Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: The Comic Book Thread

by flojocabron Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:55 am

:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

DAMMIT! I'm moving to a new place and this happens! some sort of insects got into my comics! They were in a cardboard box in my back room Thankfully they got full off of some stuff and not my whole collection!(three milkcrates and like 4 others in boxes). Thank goodness for plastic crates! Those bastards totally destroyed the cardboard and got to my comics that were not in plastic. Now some or my comics are covered in cardboard dust! And I have no time to clean them since I have more important things to move!

so which bug did this? I have no idea. Those comics have been sitting in that room for a better part of two years! :|

As an added bonus check out the Irony of the graphic novel that was attacked!
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
flojocabron
Next-Gen

by flojocabron Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:59 am

heres the floor after what those little basterds did! now I have to get a scraper and probably some heavy duty cleaner too!
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:11 am

flojocabron wrote:DAMMIT! I'm moving to a new place and this happens! some sort of insects got into my comics! They were in a cardboard box in my back room Thankfully they got full off of some stuff and not my whole collection!(three milkcrates and like 4 others in boxes). Thank goodness for plastic crates! Those bastards totally destroyed the cardboard and got to my comics that were not in plastic. Now some or my comics are covered in cardboard dust! And I have no time to clean them since I have more important things to move!

so which bug did this? I have no idea. Those comics have been sitting in that room for a better part of two years! :|

As an added bonus check out the Irony of the graphic novel that was attacked!

Wow. I enjoyed X-tinction Agenda back in the day. It was the prelude to Image Comics.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Mendoza
128-bit

by Mendoza Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:02 pm

Bradtemple87 wrote:
OldSchool_Boy wrote:Anyone read Marvel Zombies? Was that good or no?

The original arc was great but skip the follow-ups

Yeah they just keep running that thing into the ground. I really wish they would just stop.

Outside of the Walking Dead most zombie comics are a joke now.

Even mr high and mighty Warren Ellis did one for Avatar.

Black Gas. The first half is ok, but the second half was god awfull and totaly ripped of the ending of Return of the Living Dead.

Avatar press had a decent thing going with their Escape of the Living Dead and Night of the Living Dead comics, as long as you only took them as disposable pulp, but it wore thin after a while and i just gave up on it all together after their Night of the Living Dead New York one shot.
OldSchool_Boy
Next-Gen

by OldSchool_Boy Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Since this is the Comic Book thread, I figure it would be appropriate to ask what's your favorite comic to movie adaptations and why.

Also, I got Superman Red Son and Marvel Zombies but don't worry I will be getting Batman:Black Glove and Superman: Earth One next time I head out. Also does any like Spawn?

elmagicochrisg wrote:Sandman Mystery Theatre...

Can you elaborate more on this?
final fight cd wrote:moral of story: when in a shady part of town, don't ask random thugs where the sega is at.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:18 pm

OldSchool_Boy wrote:Since this is the Comic Book thread, I figure it would be appropriate to ask what's your favorite comic to movie adaptations and why.

Also, I got Superman Red Son and Marvel Zombies but don't worry I will be getting Batman:Black Glove and Superman: Earth One next time I head out. Also does any like Spawn?

elmagicochrisg wrote:Sandman Mystery Theatre...

Can you elaborate more on this?

If we count animated movies, I loved Batman: Under the Red Hood. I am only mildly familiar with the story of Red Hood in the comics but it seems like the movies took the most important elements and crafted a great movie around it. It's the best Batman movie I have seen, even outdoing Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond:Return of the Joker(in a lot of ways Batman:Under the Red Hood is a more serious take on what they did in Return of the Joker)

I would rank it above Nolan and Burton's work too. I love Nolan's Batman movies, but have some nitpicks with them. In Batman Begins, Raj Alghul was not nearly as cool as his comic book counterpart. I also didn't like Batman breaking his no kill rule in that movie and like a lot of people I dislike Christian Bales's ridiculously over the top Batman voice. Burton's movies were fun, but paid little attention to the comic books. For my money though, Keaton was the best actor in the Batman role. He captured Batman's broodiness and angst so well and he had an awkwardness as Bruce Wayne that I liked(since Bruce is the "fake" personality while Batman is the REAL one). Christian Bale only seems to nail the Bruce Wayne part and even there he is a bit too comfortable in it. It's easy to forget that that is not who Batman really is when watching Bale play him

As for non-animated movies, I think Spider-Man and Sin City were the best. Sin City is the first movie to capture the "look" of a comic book(then in typical fashion another move came along to try and steal its thunder and that movie was 300). From what I have heard it was pretty faithful to the comic books too, particularly the extended dvd special edition.

Spider-Man captured the Peter Parker I know so perfectly I felt. The geeky loser who gets thrown in the life of a hero.

I don't know too much about Spawn, other than that it brought Tod McFarlane lots of cash and had a decent animated series. However, I have a great appreciation for Spawn because of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Saga

A Question of Heaven is brilliant

Also, I didn't find anything about Black Glove at my fave comic shop, but did pick up Batman R.I.P. The shop owner seems to love what Morrison is doing with Batman and he's actually more of a Superman fan
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

by elmagicochrisg Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
OldSchool_Boy
Next-Gen

by OldSchool_Boy Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:49 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:
If we count animated movies, I loved Batman: Under the Red Hood. I am only mildly familiar with the story of Red Hood in the comics but it seems like the movies took the most important elements and crafted a great movie around it. It's the best Batman movie I have seen, even outdoing Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond:Return of the Joker(in a lot of ways Batman:Under the Red Hood is a more serious take on what they did in Return of the Joker)

I would rank it above Nolan and Burton's work too. I love Nolan's Batman movies, but have some nitpicks with them. In Batman Begins, Raj Alghul was not nearly as cool as his comic book counterpart. I also didn't like Batman breaking his no kill rule in that movie and like a lot of people I dislike Christian Bales's ridiculously over the top Batman voice. Burton's movies were fun, but paid little attention to the comic books. For my money though, Keaton was the best actor in the Batman role. He captured Batman's broodiness and angst so well and he had an awkwardness as Bruce Wayne that I liked(since Bruce is the "fake" personality while Batman is the REAL one). Christian Bale only seems to nail the Bruce Wayne part and even there he is a bit too comfortable in it. It's easy to forget that that is not who Batman really is when watching Bale play him

As for non-animated movies, I think Spider-Man and Sin City were the best. Sin City is the first movie to capture the "look" of a comic book(then in typical fashion another move came along to try and steal its thunder and that movie was 300). From what I have heard it was pretty faithful to the comic books too, particularly the extended dvd special edition.

Spider-Man captured the Peter Parker I know so perfectly I felt. The geeky loser who gets thrown in the life of a hero.

I don't know too much about Spawn, other than that it brought Tod McFarlane lots of cash and had a decent animated series. However, I have a great appreciation for Spawn because of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Saga

A Question of Heaven is brilliant

Also, I didn't find anything about Black Glove at my fave comic shop, but did pick up Batman R.I.P. The shop owner seems to love what Morrison is doing with Batman and he's actually more of a Superman fan

I completely forgot about the animated films. I never seen them but I will be checking out the ones you mentioned. I never really read the Batman comics so I grew up watching the movies by Tim Burton and Joel Shumacher and I can just re-watch any of them except Batman and Robin. I always wanted to see Batman and Robin when I was a little kid but I never had the chance and when I did see it older, I liked it but it's not something I would watch again. When Batman Begins came out, I saw it and liked it but I was kind of hesitant because of the fact that he basically went to ninja school but that concept grew on me. The Dark Knight though was about 20 minutes to long. It's really good but it seemed to just kind of drag on at the end.

The Spiderman movies I always liked. The first one was great and the second was really my favorite out of the series but the third one seemed kind of unnecessary to me. It didn't really pan out the way I wanted to as a fan of the film series.

Sin City and 300 are also some favorites. The Spirit I liked it for what it is but I need to re-watch it.

elmagicochrisg wrote:
First of all, the main character (Wesley Dodds) isn't your typical superhero, instead he's just a normal guy, a detective, using a gasmask, and a gun that fires sleeping gas. Being a normal human being made it easier for me to identify myself with him. That, plus the combination of the gasmask and the long trench coat make him look awesome.

I also like the drawing style. It looks kinda ugly, filthy even, but it so fits the dark and gritty atmosphere and settings. This is not a children's comic book. It's gritty 1930s detective noir at its best.

I also like the fact that all the stories have a real beginning and end. The individual stories are always limited to just a few issues. Whick makes them easy to pick up as TPBs.

Not for everyone, but definitely worth checking out.

And yes, Spawn is definitely worth checking out also... :wink:

I always like the Noir style of films and the Hard Boiled detective stories so I will be checking this series out. Is there any specific story arc that I should look for?
final fight cd wrote:moral of story: when in a shady part of town, don't ask random thugs where the sega is at.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

by elmagicochrisg Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:18 pm

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
Wolfgang
8-bit

by Wolfgang Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:47 pm

What is your favorite comic series of all-time?

X-Men (Which also includes X-Men Evolution)

What is your favorite currently running comic?

Different versions of the X-Men comics.

Who is your favorite comic publisher (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Vertigo, IDW, TokyoPop, Viz, etc.)?

Marvel.

What was your favorite comic storyline/Crossover Event?

Nightcrawler is kidnapped by Striker and is imprisoned. He finds out who he really is and who Striker really is. Meanwhile back at home, his girlfriend prays for him. (X-Men 2 comic book)

Who is your favorite hero/protaganist?

Nightcrawler, the blue dude who can teleport.

Who is your favorite villain?

Magento.
Hello? Tech support? I can't figure out how to edit my forum signature...
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever