Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
jfrost
Next-Gen

Board games and others for 4 players or fewer

by jfrost Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:04 pm

My friends and I have our go to game for any game night: Ruse & Bruise.

Which is awesome, as you can see here in a picture in one of the new Instagram filters:

It's not exactly a board game (it's a card game), but you understand it.

We were talking about getting a second game for when we want to play something. What do you guys suggest?

Outside the big name games, obviously.
Last edited by jfrost on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Board games and others for 4 players or less

by samsonlonghair Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:11 am

Jenga is good for four or fewer players. It's an OK game when you're sober, but it's really fun when everyone is a little drunk and clumsy.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Board games and others for 4 players or fewer

by Nemoide Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:10 am

I'm a fan of Ticket to Ride.
It's a train-building game that's a lot of fun but I don't think a description can really do it justice!
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:22 am

Well, it depends what kind of games you like and how much complexity can your group tolerate. Since you speak of a second game, I take you are not a huge board gamer so I'll try to recommend games based on that.

Citadels - A quick, nasty card game that scales very well from 3 to 6 or more players. If it's still being played after two decades, it's for a reason.

Pandemic - Still one of the best cooperative games in the market, fun and accessible with tons of replay value. It should be fine with both 3 and 4 players.

Chaos in the Old World - Really fun, asymmetric strategy game. 4-player only, better with repeated plays so players understand the different factions better.

Cosmic Encounter - Raw fun, but it's a negotiation game so it's only for four players or more.

Steam: Rails to Riches - Probably more difficult to get into than the other games, but it's the best economic game I've played. Really, really, nasty. It will require a lot of thought and planning so it may be too serious for your group, though.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:36 pm

Wow, thanks, Erik.

Definitely taking a look at them.

And no, we're not big gamers. We found out about Ruse & Bruise by accident and it became our go to game.

We just like to get together for some game nights, and tabletop games can be even more fun than video games (which I know more about, obviously).

We just get together to watch soccer, MMA, drink, eat some crap and play games, so we really do not want anything super deep.
marurun

by marurun Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:28 pm

Wiz War is awesome. It just is. Strategy and luck, together again, kicking butt and taking all the treasure.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
joehero
32-bit

by joehero Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:33 pm

Cards Against Humanity ( a game for horrible people). Not something you can play with everyone, very crass but hilarious.
Beyond Balder dash is awesome if you are a bull shitter.
Rummikub - like rummy but with ceramic tiles.
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:10 pm

Cards Against Humanity is out of the question.

While I do speak English and understand most of the references, my friends don't.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Easy to play and language independent, you cannot get better than Pitchcar/Carabande:
(image is of Pitchcar Mini)

It is a simple race game where you flick carroms around a track you build out of giant puzzle pieces. It is perfect with four or five players.

Standard Carroms is a good choice aswell, American version (think of it like billiards). As is Crokinole (but Crokinole can be expensive in your area).
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:16 pm

Thanks, fast. I thought you could give good suggestions.

Mind, I don't have problems with games with names or rules in English. The problem is just making it very dependent on English for references, or even having us reading the cards all the time in English.

I'm thinking of an afternoon with my buddies playing Cards Against Humanity and I having to translate the black and white cards all the time for them.

Which is what I do for work already. So fun!
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever