That cyberpunk thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
J T
Next-Gen

That cyberpunk thread

Post by J T »

Don your goggle sets, punch into your decks, augment your neural code, and lets talk about all things cyberpunk!

Many of my favorite video games, movies, books, and music have a cyberpunk setting. I love the future worlds of low lifes with hi-tech, of megacorps puppeteering politicians, of hackers code-jamming the system, of junkies iced out on stims, and of artificial intelligences awakening into sentience.

If you like these things too, then this is the thread for you. Let's talk about anything cyberpunk related, whether it be games, movies, books, anime, music, future-tech, whatever. We can even just talk about the genre itself and where it's headed. Or maybe you're just a big fan of that Billy Idol album and want to share the love.

Let's move boldly into the not-so-distant future!

My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
J T
Next-Gen

Re: That cyberpunk thread

Post by J T »

I'll start us off just by saying that if you love cyberpunk videogames, the title you should be keeping an eye on for the near future is CD Project Red's (of Witcher and GOG fame) upcoming game Cyberpunk 2077.

http://cyberpunk.net/
*click for trailer*
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I found this dated documentary about cyberpunk. I haven't watched it all yet, but it has some nice interview segments with William Gibson, author of the genre-defining novel Neuromancer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbp6G8do2_E

Actually, I sort of love dated cyberpunk tech. I recently watched Johnny Mnemonic, which I don't recommend, but it was funny that the whole premise was they needed to use his brain to store data that he could run as a courier. It's a big deal that his brain has 160GB of memory space. :lol: This whole story makes no sense now because you could readily transfer that amount of data over the internet much more efficiently and securely or just pop it on a protected USB drive.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Gemini Rue is an amazing Cyber Punk adventure game, highly recommend it to everyone.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

I love Johnny Mnemonic. The casting alone is insane--Dolph Lundgren, Beat Takeshi, Udo Kier, Ice-T, Henry Rollins...

Oh, and Jones the dolphin.

Another funny thing of note re: dated cyberpunk tech is in Hackers, where a 28.8 modem is "insanely great."
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

emwearz wrote:Gemini Rue is an amazing Cyber Punk adventure game, highly recommend it to everyone.

I am presently playing this on Android after I lost track of my PC save. It's damn near perfect as far as point and click adventures go.

It also has some already obsolete future tech like public vid-phones. Since it is a modern game, I found this to be a choice for a weird form of nostalgia for an older vision of the future that was eventually replaced with the reality of cellphones and Skype instead.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

J T wrote:
emwearz wrote:Gemini Rue is an amazing Cyber Punk adventure game, highly recommend it to everyone.

I am presently playing this on Android after I lost track of my PC save. It's damn near perfect as far as point and click adventures go.

It also has some already obsolete future tech like public vid-phones. Since it is a modern game, I found this to be a choice for a weird form of nostalgia for an older vision of the future that was eventually replaced with the reality of cellphones and Skype instead.

I love stuff like that!
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

TSTR wrote:I love Johnny Mnemonic. The casting alone is insane--Dolph Lundgren, Beat Takeshi, Udo Kier, Ice-T, Henry Rollins...

Oh, and Jones the dolphin.

I do love Ice-T's cool (ridiculous?) hair and wardrobe.
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

Post by grittykitty »

i actually watched johnny mnemonic on monday night! i need to get one of those memory doublers for myself...

my introduction to cyberpunk was the sega genesis version of shadowrun, which is still one of my favorite things ever, and i always jump at the chance to say things like "chummer" and "slot off, frag face!"

i've had neuromancer for a couple years, but can never read past chapter 2 before something else distracts me (i guess cyberpunk is more of a visual thing for me).

and how bout akira? i love the first half of the movie but tend to lose interest towards the middle. i have the 2nd graphic novel, but wanna read the 1st since that's got more of the settings i love in cyberpunk - the seedy underground!

and speaking of shadowrun...
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Episode 1 is live.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image