Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Books!

by fastbilly1 Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:11 am

Around the World in 80 Days - Jules Verne

While I have read most of Vernes works I some how never finished Around the World. I always get bogged down while he is in India. Last night I got a third of hte way through the book, to tell tell India, but I will not relent this time. He will make the trip, in less than 80 days, possibly ending the story on the 21st of December like in the book.
marurun

by marurun Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:38 pm

Finally got some more Oh My Goddess! and am now resuming my extended trek through this quaint little corner of the mangaverse with volume 34. Gotta admit there hasn't been anything truly new for about 30 volumes or so, but I love Fujishima's attention to detail in his art. And despite the face that the lead female could be argued to be a strong example of the traditional female role and thus a tool of conservatism, the other women in the comic often defy those traditional roles and demonstrate great variability of skill and character. One woman runs her own motorcycle repair shop. And she's not portrayed as a sex object, but rather a consummate and organized professional. And that "traditional" lead? She has her own strength of character. No, the stereotypes are not strong in this one. The characters vary wildly once the series gets going and they demonstrate considerable depth.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:31 am

Finished Ted Dekker's The Priest's Graveyard.

Very solid thriller with about a vigilante seeking justice.

IMO, Dekker's thrillers are much stronger than his venture into fantasy. If you're not familiar Dekker, he is a Christian writer but his books are about more good versus evil (than openly faith based) with dark tones, often involving serial killers, other creepy elements, intense action, & plot twist. Very interesting style.

Other thrillers of his I've enjoyed:
Boneman's Daughters
Thr3e
Kiss
The Bride Collector
Adam
House

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
econoemu
16-bit

by econoemu Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:12 am

Currently on my annual read of the Wheel of Time series, just started book 3 'The Dragon Reborn'. Normally takes about 3 months or so to get through the series. Probably longer this time around thanks to work and wanting to get my game room set up.
Adventure!
marurun

by marurun Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Still trying rather hard to plug through Beer and Circus and The Design of Everyday Things. I love the !material but find the books slow going, for some reason.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:27 pm

Last book of 2015, the second in the Three Body Problem trilogy. It's paradoxically refreshing to read Chinese fiction that hasn't quite made the perfect transition to english during the process of translation. A scifi perspective from a different culture if I could frame it like that.. but it's a long fucker :x
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:34 am

Things I learned reading this novel: FDR was a prick, the Kims of N. Korea are assholes (duh), and that the 16th amendment is dubious at best. :lol:
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:34 am

Probably my first Colin Wilson book, is an enjoyable read, but it's obviously heavily influenced by the new age movement of the 1960s. Its philosophical foundation is still solid, and even after all these decades it can provide some food for thought.
MrEco
Next-Gen

by MrEco Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:46 am

I recently finished reading the second Witcher book, Sword of Destiny (Not to be confused with the crappy Sword of Truth series, please and thank you).

It was really good. There's a ridiculous amount of references to this book that went over my head in The Witcher 3 just from what I've played so far. Still not sure how I feel about Yennefer though, don't really understand what Geralt see's in her.

Also I recently picked up Paradise Lost for about $5 on Amazon. Looks interesting. I hear it kind of rips off some of the themes from the Silmarillion, but I don't think it's too big a deal. The protagonist seems like a swell guy too from what I hear, I think I'll like him.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:55 am

MrEco wrote:Also I recently picked up Paradise Lost for about $5 on Amazon. Looks interesting. I hear it kind of rips off some of the themes from the Silmarillion, but I don't think it's too big a deal. The protagonist seems like a swell guy too from what I hear, I think I'll like him.

And he gives great dietary tips!
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever