Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
MrPopo

Re: What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

by MrPopo Sun May 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Samurai Champloo's pretty fun. A lot of well placed intentional anachronisms and some fun characters.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun May 01, 2011 8:12 pm

MrPopo wrote:Samurai Champloo's pretty fun. A lot of well placed intentional anachronisms and some fun characters.

Indeed, I didn't like it nearly as much as Bebop... but if I'm correct I think it's the last show this director has done, which has been awhile. We need more from him!
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sun May 01, 2011 8:47 pm

Xeogred wrote:To be honest I think I always liked Trigun more than Bebop, had more of a bigger over arching story (least the second half) and I guess I liked the comical blend with Vash and all. Too bad like a lot of short shows it just ends... and doesn't cover the whole story from the manga's. Anyways, yeah I guess I just like to compare these two since they were the big ones for me back then. Trigun/Bebop were the first "Hey there's more to anime than DBZ" shows for me. :lol:

From there, I had some friends that bought DVD's back in Jr. High and saw a lot of stuff that way. Rahxephon, Twelve Kingdoms, Iria, Armitage, Record of Lodoss, good times.

Big O I never caught much of actually, been meaning to check it out sometime.

I liked Bebop better than Trigun personally because of how un-anime Bebop was. It had a more serious tone, more realistic action and a nice "western" sensibility to it. Plus, bebop just has a certain "cool" factor that few other anime I've seen have

I have always wanted to watch Big O. It has an art style very similar to Batman: The Animated Series
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sun May 01, 2011 11:47 pm

Xeogred wrote:The craziest girl in a series like this that I've seen though is hands down Yagami from Maison. Absolute madness right there, but when you see the story through to the end, you just can't help but appreciate her role and everything as well, she was that necessary stepping stone, at least for me. So in the end I even like her, not to mention all the obvious parallels her situation has to a certain someone else... haha. So awesome.

Ha, yeah Yagami was pretty frustrating, but I still liked her for the humor she brought.

As for crazy, there's a nutty chick or two in Ichigo 100%. You might look in to that if you like harem stuff at all. Its fanservicey, which does nothing for me, but I enjoyed the characters enough to look past that stuff. Its goofy as hell sometimes, and I like that.

If I may, I'd recommend you check out I's, about a guy who's girl becomes an idol. Its a kinda dramatic, but not in a bad way. The OVA version is quite short compared to the manga, so from what I understand there are quite a few character changes. I haven't seen it to compare myself though.

You'll see a lot of influences from both Maison and KOR in those series. (Also, I didn't mention this before but I really, really love the artwork in KOR.)

Xeogred wrote:Well you're blasting through my recommendations, I have nothing left after that. Haha. Have you read any of City Hunter? Cross Game is really popular too from the Touch creator, but it's baseball again, so hitting that up right after Touch might be too samey, I dunno.

Ha ha, sorry man! But hey, to me that just says you have good taste.

I read a couple of chapters of City Hunter back when Raijin Comics was still being published, but that's it. I'm not even sure what its about, but I'd be willing to check in to it.

Since its being discussed, I'll say that Cowboy Bebop and Big O are both great.

I love the noir feel of Big O.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon May 02, 2011 12:30 am

Harem is definitely not my thing at all, I think like we were saying earlier Tenchi worked for me since it had so much more going for it... that said I remember seeing some of Ichigo 100% years and years ago and I think I liked what I saw. It's stuff like Love Hina that I really can't stand.

Not a fan of ecchi stuff at all usually, but fanservice is fine with me (like in Bubblegum Crisis, Dirty Pair, Birdy the Mighty, Gall Force, Iria, Armitage... etc, haha. All that 80's stuff with sci-fi girls kicking ass).

Yeah I'm a big fan of the art I've seen of KOR too, that makes me want to read the manga myself to see the real character designs and all. From what I remember the anime of Maison had a character design change at like episode ~20 or something, and it's the same person/staff that worked on the KOR anime, so anime wise they both looked really similar which I loved.

PS: Madoka is mine! :roll: :lol:

City Hunter is really simplistic, episodic, etc, but just so amazing. Ryo Saeba is an underground city "sweeper" who takes up jobs for people in need, and being the action oriented series that it is it can be stuff like being a bodyguard for a princess or crazy stuff like that. Most of the jobs he takes up are for women. He's the Bond type but actually insanely perverted as well, so that's a lot of the humor... but he always manages to turn to his serious side at the right time and so, every little story is kind of like a nice lesson learned sort of thing. I dunno, but the anime is like the best episodic series I've ever seen, every episode just made me feel great and the series really captures that 80's magic like Touch, Maison, and KOR. Here's my favorite openings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zm88MCYyCg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXxqCRtHMP0

And for the record Ryo is probably my #1 favorite character in all of anime/manga. If you're familar with the Maison anime he's voiced by the same guy who played Mitaka, or better yet, also the same guy who plays Kenshiro! Good ol' Akira Kamiya. And speaking of art, the creator Hojo Tsukasa definitely comes up with some of the best females ever... that translated really well into the anime I'd say. Just watching those OP's you can probably see what I mean, the characters actually look a bit realistic, proportionally correct, etc, and it's just awesome.
the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Mon May 02, 2011 12:35 am

MrPopo wrote:Samurai Champloo's pretty fun. A lot of well placed intentional anachronisms and some fun characters.

I love Champloo as well, but I think the best part of it is the music. I could listen to Nujabes for days. His death, along with Satoshi Kon's, was the saddest I've ever felt by the death of someone I never personally met.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Mon May 02, 2011 1:07 am

@Xeogred

Well, I've never actually seen Love Hina outside of some clips, so I can't really compare it. I will say that nothing I've watched or read approaches what seems to be the level of physical abuse in Love Hina. Maybe I'm misreading it, but that's the impression I've picked up from it.

As for Madoka, well:

http://anymanga.com/kimagure-orange-road/007/
http://anymanga.com/kimagure-orange-road/014/007/016/ (this one's not really safe for work)

I can see why you'd want her. :lol:

I'll check out City Hunter. Those intros looked good, and I'm always up for more action and comedy. Funny you mentioned that Ryo's perverted. I remember that particular detail. He seems to pitch a lot of tents, heh.

I should get to it fairly soon, as I'm on volume 16 of 18 in KOR, and I don't think there's anything else in the pipeline right now.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon May 02, 2011 1:21 am

Haha! That second picture is hilarious since I screencapped bits of that scene in the anime... maybe this link will work to the album:
http://img38.imageshack.us/g/vlcsnap201 ... 42m51.png/

Has Arnold popped up?

Haha, some other fun screencaps I took:
http://img683.imageshack.us/g/vlcsnap20 ... 06m42.png/

Now speaking of that second one... I think I've heard the cat isn't in the manga?

Ryo also coins the phrase "mokkori", if you remember that one. It means... all things sexual, I'll just leave it at that I guess. haha.

Ryo's wisdom:

Okay yeah I got too screencap happy while watching this one, I'll stop lol
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Mon May 02, 2011 1:31 am

That's the Kasuge family cat right? Yeah, he's not in the manga.

Arnold hasn't shown up either I'm afraid, :lol: .

Indiana Jones shows up though, when Kyosuke and Hikaru go see one of the movies.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon May 02, 2011 1:50 am

Haha.

Kind of weird the cat's not in the manga. Kyosuke accidentally ends up switching bodies with him in one of the episodes. :lol:
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever