Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Books!

by fastbilly1 Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:11 am

I finished Flashman Papers number 6 per Flakes suggestion last week then went back to Alan Dean Fosters Pip and Flinx series.

Flashman 1 is a solid novel that is pretty much Flake in the late 1800s British army. 2 is The Prisoner of Zenda through a Flashman lens. 3-6 are all "put Flashman here" stories and it gets a bit formulaic. They are decent enough reads, but the first really stands out as a solid novel. Just know its a 60s British novel about the colonial times - there is alot of foul language and sex, and no they are not about a Megaman enemy.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:37 pm

Last night, I finished Christopher Pike's "The Midnight Club". In this YA Horror novel, a group of terminally ill teens regularly meet to tell stories, not entirely unlike The Midnight Society from Are You Afraid of the Dark. But based on the synopsis, I naturally expected a more supernatural tale, and what I got was a good ending that failed to live up to what I expected. According to the synopsis, I was expecting…

a character to die and come back to tell a tale with real-life stakes. Instead, a character dies in her sleep and it's revealed towards the end that one of the characters smothered her with a pillow. It felt more like just a series of events with no real conflict or climax.

This is the second Pike novel I've read, and currently the weakest.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:58 am

Got my copy of the Be More Chill graphic novel, which is based on the original Nick Vizzini novel that was adapted into the Broadway musical of the same name.

It tells the story of a nerdy high-schooler who uses a supercomputer called a SQUIP, a pilll-sized device taken orally with Mountain Dew, in efforts of improving his life and get the girl of his dreams. While the SQUIP works out at first, our hero soon realizes that the only voice in his head he should be listening to is his own.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:01 am

Regular Mountain Dew or Baja Blast?
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:54 pm

Regular, and to deactivate the SQUIP one would consume Code Red. It's never stated how other varieties of Mountain Dew affects the SQUIP.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:32 pm

If I were writing fan fiction, I would make it so that Baja Blast caused a “blast” of energy from the SQUIP allowing you to lift heavy objects.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:30 pm

I don't think that's how the SQUIP works. It's more like a computer in your brain. So it's less like the nanites from Jake 2.0 and more like Jiminy Cricket with less scruples and a lack of understanding of human emotions.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

by fuctfuct Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:59 pm

I mostly read non fiction. Lots of "real" and alternative history/archology type stuff. I've decided to try reading Game of Thrones. Before I try to read something so complex I decided to try something a bit lighter. So, I bought my favorite books as a child/teen. Dragonlance! haha.

I bought the Chronicles trilogy and read it in a few days. Reading the Legends trilogy now. I also bought the Lost Chronicles trilogy and the War of Souls trilogy.

Pro tip: Thrift books has great prices but their "Like new" is more like "Nothing like new at all" :P
Ack

by Ack Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:52 pm

I recently finished reading the final volume of the Hammer's Slammers stories by David Drake and The Forge of God by Greg Bear, and with my birthday coming up, I have asked for more sci-fi books.

But in the meantime, I decided to read a horror story, Borderland by S. K. Epperson. I have never read anything by Epperson before, but I am appreciating her prose, so I may try to track more down later.

I also have a biography on Dwight Eisenhower focusing on his presidency that I look forward to reading later this year. I like to mix up history, culture, and genre fiction, and after reading through Horror Noire last year about the representation of Black people in 20th century American horror cinema, I wanted to consume some fiction, hence all the sci-fi. I'll probably swing back to history and cultural works around the middle of the year.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:58 pm

Recently read the graphic novel "Swamp Thing: Twin Branches".
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever