Criterion Guide - Barnes & Noble 50% Off Twice Year Sale

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: 50% Off Sale Criterion Barnes Noble - Criterion Info Thr

Post by TSTR »

Is anyone gonna buy the movie about eating poop?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Salo? I totally own it. It's intense. I'd recommend it if you want an unpleasant experience that's also artistically raw and powerful?

Oh and I forgot Sparticus - one of the very few Kubrick movies I *don't* own. And even though it's on non-Criterion blu-ray, I'd rather have Criterion bonus features. And Jubilee is one I've wanted for years! And I don't think I actually own any Ozu films...
Maybe I'll end up buying *two* movies during this sale.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Ah! The B&N Criterion(/Art-house) sale! It comes but once a year :D

As it happened I had the day off today, so I stopped by the store and picked up Repo Man, Kuroneko, Ran, and The Illusionist. (Those last two aren't Criterion, but I've had my eye on them for a while.) This brings my meager Criterion collection up to 13. No where near Nemoide's selection, but I've been trying to stick with Blu-rays (plus one laserdisc), and their pricey-ness often limits me to sale time.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Updated the OP, a reminder for the Criterion and Art House video sale at Barnes Noble, Last day is July 28th.

Cronozilla wrote:I always wished there were Criterion-like editions for "Classic" beloved games.

Criterion Reviews : http://www.criterionforum.org/reviews.php

Attachments
Criterion Sale Barnes Noble.jpg
Criterion Sale Barnes Noble.jpg (78.45 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Jesus fucking Christ! The first post in this thread is epic :shock:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

After much hemming & hawing I placed my order!

King of Kings - this will be the first Cecil B. DeMille film I'll watch! I saw a *little* of The Ten Commandments on TV when I was a kid but that doesn't count. All I know about his reputation is that a film professor of mine described him as filling his movies with scantly-clad slave-girls under the guise of religious epics? But accordion to Criterion's description this movie is reverent and serious? I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT!

Tokyo Story - I love Japanese culture so I'm a little embarrassed that I've only seen one of Yasujiro Ozu's other movies and I don't even remember what it was called - there was a season in the title... which doesn't narrow it down at all. But I'm looking forward to SAD FAMILY DRAMA because I'm under the impression that that's kind of his jam? I was torn between this and Stories of Floating Weeds, but picked this one mostly because it's on Blu-Ray.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Criterion Guide

Post by CRTGAMER »

The Criterion sale is over until next year at Barnes Noble. Not sure what titles go on sale in six months.

Updated the OP with more Criterion information and a few more Jean-Pierre Jeunet movies.

The Criterion Brazil especially is tricky in identifying which box set to pick up.

Criterion Movies 01.jpg
Criterion Movies 01.jpg (251.91 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

KnuckIfYouBuckley
8-bit

Re: Criterion Guide

Post by KnuckIfYouBuckley »

Barnes & Noble doesn't do the Criterion sale in Novembers anymore? I remember in years past they'd do one in the summertime and then another again in November. Then again, I haven't bought a Criterion release since when "City Lights" was originally released due to it being my favorite film of all-time, although some of their subsequent releases have piqued my interest.
I sell video games and video game accessories.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

CRTGAMER wrote:If there is one Akira Kurosawa movie to watch, make it Ikiru.

Fixed ;) Nice thread, BTW.

Nemoide wrote:Tokyo Story - I love Japanese culture so I'm a little embarrassed that I've only seen one of Yasujiro Ozu's other movies and I don't even remember what it was called - there was a season in the title... which doesn't narrow it down at all. But I'm looking forward to SAD FAMILY DRAMA because I'm under the impression that that's kind of his jam? I was torn between this and Stories of Floating Weeds, but picked this one mostly because it's on Blu-Ray.

Sad family drama is absolutely Ozu's jam. Absolutely beautiful films and Tokyo Story is one of his best.
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Criterion Guide

Post by J T »

Move to "Criterion Posts" subforum. ;)
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry