Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Hip Hop/Rap Fanatics Unite!

by noiseredux Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:51 pm

yeah "Chum" and "Woah" have me so excited about Doris. I'm w/ you on the whole thing about young rappers and the sort of change in acceptance of material. I mean look at Kendrick's GOOD KID MAAD CITY. What an honest record. One that I think wouldn't have been made say 10 years ago even.
muhanad
64-bit

by muhanad Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Glad we got some wu tang junkies. The Wu is amazing.

Luke wrote:Would love to see you guys rate the Wu-Tang albums, collabs and stand alones. So many great records

Im up for it. I wanna do the chef's album rankings. We should def do all the group albums, im interested to see your opinions.

noiseredux wrote:2012: Wu-Block (w/ D-Block) - really nice and hardcore. Kinda like his album w/ Trife. This shit is not for radio. It's just hardcore NYC rhymes and beats. Def for the fans but worth every penny.

Is ghost your favorite? He def had some great albums. Dont get me wrong, I really like WuBlock and Ghost is great, but I felt like it couldve been much better, and just ended up being lots of Ghost and Sheek (not that thats a bad thing at all). If we had more SP and Kiss, and more Rae and Meth, wouldve been even better. But no matter, still a great album.
mister j-y
24-bit

by mister j-y Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:14 pm

noiseredux wrote:...look at Kendrick's GOOD KID MAAD CITY. What an honest record. One that I think wouldn't have been made say 10 years ago even.

This guy and Earl have awakened new hope.

I need to cop that King Geedorah and listen to Bl_ck B_st_rds again!
Systems: PS3, XBox360, Wii-U, New 3DS XL, DC, oXBox, GC (w/GB Player), PSP, DS, GBA, SNES, Megadrive, GB
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:32 pm

mister j-y wrote:This guy and Earl have awakened new hope.

I really think you'd like A$AP. Download his Live.Love.A$AP. mixtape. For me.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:34 pm

noiseredux wrote:Luke, I don't mean to single you out cuz others have already done it, but this is why I hate discussing hip hop. I feel like for whatever reason these conversations are never dudes trying to turn each other on to something they may like and have missed. Instead, they turn into "the guy I like is better than the shit you like" contests. Which is really boring to me.

But there was the whole East coast vs West coast thing and so much classic rap was all about saying you're a better rapper than the rest. Then there are Rap Battles which are often specifically about putting down the other guy, even if it is often tongue in cheek. Other genres don't tend to have this "I'm better than you" thread interwoven in their culture. Don't you think that ends up affecting fans and the discussion of the music?

(I might be totally talking out of my ass and have no idea what I'm saying since I'm a casual listener and listen more for flow and beats and not lyrical messages)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Luke, I don't mean to single you out cuz others have already done it, but this is why I hate discussing hip hop. I feel like for whatever reason these conversations are never dudes trying to turn each other on to something they may like and have missed. Instead, they turn into "the guy I like is better than the shit you like" contests. Which is really boring to me.

But there was the whole East coast vs West coast thing and so much classic rap was all about saying you're a better rapper than the rest. Then there are Rap Battles which are often specifically about putting down the other guy, even if it is often tongue in cheek. Other genres don't tend to have this "I'm better than you" thread interwoven in their culture. Don't you think that ends up affecting fans and the discussion of the music?

(I might be totally talking out of my ass and have no idea what I'm saying since I'm a casual listener and listen more for flow and beats and not lyrical messages)

no, you're not talking out your ass at all. I had considered that myself. East v West. Nas v Jay-z. Etc. I get that. The craft of lyricism is competitive by nature. I'm just saying, it's not fun/interesting to me anymore. That's how I talked about music when I was in high school. But in my 30's I'm much more interested in encouraging others to hear new things. I'm interested in being exposed to new things. There was a time I thought Southern hip hop was simple and garbage. Now it's one of my favorite sub-genres. I'm just saying that I think it gets old to just shit on someone else's taste. I think these threads are more productive when everyone is open-minded. But for the most part, this one has done a good job so I'm happy.
mister j-y
24-bit

by mister j-y Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:39 pm

noiseredux wrote: I really think you'd like A$AP. Download his Live.Love.A$AP. mixtape. For me.

Haha ok
Systems: PS3, XBox360, Wii-U, New 3DS XL, DC, oXBox, GC (w/GB Player), PSP, DS, GBA, SNES, Megadrive, GB
muhanad
64-bit

by muhanad Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:But there was the whole East coast vs West coast thing and so much classic rap was all about saying you're a better rapper than the rest. Then there are Rap Battles which are often specifically about putting down the other guy, even if it is often tongue in cheek. Other genres don't tend to have this "I'm better than you" thread interwoven in their culture. Don't you think that ends up affecting fans and the discussion of the music?

Youre right, most people I know like to get into discussions like that, but maybe that just doesnt interest some people. And i understand why, cuz they probably are annoyed at defending and arguing. I think a balance is best.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:41 pm

I just think that the rival mentality of some of the music ends up spilling into the discussion of it, if subliminally.
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

by EvilRyu2099 Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Luke wrote:

Would love to see you guys rate the Wu-Tang albums, collabs and stand alones. So many great records.

God Tier: 36 Chambers, Liquid Swords, OB4CL
High Tier: Tical, Ironman, Supreme Clientele, Gravediggaz(6 Feet Deep), 36 Chambers Dirty Version
Mid Tier: Wu Tang Forever, GhostFace Albums after the first two, N**** Please
Low Tier: Bobby Digital, Uncontrolled Substance, Post 97 Wu Albums(Except Ghost)
Trash Tier: Immobilarity
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever