Books!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Books!

Post by REPO Man »

Also, do graphic novels count? If so I read Power Rangers: Aftershock ages ago and didn't really care for it.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I'm not going to call an audio book NOT a book, but at the same time, listening to an audio book is a different experience than reading a printed book or ebook. Our brains process heard and read language a little differently. I think both have enjoyable qualities. But when I listen to an audio book, not only do I care about content, but also the narrator's voice and pronunciation. Do they have an accent? Are they attempting voice changes for different characters? How are they attempting to carry a scene? Audio books have a performance element to them, and the narrator definitely can affect the reception of the information.

I do not consider one experience or the other a lesser experience, merely different.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

While the delivery methods are different and the “tools” used to absorb the material is also different, the end result would be the same. Of course this is my opinion and I don’t feel that there’s a right or wrong answer here.

Anyway, the beauty of it all is that choice is a wonderful thing right?

I don’t know much about the structure of a graphic novel REPO. You wanna count it as a book then go for it. Who am I to say otherwise.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I’ve been into Victorian- and Edwardian-era cosmic horror recently, and I have been reading some of the less well-known authors that influenced more modern writers like H.P. Lovecraft.

Right now, I’m reading William Hope Hosgson’s House on the Borderland. I am a little over halfway through it, and despite the fact it was published in 1908, it is the definition of “Lovecraftian” cosmic horror (blended with a siege narrative). It is full of otherworldly architecture, bottomless alien chasms, and events beyond human comprehension. Also, madness. Lots of madness. I’m enjoying it, and while I’m not sure it’s as good (or haunting) as The King in Yellow, it is at least as good as most of Lovecraft’s work. I should finish it soon, and then I will move on to some (previously unread) classic horror stories from Nathaniel Hawthorne and Edgar Allen Poe in anticipation of Halloween.

I am also starting some children’s “horror” books with my son and daughter. We’ll probably start Coraline tonight, and if we get through it quickly enough, we’ll likely start up The House with a Clock in Its Walls.
Ack

Post by Ack »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I’ve been into Victorian- and Edwardian-era cosmic horror recently, and I have been reading some of the less well-known authors that influenced more modern writers like H.P. Lovecraft.

Right now, I’m reading William Hope Hosgson’s House on the Borderland. I am a little over halfway through it, and despite the fact it was published in 1908, it is the definition of “Lovecraftian” cosmic horror (blended with a siege narrative). It is full of otherworldly architecture, bottomless alien chasms, and events beyond human comprehension. Also, madness. Lots of madness. I’m enjoying it, and while I’m not sure it’s as good (or haunting) as The King in Yellow, it is at least as good as most of Lovecraft’s work. I should finish it soon, and then I will move on to some (previously unread) classic horror stories from Nathaniel Hawthorne and Edgar Allen Poe in anticipation of Halloween.

I am also starting some children’s “horror” books with my son and daughter. We’ll probably start Coraline tonight, and if we get through it quickly enough, we’ll likely start up The House with a Clock in Its Walls.

If you enjoy The House on the Borderland, then I recommend looking into his book "The Boats of the Glen Carrig." While it isn't as fantastic as Borderland, it has some excellent ideas on the horrors one will find at sea.

Also, check out Algernon Blackwood. His writing varies in genre, and some of it is more humorous than horrific, but he was also a major influence on Lovecraft.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I will! I am planning on digging into his work, along with the work of Robert Machen and Clark Ashton Smith next.

As for The Boats if the Glen Carrig...I don’t know. I’ve never been able to get into nautical adventures for some reason. I may give it a shot though if The House on the Borderland remains strong until the end.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I’ve been really interesting in SiFi Space Military stuff lately. Space stuff in general as well.

A three part series under the title “Bobiverse” series by Dennis Taylor is about an engineer of sorts who signed up for a service that after death, his head would be frozen until technology’s was advanced enough to bring him back to life. Well he died and was brought back to life in a world that’s vastly different that the way he left it. It’s got Von Neumann Probes and lots of pop culture nerd references. I love the series quite a lot.

The next series that I basically just started is the Frontline Series by Marko Kloos. I finished the first book and moved onto the second. It’s about a “welfare rat” who wanted to get off Earth but the only way to do that is either through a lottery on a colony ship or through military service. It’s an entertaining series so far. I read reviews/previews stating its standard space military fare but I’m alright with this.
Chalpie

Post by Chalpie »

I've recently read an old classic - Dune.

When i was starting this book, i felt like the language was intentionally simplified for a younger audience. That might still be the case - however after reading it is clear as day that this was a brilliantly thought out and modeled world after a ton of existing myths and religions that have gone through earth.

The plot is reasonably simple, interactions transparent, but there is a ton of wisdom in every other sentence.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Fragments of Horror by Junji Ito. Recently I bought a trio of Junji Ito books from Amazon, the other two being Shiver and Dissolving Classroom.

Fragments of Horror is an anthology of beautifully bizarre and tastily twisted tales with art the likes of which would make Lovecraft lose his lunch, make Cronenberg cringe and make the horrors of Silent Hill look like Disneyland.

First story and I'm a total Junji Ito fan!!!!
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

And I finished my other Junji Ito collection, Shiver.