Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Re: What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

by AmishSamurai Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:21 am

Xeogred wrote:Hah!!! Glad you're liking it. I actually haven't read it myself but let's just say, the anime was that addicting as well. I remember blasting through 10+ episodes on some days back to back quite a bit, easily finished it in like 2-3 weeks (101 episodes!). What's going on where you're at now?

Tatsuya is probably one of the most inspirational characters I've ever seen in a series, just blew me away. In some ways (anime wise at least here) I felt that Touch was a bit more mature than Maison. I liked how when drama came up in Touch, they typically delt with it THAT episode, so nothing ever piled up as much as Maison. That said Maison was a bit more emotional for me in the end, but yeah. Touch was very mature and its subtle approach to character development was very realistic and amazing to me.

Hard to find some good tracks on youtube since it's a bit more obscure than Maison and the likes (plus spoilers everywhere I'm sure), but yeah... man was the OST killer stuff and fit so well it was crazy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBu9LDKZIF4

The same author Adachi did the newer baseball series Cross Game too, which I've heard is pretty good as well. Gonna hit that one up sometime myself.

I'll have to get onto that soon then. I'm reading over the Trigun Manga now. I used to own the first few volumes, but Dark Horse's translation was pretty bad, and between the batshit action sequences, the sloppy word bubbles, and the evident need to keep sound effects in Japanese while putting the english equivalent in place, they were next to unreadable at times. The fan-translation I'm reading still has several of the issues, but isn't as bad.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
benderx
Next-Gen

by benderx Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:30 am

WTF Marvel Anime: Wolverine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DsQT2tYSdk

They just ruined Wolverine appearance. The batman anime movie was good, but xmen looks trashy now in this video. I never heard anything about this on G4 tv. G4 tv sucks also
Last edited by benderx on Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:59 pm

Xeogred wrote:Hah!!! Glad you're liking it. I actually haven't read it myself but let's just say, the anime was that addicting as well. I remember blasting through 10+ episodes on some days back to back quite a bit, easily finished it in like 2-3 weeks (101 episodes!). What's going on where you're at now?

Tatsuya is probably one of the most inspirational characters I've ever seen in a series, just blew me away. In some ways (anime wise at least here) I felt that Touch was a bit more mature than Maison. I liked how when drama came up in Touch, they typically delt with it THAT episode, so nothing ever piled up as much as Maison. That said Maison was a bit more emotional for me in the end, but yeah. Touch was very mature and its subtle approach to character development was very realistic and amazing to me.

Hard to find some good tracks on youtube since it's a bit more obscure than Maison and the likes (plus spoilers everywhere I'm sure), but yeah... man was the OST killer stuff and fit so well it was crazy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBu9LDKZIF4

The same author Adachi did the newer baseball series Cross Game too, which I've heard is pretty good as well. Gonna hit that one up sometime myself.

Well, as of today I finished it. :lol:

Tatsuya is indeed pretty special. Its awesome to see the way he evolves throughout the series. I love how he and Koutarou develop a friendship all their own, independent of Kazuya.

The interesting thing about Tatsuya is that he's anything but a simple guy. Even at the end of the series, I'm still not completely certain if he has any resentment for his brother. And even if he did, he set everything aside and held himself to a standard he never had before to respect Kazuya.

The whole thing really was epic, and every character had something special about them. I loved it when Noshimura went to speak to Tatsuya after his team lost their final chance to go to Koshien. When he realized he was losing his pitching arm, and cried on the mound when they lost... Just a really great character moment.

The only character I hated was Yoshida. That annoying little prick pissed me off from the first moment I saw him, so it was nice to see his conceit rewarded with humilation. :lol: Maybe that's cruel of me, but hey.

The ending was a bit abrupt (though I feel that way about a lot of manga I read), but I understand why it was done that way. Overall though, fantastic series. I absolutely loved it.

I don't think I can compare it to Maison as a fan except that they're both pretty serious stories. Touch is now up there among my favorites.

Also, I got a real kick out of the Lum/Takahashi cameo. I don't know if they did that in the anime, but it was cool to see in the manga.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:29 am

Another anime I've really been enjoying is Gosick. It's basically Sherlock Holmes, only Sherlock is played by a brooding young girl. She even busts out the pipe when she's thinking (though it isn't lit).
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:30 am

@CFFJR: Definitely don't remember Lum/Takahashi in the anime, haha.

Hilarious you just finished that in like two days, goes to show how awesome it is. 8)

I agree with everything you said there. Don't want to spoil much for others, but yeah. Yoshida... screw that guy though, haha yeah he was freaking terrible, absolutely hated him. Pretty sure this was the awesome still shot they used when Tatsuya destroyed him. :o

I loved how it was one of those series where at first you're kind of iffy about a lot of the characters, but everyone turns around (like Koutarou especially) and it's just awesome in the end. I think Kashiwaba was an incredibly powerful and realistic character as well, surprised you didn't mention him! The littlest things like that can scar a person for years and years, but you could still see his change of heart as he battled Tatsuya and whatnot in a way, it was such an amazing and respectable conflict there. When Tatsuya went to see him there towards the end to give him "that", I was just speechless.

That Noshimura moment was very awesome indeed. Akio Nitta I honestly liked a lot too. An awesome rivalry you can't help but relate too as well, heh, he felt a lot like Mitaka to me, although not quite as awesome.

Tatsuya's development was pretty damn moving for me. Like I mentioned before, just a really down to Earth yet insanely inspirational character for sure. I loved the ending, it felt perfect to me but was definitely like, another story begins.

That said there's apparently some movie sequels, that I'm not sure if they're based off any manga follow ups or not... but I have not heard good things about them at all. The ending to the series felt just right to me... I'm one that usually has to see everything so I'll probably watch them someday, but yeah not really motivated to do it anytime soon.

Guess it was totally worth bringing that one up, heh. Slice of life / drama done right! Just like Maison.

On another note have you watched/read Kimagure Orange Road? lol, that one is a bit more hit or miss and anime wise, it was really episodic and not as intense or serious as Maison/Touch at all, but I still really enjoyed it. The only problem with KOR is that Kasuga is a pretty flat character compared to Godai and Tatsuya... but Madoka was totally amazing. This was my favorite opening in KOR, definitely caught that epic late 80's vibe! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj-23d82gU0
Betamax001
Next-Gen

by Betamax001 Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:53 am

MrPopo wrote:Another anime I've really been enjoying is Gosick. It's basically Sherlock Holmes, only Sherlock is played by a brooding young girl. She even busts out the pipe when she's thinking (though it isn't lit).

I remember watching this tape of an anime called Sherlock Hound when i was little. It's basically Sherlock Holmes, only everybody is a dog. It's all on youtube. It was a TV show that Hayao Miyazaki worked on so that's neat.

Anyway I have been watching alot of Black Butler lately and have been digging it. The look and atmosphere of the show is pretty cool and it has a pretty neat characters. There are also some rather wacky comedy scenes too which was surprising to me in a totally awesome way. But there is some pretty neat action scenes too so it seems to mesh kinda cool.
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:04 am

The Lum thing was pretty early on. Basically, when the baseball team captain decides he wants Tatsuya on the team, he starts trying to convince the boxing captain to allow the trade right? They go back and forth for a bit, but he eventually bribes the boxing captain with a sketch of Lum, autographed by Takahashi. When Tatsuya finds out about this, the captain tells him its worth losing him to the baseball team because he's a huge Takahashi fan. It was a cool cameo and just a really funny bit in general.

I did really love Kashiwaba too, especially the gift he gets you mentioned. I figured from the start that he would turn around the way he did, but it was great that there wasn't some cliche 180 at the last possible moment. You could see the team starting to affect him you know? Then when he starts giving direction... Just awesome. He broke down and changed, just enough, just enough.

There are no manga continuations as far as I've found, so those movies must be unique. I don't think I'll watch them to be honest, if only because I don't really feel like there's anything left to say. The ending was good, it worked. I want to keep it that way. :D

I'm definitely glad you brought it up.

As for Kimagure, I've always intended to read it and never got around to it. Its one of the classics, so its probably time I did huh?
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:16 am

Considering KOR isn't as long as Maison/Touch, maybe you'd get through it in one day... haha.

In KOR, the only catch with Kasuga and his family is that they're aliens and have special powers. So, maybe it's a bit more comparable to Yatsura with wacky humor and idea's sometimes, I dunno? And I guess this might have been somewhat of a spoiler, but you learn this right off the bat in like the first episode, maybe the first chapter... haha. So that's the thing KOR does a little differently than Maison/Touch.

If you get to it I'd be curious to know what you think of Hikaru, haha. Most hate her, but I didn't think she was that bad.

Yeah, as you said the ending to Touch was ... just right. So, I don't know about those movies. Funny enough KOR had a special follow up anime movie only to the series as well due to popularity from what I've heard. The first canon movie (and what I think might be a conclusion to the manga or the end, I'm not sure) was very intense... but the second one (anime only) was pretty different but I liked it for what it was.

I think there was a Touch cameo in the KOR anime at one point, I think the characters go to the movies at one point and Touch is on the big screen. :lol:
MrEco
Next-Gen

by MrEco Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:43 pm

So, it's question time. Specifically about Eureka Seven.

I've heard a lot of people say a lot of good things about this anime. Some people have even called it the greatest anime of all time. I watched the first 2 episodes today and I must say it was very entertaining but it didn't seem all that exceptional. I'm not sure if I found the characters interesting or not and although I'm not a psychic or anything it seems like the character Holland is gonna end up (Predictably) having some kind of extremely close bond with Renton's father and/or Renton himself. And speaking of Renton he seems to be a bit on the "annoying little kid" side of personalities. Last but not least the romance plot between Renton and the blue haired chick isn't progressed enough in the first 2 episodes for me to tell if it's an organic and enjoyable romance or a forced and boring chore of a plot device.

Ultimately, for reasons I'm not gonna bore you with, I was considering buying the DVD set for this anime based off of it's universal appraise and the fact that I genuinely enjoyed the first 2 episodes. However upon checking I found that it would be roughly $73 for the DVD's and I'm not sure if anything less than completely stellar is worth $73.

So the question is, are my initial impressions incorrect and the anime does in fact get better? And if yes, do you guys think it's worth the somewhat high price tag?
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun May 01, 2011 12:11 am

Wow, $73 sounds outrageous. Where were you looking?

Anyways, it's a great series all around I'd say. My only complaint is that like a third of a way in, the romance/angst drags out a little at that point and kind of bored me. I can't remember the ending much either, other than it was your usual "weird ending 101" kind of thing. There's also an alternative movie of the series with different characters or something I believe, haven't seen it myself yet though.

To me the series felt a lot like Gundam X, and GX beats out E7 for me for sure. Hardly any angst and romance blunders, and it's just all badass.

Also I was going to bring this up here in this thread, though not sure if anyone is familiar with Space Adventure Cobra (PS: it's amazing, think of the Japanese equivalent of Heavy Metal the film + a guy with a Mega Man Buster who's more badass than James Bond, that sums it up)... and anyways it's getting a live action adaptation. I'm rarely excited about these sort of things, but if this poster is what he'll look like then color me interested:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=77026

Pretty damn spot on I'd say.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever