8-bit

Re: What Anime are you Currently Watching?/Anime Recommendations

Post by vicrizer »

I started watching Serial Experiments Lain and Texhnolyze on Veoh
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

Gamerforlife wrote:Kenshin is worth sticking with at least up to the end of the Kyoto Arc, which is really, really good. After that, you can just stop watching as the series veers off from the original manga. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal(stupid, Americanized name)is very, very emotionally powerful as well as extremely violent. It shows a VASTLY different Kenshin than the one in the tv series. You really have to watch it to get a true sense of who Kenshin is as a character. It makes you see him in a very different way. Don't every watch Samurai X:Reflection though which tries to give the anime series an ending by butchering and changing story elements from the manga. It's awful and ends the series on a very different note than the manga did

Also, watch it in japanese. Not knocking the english dub, but Kenshin's unique character and way of speaking are captured better by the japanese voice actress who played him

Thanks for the info! The Samurai X film which tells his back-story is sounding like something I would really enjoy. I fully intend to watch it in Japanese, along with most other anime that I'm going to delve into in the coming months.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Japanese is always the way to do it. :wink:

I gotta be honest I don't love Samurai X as much as most seem too. It's great, but not like the best anime movie(s) ever or anything (not saying you guys are saying that here, but I see others say that a lot). I read up to 10 volumes of the manga and liked it a lot more. It's definitely not nearly as dark and maybe more shonen/formulaic, but it had great characters and everything. Funny it's been mentioned here since I'm downloading the series now myself after finishing Flame of Recca. I also only plan to watch up to 62... or where ever the canon story stuff stops, since I've heard the last filler arc is insanely bad compared to where the manga goes, so I might read the rest of the manga eventually too.

I just wish there was a Hiko spinoff or something though. The chapters about his backstory early on in the manga were incredible, and his appearance in Samurai X says enough. Badass.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

There's quite a few anime topics but they don't get updated that often.

Next on my to-watch list is Spriggan

I read that it's an Akira knockoff but I don't mind at all!
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

^ The Spriggan game for PSX is pretty good by the way.

I'm about to start watching Votoms.
puke_face

Post by puke_face »

RIN is pretty good if you don't mind a little cartoon nudity.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=8931

I watched the first 3 episodes and thought for an anime, it was pretty decent.

Another one of my favorites is Initial D. Always love car racing/drifting shows...
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Czernobog wrote:... I'm having trouble getting into Rurouni Kenshin. I'm less than ten episodes in though so I'm going to give it more of a chance.

Personally, I started by watching the OVAs, then I just went headlong into the first episode of the Kyoto Arc (the one where Saitou first appears, disguised as an apothecary) and stopped as soon as the Kyoto Arc ended. I didn't see the first season until Toonami started showing it, and I never saw anything past the Kyoto Arc with the exception of the manga and Reflections.

I feel pretty sure I made the right decisions.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

Gamerforlife wrote:Kenshin is worth sticking with at least up to the end of the Kyoto Arc, which is really, really good. After that, you can just stop watching as the series veers off from the original manga. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal(stupid, Americanized name)is very, very emotionally powerful as well as extremely violent. It shows a VASTLY different Kenshin than the one in the tv series. You really have to watch it to get a true sense of who Kenshin is as a character. It makes you see him in a very different way. Don't every watch Samurai X:Reflection though which tries to give the anime series an ending by butchering and changing story elements from the manga. It's awful and ends the series on a very different note than the manga did

Definitely true! The Kyoto arc was probably one of the best storylines in any serialized animated show, (IMHO.) Very emotional and very intense, which is how a story should be conveyed! After the ordeal with Shishio ends, though, feel free to stop watching anytime.. *yawn*. In fact - Do yourself a favor and, like Xeogred recommends, pick up the mangas, as they are the best!

Personally, as convoluted as it was, I liked Reflection. It still had plenty of emotion, and managed to maintain some of the seriousness that made Samurai X so great! It's by no means as good or better, but it's a nice afterthought, I felt.

Gamerforlife wrote:Also, watch it in japanese. Not knocking the english dub, but Kenshin's unique character and way of speaking are captured better by the japanese voice actress who played him

Oro??
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

Watching Martian Successor Nadesico now. Almost ragequit after episode 3 though. If you've watched, you know why. ;-;
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw