Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: Tabletop games!!

by strangenova Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:45 pm

I guess I need to post up on there looking for some players and to do some research. All these years as a gamer and I've hardly moved into board games beyond risk or magic the gathering.

I don't think I've ever played a racing board game.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:07 pm

There are three I would suggest, Mississippi Queen, Formula De/Formula D, and Pitchcar/Carabande.

Forgive the double names, boardgames are universal so games get released under different titles in different areas, or they get rereleased with a different name, and it is just a habit to make sure everyone is on the same page. Mississippi Queen I already explained most of. The object is to obtain 1 or 2 ladies by stopping at docks on the way as the map changes every section:

You have a red speed dial that can go up or down one each turn, each represents a hex you can move or rotate. Then you have a black coal dial which lets you go up more than one on the red dial, but does not replenish. Thats basically it, you have to stop to get two ladies from two different docks and get to the end first. It is alot of fun with four people, and bogs down alot with more than that.

Formula De however is Formula one racing with about 40 official maps and a couple thousand fan made ones. A couple maps go together to make even bigger maps:
Each player has tableau with different stats on it, and a "gear shifter" for what gear you are in:
Depending on the gear you have a different die you use. In first it is a d4 with 1,1,2,2 on it, in second it is a d6 with 2,3,3,4,4,4, all the way up to sixth gears d30 with 21-30 three times each. To stop you from just accelerating all the way up, you are require to stop a certain amount of in each turn or chicane - up to four. There are all sorts of other rules on how to play with weather effects and driver fatigue.

Formula D is De but with street racing aswell as the Formula one tracks. They tried to make a Rush game into a boardgame... But it is readily available and alot of fun if you have some like minded racing friends. In middle of no where Alabama (Roxana for those that think they know the area) there use to be a Live For Speed Racing league that during the downtime played alot of Formula De. A friend of mine was hardcore into LFS so I went along with him, did not make the qualifier, and spent the rest of the day playing Formula De matches. It was awesome. The only downside to these games is that the maps get expensive over time. I have scanned all of mine, so I have them incase something happens, but itll be $20 to print each one.

Pitchcar is different. It is made for drinking while playing. You build a track out of puzzle pieces and then race on it by flicking carroms:
Note that is an extreme setup with lots of extra pieces.

It is easy to play, everyone has a good time, and it is one of those games where people will cheer when a good shot is made. However, since it is all wood, it is stupidly heavy and thus expensive because of shipping.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:02 pm

Wow I have a group of friends who probably wouldn't play board games with me but they would love formula d. I'm gonna have to get that to draw some people into a group haha.

It's a pretty nifty idea shifting gears for better dice and using racetracks as boards.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:06 am

Well I went to target and got Catan and Forbidden Island. I loved them both, and she loved them too.

Thanks for the suggestions and replies. I'm gonna work towards getting a few more of the ones suggested here. And after some more games of Catan I can definitely see us getting one of the expansions
marurun

by marurun Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:25 pm

If you want a very simple, quick, but attractive and quite enjoyable game that's good for 2-8 people, try Tsuro.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SQ ... 1_1&sr=8-1
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:12 pm

marurun wrote:If you want a very simple, quick, but attractive and quite enjoyable game that's good for 2-8 people, try Tsuro.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SQ ... 1_1&sr=8-1

I second the suggestion of Tsuro, or as I like to call it, "Asian Light Cycles." The game is insanely easy for anyone to pick up and play and the games can get incredibly heated. If you want to have a bit more complicated version, grab Tsuro of the Seas, which add new elements to the game that make it a bit more complicated, yet still very easy to play and incredibly fun!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:13 am

I am glad Tsuro is back in print because I still dont have a copy. For a while there it was stupidly expensive.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:22 am

Probably will never happen but I want Fireball Island again :(

Whoops wrong thread, more of a random thought. I'm out of the tabletop games game.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:26 am

I was eyeballing it last night on ebay. I can part the bulk of one together for about $100. Still too much, but man it is tempting. My copy got stolen in college.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:37 am

fastbilly1 wrote:I was eyeballing it last night on ebay. I can part the bulk of one together for about $100. Still too much, but man it is tempting. My copy got stolen in college.

I've seen some completed sales go for $300!
I believe it was you a couple years back that refreshed my memory on the name of this game, right?
I know I had a vauge description and you nailed it for me. :)
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever