Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: Tabletop games!!

by strangenova Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:56 am

These games all sound awesome. I think I'm gonna start with Catan and Forbidden Island. They sound like some real good beginners tabletop games.

I appreciate the suggestions and don't hesitate to make some more. If we like catan, what's a good game to level up from there?
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:04 pm

So I couldn't get my hands on catan for a good price, so I went with Puerto rico. It had really good reviews and it seems to play alot like a cms video game.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Puerto Rico is a very very different game than Settlers. One of my buddies loves it, but it's definitely far more complicated in my opinion. Can be fun enough once you figure it out, but nowhere near as pick up and play.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:44 am

Catan should be at your local Target.

You need to look at what kinds of games you and your wife like. There are several distinct sections of boardgaming and sometimes it is hard to cross over them. The main four you will see are:
Collectable - Magic the Gathering, Mage Knight, Pokemon TCG, etc
European - Settlers of Catan, Carrasone, Power Gird, Ticket to Ride, Agricola
American - Axis and Allies, Civilization, Dune, Fury of Dracula, War of the Ring
Wargames - Squad Leader, Conflict of Heroes, A House Divided, Ogre

There are games that fall out of these sections, like most dexterity games, but the bulk of games fall into one or two of these four styles. But there are reasons for these sections.

Collectable games are usually expansions based, made to travel and fit several matches in an hour or so. They are typically tactical in nature, either card or miniature based. Magic is the penultimate example, but there are literally thousands of collectable games out there. Some have set expansions some are random. Instead of going easy and using magic, I am going to use a defunct one - Pirates of the Spanish Main:
Ships were sold in booster packs, they are small sheets of styrofoam that you popout and then assemble. Games were playable in a small area and there were thousands of combinations to play with. And like most out of print collectables, for $50 you can buy someones collection and have a solid bit of gaming time with it.

European games are typically not confrontation based, combat is rare. Randomness is typically mitigated by external factors, theme is usually in the forefront (though not alawys tied to the game mechanics), and components are often made of wood over plastic. Some are multiplayer solitare, where you are vying for victory points while you build a farm or abbey, others are about racing boats/balloons/dogsleds/etc. Catan is an easy example:
It is all about building a small empire peacefully. The worst conflict you will have is moving a robber onto the opponents area, or blocking them with a road. Winner is the one with the most victory points at the end.

American games are often called Ameritrash. They feature confrontation, heavy combat, randomness, plastic pieces, and dripping with theme that is often tied to direct mechanics. For a perfect example, I will use a game that most of us will never own again - Fireball Island:
You are explorers on an island watched over by a giant totem of a native god. You move based on rolling dice and when you stop you draw a card. The cards may let you move forward faster, or it may cause the god to shoot a fireball down the board at you, knocking everyone on the path out of the way. This is a 3d board, lots of specific to the game pieces, all made of plastic, and heavily luck driven. It is an American styled game to the tee.

Wargames are what real men play. When you want to recreate a battle at the squad or infantry level, that is what a wargame is for. The game design has changed minimally since 1960, the art style is typically NATO based, tactics will win, no plastic or wood all pieces are cardboard chits, get used to reading rules in the standard X.X.XX format, Conflict Result Tables remove luck, and your average opponent will be your fathers age. I use to think I was a grognard (it is the title for wargamers, it is french for "a soldier of the old guard") since I loved a couple of them - Panzer Leader and Ogre specifically, then I met a guy who played the Europa series only. Anyone who plays a monster wargame made of the entire Europa series, where turns are typically four to six hours per side, is too hardcore for me. the map ends up looking like this:

Now all that said, there are games that cross between the two sections. Like Heroscape, now somewhat rereleased as Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers, is a collectable American game. And there are other games that defy everything, like Loopin Louie/Chewie. But if you can figure out what style game works for you and your gaming group, you will have a much easier time finding new games.

Personally I am a hardcore American player. I like dice, I like plastic pieces I can paint, and above all I like stories. My wife tolerates these things, but hates playing direct conflict and loves playing coop. I ran boardgaming for a couple conventions for three years and ended up with a collection of several hundred titles, but have paired it down to a few that my wife and I love. Right now we cycle between Planeswalkers, Ogre, Mississippi Queen, and Carroms. But we will be bringing out longer games for the winter months, I foresee Defenders of the Realm getting alot of play.

Once you figure out what kinds of games you and your wife like, you can move up from there. Since she does not like conflict, most American will be right out. But there are plenty of great Euros. What kind of videogames do yall like to play?

All images borrowed from Board Game Geek.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:43 am

fastbilly1 wrote: What kind of videogames do yall like to play?

Me personally, alot of rpgs, fighters, rts and cms games.

Her, she leans more towards platformers, simulators and light action rpg games.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:23 pm

If yall like Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, or Pandemic, you must play Defenders of the Realm. It takes a similar gameplay concept, sorta like a multiplayer puzzle, then adds light rpg elements like leveling, questing, and boss fights. It does cost $60, and there are a dozen expansions you can pickup:

Another good one yall might like is Tales of Arabian Nights:

It is a story driven romp through the magical world of Scheherazade tales from 1001 Nights. You play as Sinbad, Aladdin, Ali Baba, and the rest, traveling through the magical middle east on a variety of quest. The catch here is that as you play you get to read through a giant tome of random excerpts from the original book to explain what happens. Kinda like a choose your own adventure book inside of an RPG. In the last game I played I was doing great as Sinbad with all sorts of followers and ablilities. Victory within reach until I came upon a spring in the desert. I drank from the spring and the book was not kind it made me into a woman. This made me lose most of my followers, was robbed of my possessions, then lost most of my abilities to a djinn, was later captured by pirates, and sold to a Maharaja (in the town I needed to drop off the victory item to that was robbed from me). My wife was cackling the whole time.

Runebound might also be a good fit. I have parts of a couple of the large expansions I picked up last year, but have only played it once and did not like it so I cannot attest to it.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:32 pm

Defenders of the realm looks really cool! Yeah I'm thinking more Co op style games for us to play. We like working together to beat video games, so it should feel nice to do the same on a tabletop.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:37 pm

Head to Target and get Catan and Forbidden Island. They should run you about $60 together.

If you like Forbidden Island, get Defenders around the holidays. Or if you have a fandom convention near you you can get a day pass and go try to find a copy in the game room, to try before you buy.

What neck of the woods are you in?
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:47 pm

Southwest louisiana. It's pretty void of awesome conventions but we do have a target
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:11 pm

The only one I can think of is LouisiANIME in Baton Rouge. But a four hour drive to Houston will net you a bunch of all types. The other thing you can do is look on BGG in the Southeast section for game meetups in your area:
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/75/boar ... /southeast

Unlike videogaming, boardgaming has one real nexus site. It is big, unwieldy, feels like it has weird unspoken rules, but is super useful even if just browsing. I have found many games I would have never known about because of it, like the expansion to Mississippi Queen - The Black Rose:

Mississippi Queen is a multiplayer race game about paddle boats down the Mississippi. It is easy to play and a lot of fun. The Black Rose adds two more player ships, and the eponymous ship which control swaps to who ever is the furthers back. So she usually gets put into positions that makes it difficult for others to navigate.

Sadly it has not been in print since the 90s so the Black Rose is stupid expensive, the base game is not though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MISSISSIPPI-QUE ... 2359d7a986

But not everyone enjoys playing random race games.

I am disappointed that Erik_Twice has not posted in this one. He is a hardcore boardgamer and on several related forums (I keep bumping into him).

Related to this conversation, does anyone here play a fantasy miniatures wargame, like Warhammer, Kings of War, DBA, or Armies of Arcana? I have four of the mid 90s Citadel Scenery set pieces and will be willing to sell them to someone here for a cut rate under ebays. I have the Ork Village, Dwarf Mine, Cemetery, and Destroy Chimera Tank. Id like to sell/trade them as a package but I can piece out the tank (since it is 40k).
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever