Books!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Books!

Post by Jagosaurus »

I still need to pick up Dune!

Finished The Howling II (later retitled The Howling Reborn). I actually liked it better than book 1. More action.

From reviews The Howling III (aka Echoes) is a bit of a black sleep and has several incontinuities with the first two books. Odd considering it's the same author and considered a trilogy.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

The cover says "New History", but hardly anything in the book is new per se. The author didn't have exclusive access to any secret files or anything of the sort. However as a review of that interesting era, it's pretty informative.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
puke_face

Post by puke_face »

Finally biting the bullet and reading this beauty after having it for 7 years and only cracking it open one other time. The sheer size of the book is intimidating, but the content is rich in 14th century history. So far I've reached the 4th chapter with quite a few more to go. Hopefully I can get it finished before too far into next year.

oxymoron
Next-Gen

Post by oxymoron »

I'm starting a, I guess you could call it, quirky/weird/different book collection. I got inspired by this record store that had a book section but only holds very odd, eye-catching books. I was wondering if you guy had any recommendations.

So far I have so far to give you an idea.

- The Numberlys by William Joyce
http://www.amazon.com/The-Numberlys-Wil ... 1442473436

I thought the artwork was quite interesting and it was on sale for $3. :P

- Toilets of the World by Morna E. Gregory
http://www.amazon.com/Toilets-World-Mor ... 1858944996

A book about toilets? Figured it was a good start for the weird aspect.

- F U, Penguin: Telling Cute Animals What's What
http://www.amazon.com/Penguin-Telling-C ... 0345518160

Seemed funny and different. Plus it was $4 with Prime shipping so why not?
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

I saw an interview by chance on C-Span with the author, so decided to pick it up. In relative terms, Nixon was a better leader than what's on offer today. Yes even morality isn't absolute.

2015 has been a paltry year for reading for me.. Anyone else fared better with your fantasy books? :lol:
Ack

Post by Ack »

Pulsar_t wrote:Anyone else fared better with your fantasy books? :lol:

You understand how much this makes you sound like a prick, right?

But no, I actually finally finished Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's The Cabinet of Curiosities last night. I had previously read their book The Relic and greatly enjoyed it, but this time...this time not so much. It took me months of crawling through this because I quickly found I absolutely loathe their hero, Special Agent Pendergast. He was fine in The Relic, just mysterious enough to be interesting but up against the kind of creature one might find in a Michael Crichton novel. Here, with the spotlight on him, he simply becomes too perfect.

Well, I'm glad to be through this. I don't think I'll be returning to this series again.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Ack wrote:
Pulsar_t wrote:Anyone else fared better with your fantasy books? :lol:

You understand how much this makes you sound like a prick, right?

I think that was a bridge that got burned yonks ago :lol:
catnip
128-bit

Post by catnip »

Just re-read two of my favorite books from childhood, The Samurai's Tale and The Boy and the Samurai. Erik Haugaard is a master storyteller whose cadence I can only describe as poetic. His narrative voice reads as though he has a sad, pensive smile throughout. The Samurai's Tale is about a boy with dreams of becoming a Samurai, and how, though he realizes his dream, it's not all it's cracked up to be. The Boy and the Samurai is a sequel told from a different perspective: Saru, a beggar child, encounters the boy-turned-Samurai and attempts to help him with a very important task.

Both are highly recommended! Quick, easy, great reads.
Final Fantasy IX is the best one
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

THE COMPLETE PERSEPOLIS

Incredible read.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Blindsight by Peter Watts is my currently time sink. Man what an interesting novel it is. If you're a fan of hard science fiction you should definitely read it.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.