Books!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Books!

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:I read Dune for the first time in 2010, and I thought it was a masterpiece.

Read it immediately.

I am bringing a copy with me on my vacation next week. I am looking forward to it.

I also just finished up Agatha Christies' And Then There Were None. It was a lot of fun, and I expect I will play through this game before too much longer:

It has an interesting premise, and it received solid mixed reviews.
catnip
128-bit

Post by catnip »

I'm reading through the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" series for the first time since I was, like, 10. I'm loving them. Snicket's got a really interesting voice.
Final Fantasy IX is the best one
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Read The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski last week. While not his strongest work, nor considered a very good Witcher book, it is an excellent set of stories about Geralt, with plenty of adventures with Dandelion. The phrase about killing the rat in the dark is now a common piece in my wife and I's daily dialogues.

Currently it is Pellucidar by Edgar Rice Burroughs. The second of the series, it picks up shortly after the first one left off. Starting with a brilliant self deflating introduction by ERB, we are thrust back into the inside of the earth, with a self explaining journey about the war against Hooja the sly one, the Mahar, and the various creatures of the oddly evolved world. If you like ERB's works, this is a great story, but if you cant stand 100 year old writing styles this is not for you. I am on track to finish it tomorrow and move back to Sapkowski's works.

I am also close to finishing Decoded by Jay-z. As a fan of hiphop, and his works, I am always interested to see the words from the perspective of the author. However I cannot recommend it to anyone who is not already a fan of Jay-z's works. This is not a a 33 1/3 book, nor is it really an autobiography, it is a compelling jumble of ideas and short stories that tie together to the lyrics that he has recorded. It is Jay-z opening his mind in an intimate and personal way. Sure it is about him and he wrote it, but it is more about the rhymes and how he came to them, than specifically about him.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

fastbilly1 wrote:Read The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski last week. While not his strongest work, nor considered a very good Witcher book, it is an excellent set of stories about Geralt, with plenty of adventures with Dandelion. The phrase about killing the rat in the dark is now a common piece in my wife and I's daily dialogues.

I read this recently too and really enjoyed it, I know it's not considered to be very good, but all I could think was that I must have a lot to look forward to, if the remaining books in the series are better.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Stark wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:Read The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski last week. While not his strongest work, nor considered a very good Witcher book, it is an excellent set of stories about Geralt, with plenty of adventures with Dandelion. The phrase about killing the rat in the dark is now a common piece in my wife and I's daily dialogues.

I read this recently too and really enjoyed it, I know it's not considered to be very good, but all I could think was that I must have a lot to look forward to, if the remaining books in the series are better.

The only other book I have read in the series is a large chunk of Blood of Elves, so I guess I cannot say to much about the series. But a good friend of mine, who has very similar tastes in books, recently finished all of that has been officially translated and said that he felt Last Wish is the weakest and that Baptism of Fire is one of the best stories he has ever read.
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

Ack wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:Should finish book 2 in the Dresden files tonight, Fool Moon. A fun read.

Looking into Dune or The Howling next. Might save Howling for October.

How's Dune hold up today? THE SPICE!

I read Dune for the first time in 2010, and I thought it was a masterpiece.

Read it immediately.

They turned Dune into a book?
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Probably my first (translated naturally) Chinese book that I read, it's interestingly peculiar if I may use that expression, and also entertaining. Love scifi that combines hard science and speculative fiction.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Currently it is Pellucidar by Edgar Rice Burroughs. The second of the series, it picks up shortly after the first one left off. Starting with a brilliant self deflating introduction by ERB, we are thrust back into the inside of the earth, with a self explaining journey about the war against Hooja the sly one, the Mahar, and the various creatures of the oddly evolved world. If you like ERB's works, this is a great story, but if you cant stand 100 year old writing styles this is not for you. I am on track to finish it tomorrow and move back to Sapkowski's works.

I am also close to finishing Decoded by Jay-z. As a fan of hiphop, and his works, I am always interested to see the words from the perspective of the author. However I cannot recommend it to anyone who is not already a fan of Jay-z's works. This is not a a 33 1/3 book, nor is it really an autobiography, it is a compelling jumble of ideas and short stories that tie together to the lyrics that he has recorded. It is Jay-z opening his mind in an intimate and personal way. Sure it is about him and he wrote it, but it is more about the rhymes and how he came to them, than specifically about him.

I loved Decoded. And I love you, man.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Comes recommended to fans of The Matrix Image
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Ack wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:Should finish book 2 in the Dresden files tonight, Fool Moon. A fun read.

Looking into Dune or The Howling next. Might save Howling for October.

How's Dune hold up today? THE SPICE!

I read Dune for the first time in 2010, and I thought it was a masterpiece.

Read it immediately.

Dune is awesome.

Reading it makes me feel like a pre-2000s LotR fan though. No good movies based off an extremely rich fantasy world. Some talented director really needs to try taking Dune on again.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.