Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Middle eastern/southern Asia coin ID

by Hobie-wan Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:11 pm

Pulsar_t wrote:Presuming the number on the coin is the year of issuance, it was between 21st March 2010 – 20th March 2011. Nothing exotic or valuable I'm afraid :lol:

Sweet, that explains why the bottom is a bit different. I actually got distracted from searching anymore last night. I wasn't expecting it to be worth anything. It is too clean and new and I figured it was probably just the equivalent of a a penny or a nickel. It still adds to my foreign coin collection which is mostly pedestrian. :mrgreen:

Left side is Japan and England. Column of 3 singles is coin from Nazi Germany that my English Grandfather picked up in the war, Dutch, and Barbados. Right side is Mexico, Belgium, and our Iranian friend.
brandman
32-bit

by brandman Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:21 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:Column of 3 singles is coin from Nazi Germany that my English Grandfather picked up in the war,

That's pretty cool actually. Not in the fact that its from Nazi Germany in a sense that that was a cool country but in the same way that Confederate State money is cool because they lost their respective wars and as a result the currency is no longer made with no successors. Erm... Cool story? :shock:
Image Image Image VVV
3DS Friend Code: 4382 - 2058 - 7982
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:51 pm

I think I have that coin.......

Wait wait I traded it at a coin convention where I got a French coin from 1902
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:08 pm

brandman wrote:
Hobie-wan wrote:Column of 3 singles is coin from Nazi Germany that my English Grandfather picked up in the war,

That's pretty cool actually. Not in the fact that its from Nazi Germany in a sense that that was a cool country but in the same way that Confederate State money is cool because they lost their respective wars and as a result the currency is no longer made with no successors. Erm... Cool story? :shock:

Don't try to cover your Hitlerist ass, your nazi colors are glaringly obvious!
brandman
32-bit

by brandman Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:53 pm

jfrost wrote:Don't try to cover your Hitlerist ass, your nazi colors are glaringly obvious!

Shit! Pack you bags Mengele, we gotta leave Argentina!
Image Image Image VVV
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:12 am

brandman wrote:
jfrost wrote:Don't try to cover your Hitlerist ass, your nazi colors are glaringly obvious!

Was this really common? I mean I have heard the rumor that all former Nazis left for South America to escape prosecution, but I was wondering how true it is.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:50 am

ZeroAX wrote:
brandman wrote:

Was this really common? I mean I have heard the rumor that all former Nazis left for South America to escape prosecution, but I was wondering how true it is.

At the time Argentina was ruled by Juan Perón, who was openly sympathetic to Nazism. He made it a policy for the Argentine government to shelter former Nazi officers and sympathizers.

Notoriously, Mengele himself went to Argentina and made the rounds in South America. He ended up in Brazil and died here.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:35 pm

jfrost wrote:At the time Argentina was ruled by Juan Perón, who was openly sympathetic to Nazism. He made it a policy for the Argentine government to shelter former Nazi officers and sympathizers.

Notoriously, Mengele himself went to Argentina and made the rounds in South America. He ended up in Brazil and died here.

Then I think I knew some girls (horrible people really, but of course this doesn't have anything to do with what I am about to say) who's grandfather might have been one (German who went to South America after the war).

.....I wonder if it ever crossed their minds (not the brightest people either), and how I'd feel if I knew someone I was so directly related to had committed crimes against humanity (I'm sure some of my ancestors did, but surely not up to my great grandparents).
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
brandman
32-bit

by brandman Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:45 pm

ZeroAX wrote:Then I think I knew some girls (horrible people really, but of course this doesn't have anything to do with what I am about to say) who's grandfather might have been one (German who went to South America after the war).

.....I wonder if it ever crossed their minds (not the brightest people either), and how I'd feel if I knew someone I was so directly related to had committed crimes against humanity (I'm sure some of my ancestors did, but surely not up to my great grandparents).

That's pretty strange to meet people who's ancestors have done horrible things, even if they don't agree with it. I doubt they actually knew and would think about it, but hey, it's their Grandparents, not them, what does it matter to them? Sure it's horrible but there's nothing they can do about it, might as well live life the right way.

And yeah it was pretty common for former Nazi's to refuge in South America as a lot of those countries and it's people were open to fascist and communistic ideals (more so communism, but like jfrost said, some dictators liked facism), as it had yet truly been proven a horrible form of government. Not only that South America wasn't and truly still isn't as big of a player in the worlds information network, easier to lay low there rather than America or Britain. Of course later on the state of Israel was formed and they chased down all these ex-Nazi's and people like Mengele were tried in Israel courts and killed for humanitarian crimes for obvious reasons.
Image Image Image VVV
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Middle eastern/southern Asia coin ID - Solved - Iranian

by Hobie-wan Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:05 pm

I'm not sure if I should be amused or horrified that I Godwinned my own thread about coins. :P
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever