately have no need for anything other than the Shield to be hooked up to my TV.

well apparently it does support external DVD drives that have M-Disc support, which mine does. So basically, if/when the Xfinity app comes out then I'll be set. 8)

Seriously though, I should prob start a Shield thread haha.

Sounds like a good idea. I'm still on the fence, mostly because I just purchased some new home theater equipment from SVS and I need to pay for that first. But, I need to know if I should get one of these.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

jp1 wrote:But, I need to know if I should get one of these.

I actually bumped your old Shield TV thread w/ more info. Feel free to ask any questions you have.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

unused Alien Isolation intro stuff: http://www.pcgamer.com/alien-isolations ... -sequence/
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

On my desk is a picture of me with The Alien from the movies, and my Alien toy. My wife framed the photos as a gift for me one year knowing how much I love the movies. That's love.

Last edited by J T on Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry