Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Re: Books!

by Pulsar_t Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Another hefty nonfiction book. I'm excited to tears, but learn more I must!
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:00 pm

Neil Gaiman's "Fortunately The Milk".

Also I read "Where the Wild Things Are" to my nieces.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:14 pm

Was given a copy of L. Ron Hubbard's, "Battlefield Earth." I am salivating to tear this book apart. I have read a few of his other books and let me tell you, they are some of the worst books ever written. I never thought a B movie could be contained in a book, but his stuff is living proof.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:19 am

Dilvish the Damned & The Changing Land - Roger Zelazny [No ebook version to my knowledge. Used paper stock only.]

Fantasy novels are my guilty pleasure (especially anything written in the 80's and back). Dilvish the Damned and The Changing Land is one quest for revenge against a wizard. Pretty typical stuff at this point but I like the characters and, while I wouldn't label this "dark fantasy", it does have bleak moments and the system of magic isn't bastardized like modern fantasy.

Meccania: The Super State - Owen Gregory
[Public Domain. ebook available at Gutenberg]

Want to know how a totalitarian government would work when practically everyone idolizes the state? Read this book! A lot of dystopian ground is broken with this novel and it actually surprised me how early it was published (1918). If you're a fan of Bradbury, Huxley, Orwell, etc be sure to give this a read. A warning: it is a bit dry and the chapters are really long with few stopping places so it isn't the best novel to choose for a light book to read before bed... a chapter is at least half an hour long. Hope you like staying up late!

The Shrieking Pit - Arthur J. Rees
[Public domain. ebook at gutenberg]

A murder mystery novel that is quite dated but quite fun nonetheless. Published in the early 1900's I believe so your CSI television show-level detective work isn't present here. I still enjoyed it despite a couple of plot issues. I'm currently reading another novel by the same author. I'll see if it's any better than The Shrieking Pit.
marurun

by marurun Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:33 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Was given a copy of L. Ron Hubbard's, "Battlefield Earth." I am salivating to tear this book apart. I have read a few of his other books and let me tell you, they are some of the worst books ever written. I never thought a B movie could be contained in a book, but his stuff is living proof.

Does your copy include the pompous introduction?

Cause that's great.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:40 pm

I've read a number of "thrillers" over the past few months, and regardless of subgenre (scifi, Dan Brownian mysteries etc) the formula plays out the same in all of them. I always thought with books you get leeway with the characters and story, but it's all so Hollywoodian.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:14 pm

marurun wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:Was given a copy of L. Ron Hubbard's, "Battlefield Earth." I am salivating to tear this book apart. I have read a few of his other books and let me tell you, they are some of the worst books ever written. I never thought a B movie could be contained in a book, but his stuff is living proof.

Does your copy include the pompous introduction?

Cause that's great.

Does that introduction include him defining Science Fiction and how he worked with Martin Luther King Jr. in the Civil Rights Movement and how he helped define modern Science fiction with his works and how he knew all these famous people and how they all revered him. He tells this story about him talking to a microbiologist and how at the end of their conversation the entire laboratory and head of the lab were mobbing him for his autograph and for handshakes to congratulate him on being the best science fiction writer ever.

If so, then yes....it does include the pompous introduction and it is hilarious!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:54 pm

Should finish book 2 in the Dresden files tonight, Fool Moon. A fun read.

Looking into Dune or The Howling next. Might save Howling for October.

How's Dune hold up today? THE SPICE!
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:31 pm

Earnest Cline's new book Armada will arrive at my house tomorrow. I'll make sure to come back on here and tell everyone what I think.
Ack

by Ack Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:30 am

Jagosaurus wrote:Should finish book 2 in the Dresden files tonight, Fool Moon. A fun read.

Looking into Dune or The Howling next. Might save Howling for October.

How's Dune hold up today? THE SPICE!

I read Dune for the first time in 2010, and I thought it was a masterpiece.

Read it immediately.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever