Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Books!

by REPO Man Mon May 16, 2016 10:47 am

Better known as the source material for Hellraiser, this Clive Barker novella was the first Barker novel I've ever read. It's as much different as it is similar to Hellraiser. I could totally see creepypasta narrator Creeps McPasta narrating this.

It also spawned an anthology called Hellbound Hearts, which features short stories written by such authors as Neil Gaiman, Steven Niles and even Barbie Wilde (who played the Female Cenobite in Hellraiser 2).
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon May 16, 2016 11:40 am

Since I finished all of the published Witcher works not too long ago, I have been going strong into the Wheel of Time. I know I am twenty years late in starting it, but one can only take so many HOPE Lectures in a row... I listen to Books on tape during my drive to and from work, so it was finally time to start WOT since the library finally got them back.

Eye of the World, book one, was done in short order, and now I am very near the end of The Great Hunt. While the first is very LOTR like, Book 2 goes off in a neat tangent with an invading army and more weird magic.

When I do my actual reading, I am going through three books:
1. Spelunky by Derek Yu - an excellent read of how one of the greatest games of all time was created.
2. The Linux Command Line by William E. Shotts - refreshers are never a bad thing.
3. Redhat RHCSA Cert guide by Sander van Vugt - Gotta get those certs baby.

Spelunky and Linux Command Line I highly recommend. Both cover heavy data in a very easy to read way. The Cert guide is a bit dense, but it is Redhat.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon May 16, 2016 12:03 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:Since I finished all of the published Witcher works not too long ago, I have been going strong into the Wheel of Time. I know I am twenty years late in starting it, but one can only take so many HOPE Lectures in a row... I listen to Books on tape during my drive to and from work, so it was finally time to start WOT since the library finally got them back.

Eye of the World, book one, was done in short order, and now I am very near the end of The Great Hunt. While the first is very LOTR like, Book 2 goes off in a neat tangent with an invading army and more weird magic.

When Robert Jordan died, Brandon Sanderson took over to finish the series. I've not read that far into Wheel of Time yet, but I wanted to point this out so I could say that Brandon Sanderson's series The Stormlight Archives is amazing. There are only two books so far, but it is one of the best series I've read, check it out!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon May 16, 2016 12:17 pm

I will move into Sandersons work after I am done with the first six WOT. Only six for two reasons:
1. Most of my devout WOT friends say that the quality waivers significantly after book six. But worth it if you are hooked.
2. More importantly, the books on tape at my library stop at book six.

I tried to read Mistborn due to another friends recommendation - they named their first son after a character, but could not get into it. How is Stormlight Archives compared to Mistborn?
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon May 16, 2016 12:49 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:I tried to read Mistborn due to another friends recommendation - they named their first son after a character, but could not get into it. How is Stormlight Archives compared to Mistborn?

They are the first I've read of Sanderson, so I couldn't say. I was actually contemplating getting Mistborn since I liked the Stormlight ones so much.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Mon May 16, 2016 4:15 pm

This book is responsible for the recent resurgence of interest in the Dyatlov pass incident. I guess the scientific explanation would explain a lot of the bizarre circumstances surrounding the deaths, and the author does a fair bit of research to portray the victims as normal human beings and not just obscure characters in a sad tragedy.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Overload
128-bit

by Overload Fri May 20, 2016 6:42 pm

REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sat May 21, 2016 11:39 pm

Started and finished Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone today. Started around 2pm (some time after I woke up) and finished about a half-hour ago (it's currently around 11:40pm). Gonna start Chamber of Secrets either tomorrow or maybe somewhere in the next few days. I got a bunch of other books from the library and wanna make sure the time between CoS and Prisoner of Azkaban is as short as possible.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun May 22, 2016 11:49 am

Recently read 3 Clive Cussler novels:

- Atlantis Found
- Devil's Gate
- Serpent

He is obviously very interested in early civilizations, alternative takes on history, pre-Columbus exploration on north America, ancient culture, the Phoenicians, etc.

Take all these interest, throw them on or under water... add some smooth James Bond like characters (Dirk Pitt, Kurt Austin) and you have fun thrillers.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

by marurun Sun May 22, 2016 1:19 pm

Set up a graphic novel reading group on Good Reads for some friends. We're reading Watchmen as our inaugural title. Half of us have already read it, but it's worth revisiting for the half that haven't.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever