Books!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Books!

Post by marurun »

Herbert was, among other things, an ecologist. He was also notable for incorporating lots of ideas from Arabic culture and Islam. If you are willing to give his work another chance, White Plague is a very entertaining book which also has political overtones, but better integrated and set in a largely modern setting.

I would not encourage reading more Dune. The first book is a masterpiece, but the rest of the series gets very bizarre. If you didn’t like Dune, you will probably not take to the later titles.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jake Armitage
16-bit

Post by Jake Armitage »

Mrs. Armitage and I have been watching the tv series "The Passage" - which isn't super great but has some interesting elements.

So I decided to pick up the book (also titled "The Passage") and the two sequels by Justin Cronin. The books are each about 900 pages and I am maybe a fifth into the second one. The books are far more impressive than the series (quite frankly I can't imagine the series getting too far in relation to the book without several seasons). The world they create is kind of a cross between the "Walking Dead" one and "The Stand" (or "Swan Song"by Robert McCammon - which I liked a lot better than "The Stand").
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"
Ack

Post by Ack »

I had a professor in college who's best friend was Robert McCammon. Apparently Robert would call him occasionally to go on some crazy adventure to graveyards or haunted houses. He sounded like a cool guy. I took an interest in his writing after hearing about him from Dr. Gresham.
Jake Armitage
16-bit

Post by Jake Armitage »

I wish they would make a mini series based on "Swan Song."
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"
MattiLipponen

Post by MattiLipponen »

My occupation is relating to writing content, so reading is the biggest part of my life ( and playing computer games of course :lol: ). For now I'm in Steven King's Under the Dome.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Batman: White Knight, a graphic novel where a reformed Joker, now going by Jack Napier, seeks to tackle police corruption and social injustice. With Harleen Quintzel at his side, he becomes the title's titular white knight and calls for Batman to be held accountable for his collateral damage. But when a figure from Napier's Joker years comes forth, things take a turn for the worse and Gotham will never be the same!

I thoroughly enjoyed Batman: White Knight.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Just started PiHKAL by Alexander Shulgin (writing a short research paper in my comp class about psychedelics) and it's super interesting. The fact that he was able to publish how to make all those drugs publicly kind of astounds me.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Finally got back into reading after like 3 years. However, they are non-fiction books of a political nature. I've personally seen a film forum get ruined over that, and I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened here in the past. Just thought it would be interesting to bump this thread to see if anyone else is reading.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Just thought it would be interesting to bump this thread to see if anyone else is reading.

Not really and how dare you remind me that I'm not. :lol:

But seriously I need to read more. :cry:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I read all the time, both for work and for pleasure. I’m between books right now, but I have a pile on my nightstand:

The Invisible Man by HG Wells
The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
The Valley of Fear by Arthur Conan Doyle
La Belle Sauvage by Phillip Pullman
The High Window by Raymond Chandler
Authority by Jeff Vandermeer

My work reading tends to be pretty dry; so, my pleasure reading tends to be pretty light. I’m about two chapters into The Wizard of Oz; so, I’ll probably do that one next. I think it’ll be a quick, breezy read.