Hip Hop/Rap Fanatics Unite!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
OldSchool_Boy
Next-Gen

Re: Hip Hop/Rap Fanatics Unite!

Post by OldSchool_Boy »

Madlib - Medicine Show: The Brick

The original idea was simple: 12 releases, one per month, alternating between original works and mixtapes spanning different genres. It took a little longer than planned to hit number 12 – so a bonus, No. 13 was added to the mix. Now that the individual CD offerings are increasingly hard to locate, the Madlib Invazion crew has decide to collect the entire series into a single release. We call this collection Medicine Show: The Brick.

More description on each release is available on the site but I'm interested in this release.
final fight cd wrote:moral of story: when in a shady part of town, don't ask random thugs where the sega is at.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I have a few of them.
OldSchool_Boy
Next-Gen

Post by OldSchool_Boy »

noiseredux wrote:I have a few of them.

Which ones do you have and what do you think of them?
final fight cd wrote:moral of story: when in a shady part of town, don't ask random thugs where the sega is at.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I have 7 and 8 which were the two straight jazz ones. #7 is High Jazz, which is basically a follow up to Yesterdays Universe - another compilation of various tracks by various YNQ lineups. #8 is Advanced Jazz, which is a mixtape that Madlib did of jazz influences. It's collage style. As big a Madlib fan as I am, it's his jazz albums that I've always been the most obsessive with.

There's some other interesting ones in there though: History Of The Loop Digga (#5) is probably the best starting point; Low Budget HiFi (#11) is all collabs; Raw Medicine (#12) is all remixes.

I also think that the one he made w/ Guilty Simpson (#1) is probably up your alley.

It's crazy though. Dude made an album a month, switching up genres every time. And it still feels like he couldn't paint a full picture of just how big his pallet is. Love Madlib.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

Pitchfork: according to LA Reid, New A Tribe Called Quest album recorded before Phife Dawg's death "coming very soon"

During an interview on the Rap Radar podcast, L.A. Reid revealed that a new A Tribe Called Quest album is in the works. Reid, who is the CEO of Epic Records, was on the podcast to discuss the future of the label. “You know what I'm excited about, though: A Tribe Called Quest,” he said. “We have a Tribe Called Quest album coming. I'm really excited about that.” Reid said it was recorded before Phife Dawg passed away earlier this year, and that the entire group (including Jarobi White) was included.

“Man, it's really something special,” he said. “It's one of the things that I'm most excited about of everything we're working on.” He also said the album is “coming very soon.”

The album would be the group's first since 1998’s The Love Movement.

please please be more Love Movement and less Beats Rhymes & Life
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

If you are a hip hop/rap fanatic, you need to be watching The Get Down right now on Netflix. Sooooo gooood!

https://www.netflix.com/title/80025601
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUC2EQvdzmY

DJ Shadow + Run the Jewels, this is my favorite video in a while & a dope track too
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Been playing demigodz killmatic a week straight now. I heard aotp plenty but this album I enjoy more. Maybe it's the better beats or whatnot, just flows better than anything I heard from aotp. Plus I just feel like these guys are a throw back to true rap, not all the blind bling, swag shit on the radio nowadays.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

this tribe album isn't just AOTY, it's my favorite thing in forever & the timing can't be more perfect

literally can't wait for the vinyl to drop
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Yeah new Tribe blew everything out the water this year.