What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
MrEco
Next-Gen

Re: What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

Post by MrEco »

Xeogred wrote:Wow, $73 sounds outrageous. Where were you looking?

Right here.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Eureka Seven isn't revolutionary, but I was glad that I stuck it out in the end. I found the ending satisfying, and I enjoyed the ride most of the time. It drags a bit, but I thought it was worth it to stick with it.

I think the reason many may have called it "the best ever" is because they only watch what Adult Swim shows - and comparatively, yes, it blows much of AS's stuff out the water. Even with that in consideration, I'd recommend it... if you can find it for around $40, maybe $50. $70 is a bit too much.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Huh, yeah I'd say just run up to some local shops and try and compare prices first. Guess I'm too used to a lot of these new boxsets out there for classic shows for like $30-40 that have 50 some episodes. $70 seems like a bit too much to me for E7.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I've started reading Kimagure Orange Road, and I'm about halfway through.

This series is absolutely adorable. I'm ashamed for not reading it sooner.

Its funny to look at it though and see some elements that have essentially been copycatted many years later in different manga.

Its nice to read something like this though that's not bogged down by constant misunderstandings and battles. Very enjoyable, while being lighthearted with some serious moments.

Its charming. There's really no other word for it.

I also like the power thing, which sounded goofy before I started, but makes for a fun wrinkle in practice. Its funny to see Kyosuke trying and failing to use his power to change something, and its great when he actually succeeds at defusing a bomb with that power. What's really funny are his rationalizations for certain things though. "There's only one option! I must cheat on them!"

Xeogred, since you asked I'll say I like Hikaru a lot. She's not as great as Madoka of course, but she's a fun character. I don't really understand why people would hate her.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Maybe she's generally more tolerable in the manga, who knows... but yeah typically people seem to hate her a lot, haha. I didn't mind her a bit. She reminds me a lot of Kozue a lot from Maison, whom also gets some slack... and I didn't mind her at all either, haha.

The craziest girl in a series like this that I've seen though is hands down Yagami from Maison. Absolute madness right there, but when you see the story through to the end, you just can't help but appreciate her role and everything as well, she was that necessary stepping stone, at least for me. So in the end I even like her, not to mention all the obvious parallels her situation has to a certain someone else... haha. So awesome.

Yuka in Touch reminded me a bit of Yagami, but she was more comical than anything else and the way Tasuya treated her was just hilarious.

Well you're blasting through my recommendations, I have nothing left after that. Haha. Have you read any of City Hunter? Cross Game is really popular too from the Touch creator, but it's baseball again, so hitting that up right after Touch might be too samey, I dunno.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

the7k wrote:I think the reason many may have called it "the best ever" is because they only watch what Adult Swim shows - and comparatively, yes, it blows much of AS's stuff out the water.

I dunno, Cowboy Bebop is probably the best anime Adult Swim has gotten a hold of.

I liked The Big O a lot too. Big O is the shit.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

To be honest I think I always liked Trigun more than Bebop, had more of a bigger over arching story (least the second half) and I guess I liked the comical blend with Vash and all. Too bad like a lot of short shows it just ends... and doesn't cover the whole story from the manga's. Anyways, yeah I guess I just like to compare these two since they were the big ones for me back then. Trigun/Bebop were the first "Hey there's more to anime than DBZ" shows for me. :lol:

From there, I had some friends that bought DVD's back in Jr. High and saw a lot of stuff that way. Rahxephon, Twelve Kingdoms, Iria, Armitage, Record of Lodoss, good times.

Big O I never caught much of actually, been meaning to check it out sometime.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

brunoafh wrote:
the7k wrote:I think the reason many may have called it "the best ever" is because they only watch what Adult Swim shows - and comparatively, yes, it blows much of AS's stuff out the water.

I dunno, Cowboy Bebop is probably the best anime Adult Swim has gotten a hold of.

I liked The Big O a lot too. Big O is the shit.

That was a different time. E7 came around the time AS was abandoning anime. CB & BO were around for the good times.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

@Xeogred
Trigun is pretty sweet too. I need to rewatch that sometime. I think Cowboy Bebop does it for me though, if not for the final 2 episodes alone. That was really something else.

You should check out The Big O sometime though, it's... different. But awesome.

the7k wrote:That was a different time. E7 came around the time AS was abandoning anime. CB & BO were around for the good times.

True, so true. Right along with Lupin III and Yu Yu Hakusho. I haven't been able to stomach any anime Adult Swim has played in years.

Edit: Speaking of Cowboy Bebop, is Wolf's Rain or Samurai Champloo any good? Same staff, right?
Last edited by brunoafh on Sun May 01, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah I'll never forget AS's piss poor attitude about anime there for awhile. They clearly didn't give a shit and wanted it gone (do they air any anime thesedays? lol).

I guess it's not a huge deal since I've moved on to subs and all, but yeah. Just "had to be there" back in the Bebop/Trigun days I guess when AS/Toonami were awesome.