What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

Post by Michi »

the7k wrote:Ah, Inuyasha. Much like most anime series, it was decent for the first 13 episodes or so, then it fell flat to such an incredible degree that it became nigh unwatchable to all but the most diehard fans.

Only difference is that most other anime series didn't hog two hours of adult swim for what felt like decades....

Ah. I remember when Inuyasha was on every night, back before they canned Toonami cut back Adult Swim's anime line up to strictly Saturdays. I agree that it took up far to much programming time, but at least back then they actually showed more anime on Cartoon Network. Dragonball/Z, Tenchi, SailorMoon, Outlaw Star, Various Gundam shows, YuYu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Rurouni Kenshin, Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, Case Closed, Lupin, the occasional hyped special ("R.O.D. ... What the hell is that?")....Those were good times.

And no matter how much I love Cowboy Bebop (I just re-watched the movie last night), I'm kinda getting sick of them repeating the series over and over and over and over again for an hour every Saturday night. Can they not get a license for something else? I admire them for their dedication of getting new episodes of Bleach (even if I'm not fond of it) and Fullmetal Alchemist. And I'm glad they seem to be rotating the 1:30am time slot with different shows (haven't seen Big O or FLCL in ages), but seriously, they need something new and if not something new, something they haven't shown in a while.

End of slight rant.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

CFFJR wrote:
AmishSamurai wrote:I guess Ranma would be a proto-Harem. It has several Harem elements, but doesn't quite fit the bill. Tenchi is kind of a proto-Harem too. I think the first "true" harem series is probably Love Hina.

I can agree with that.

I thought Love Hina was fun, but I didn't love it. Like Ranma 1/2, I just hated who the main character falls in love with in Love Hina

I was actually a big Ranma 1/2 at one time though. I know my posts sound like I'm knocking it but I use to enjoy watching it. Hated Akane though, he really should have went for shampoo or kasumi. Kasumi was a sweetheart and the one character who didn't seem to annoy Ranma. I also thought Ryoga was a cool character. Always wanted to see him get one over on Ranma. Seems like I was always rooting for the wrong characters on that show :lol:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

CFFJR wrote:
AmishSamurai wrote:I guess Ranma would be a proto-Harem. It has several Harem elements, but doesn't quite fit the bill. Tenchi is kind of a proto-Harem too. I think the first "true" harem series is probably Love Hina.

I can agree with that.

Thank you. I just rewatched all of Tenchi recently and it was a blast. None of it at any point ever felt overwhelmingly "harem-ish" or whatnot. Also I hope you guys have seen it in Japanese, Ayeka's English dub blew my face off with how bad it was, I couldn't believe it was real. :lol: I remember Ryoko sounding really old in the English dub back when I saw it on Toonami, but wow Ayeka's is even worse.

I actually liked her a lot in the Muyo OVA's, but Universe not so much. Ryoko was always awesome, and Kiyone was one of my favorites brought into Universe. The third OVA kind of sucked though, ugly early 2000's computer drawn stuff, etc. It was awkward to say the least.

So yeah, when I think of "harem" crap like Love Hina or Vandread comes to mind. No offense, absolutely can't stand stuff like that.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Gamerforlife wrote:
CFFJR wrote:

I can agree with that.

I thought Love Hina was fun, but I didn't love it. Like Ranma 1/2, I just hated who the main character falls in love with in Love Hina

I was actually a big Ranma 1/2 at one time though. I know my posts sound like I'm knocking it but I use to enjoy watching it. Hated Akane though, he really should have went for shampoo or kasumi. Kasumi was a sweetheart and the one character who didn't seem to annoy Ranma. I also thought Ryoga was a cool character. Always wanted to see him get one over on Ranma. Seems like I was always rooting for the wrong characters on that show :lol:

You're not alone man. I can't stand Akane either.

A series like Ranma with such a diverse and hilariously lovable cast, has a female lead in Akane, a polished turd at best. Frustrating. Pairing Ranma up with Akane is supposed to be funny, not romantic.

She has a major story late in the manga that really pissed me off too. Its hard for me to resist my inner nerd and go off about how Ranma doesn't really love her, at least in a romantic way. :lol:

My Ranma girl of choice is definitely Shampoo, though Ukyo is a close second.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Is Ukyou Kuonji awesome? I just know she's voiced by one of my favorite VA's, haha.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Xeogred wrote:Is Ukyou Kuonji awesome? I just know she's voiced by one of my favorite VA's, haha.

Ukyo is definitely awesome. She's a "beat your ass with a sweet smile" kind of girl. And then she feeds you afterward.

Ask Flake, she's his favorite. :lol:
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Xeogred wrote:
CFFJR wrote:

I can agree with that.

Thank you. I just rewatched all of Tenchi recently and it was a blast. None of it at any point ever felt overwhelmingly "harem-ish" or whatnot. Also I hope you guys have seen it in Japanese, Ayeka's English dub blew my face off with how bad it was, I couldn't believe it was real. :lol: I remember Ryoko sounding really old in the English dub back when I saw it on Toonami, but wow Ayeka's is even worse.

I actually liked her a lot in the Muyo OVA's, but Universe not so much. Ryoko was always awesome, and Kiyone was one of my favorites brought into Universe. The third OVA kind of sucked though, ugly early 2000's computer drawn stuff, etc. It was awkward to say the least.

So yeah, when I think of "harem" crap like Love Hina or Vandread comes to mind. No offense, absolutely can't stand stuff like that.

I kind loved both the japanese AND english voices for Tenchi, but I'd definitely agree that I prefer the japanese voices. I didn't love any of the Tenchi tv series, but the two movies based on Tenchi Universe were alright. The original OVA series is the best, but I kind of appreciate the Tenchi Universe continuity for making it clear that Ryoko was the one Tenchi's heart was with.

CFFJR wrote:You're not alone man, I can't stand Akane either.

A series like Ranma with such a diverse and hilariously lovable cast, has a female lead in Akane, a polished turd at best. Frustrating. Pairing Ranma up with Akane is supposed to be funny, not romantic.

She has a major story late in the manga that really pissed me off too. Its hard for me to resist my inner nerd and go off about how Ranma doesn't really love her, at least in a romantic way. :lol:

My Ranma girl of choice is definitely Shampoo, though Ukyo is a close second.

Ukyo! That's who I meant. Did I call her Kasumi?
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah in the end I probably prefer the Muyo OVA's, first two at least. I liked the character introductions a lot more in that one and some of the stuff was just a lot cooler (Tsunami, etc).

By the way just bringing it up again, but you Tenchi fans should check out El Hazard if you haven't! Made by the same creator and done by most of the same staff, character designs, composer, etc. It's great 90's fun. The emphasis on romance is even slimmer than Tenchi, and it's a bit more adventurous. One of the best characters is like a 40 year old teacher who has super human powers when he's not drunk. There's a cat that turns into armor. A goofy lesbian loli. etc and yeah, it's hilariously out there and weird. The first two OVA's were great and I'm midway into the main series, The Wanders right now, it just might top Tenchi for me. The 3rd OVA Alternative World was not that good though... not sure if I recommend that one.

Here's the OP's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQ8dKilBXs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO0kljcs5Cg
RonSwagger

Post by RonSwagger »

now i dont know if these have been listed but I love anime and ill name some of the best that ive seen and the ones im watching

Air Gear
Hunter X Hunter
Durarara!!
Gantz
Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Fairytail

Oh man im gathering blanks :(

Hitman reborn
Kekkashi
Highschool of the dead
Amaenaideyo!!
Amaenaideyo!! Katsu!!
Historys Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Ninja Scroll
Nabri No ou
Black Blood Brothers
Claymore
Death Note
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball GT
Digimon
Pokemon
Eureka 7
Full Metal Panic
Full Metal Alchemist
Furi Kuri aka fooly Cooly FLCL
Most all gundams
Ghost in the Shell
Gun X Sword
Fate Stay Night

and many many more Ill see if i can actually figure out an entire list but those ones are pretty good :) gun x sword is a current watch of mine!
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I haven't watched anime in a long time, but I always did hear good things about El Hazard so I'll keep it in mind. I'm also curious about Slayers Revolution. I think its the only Slayers series I haven't seen. Would love to see Sylphiel and Gourry again, my favorite characters

Still don't know why I forgot Ukyo's name. I really loved that character on Ranma
RyaNtheSlayA wrote: