Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
btzillaguy
8-bit

Re: Any comic fans want to recommend some good recent trades?

by btzillaguy Thu May 20, 2010 11:18 am

This topic is SO in my wheelhouse

Kingdom Come--A possible future for the DC Universe starring the Big 3 (Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman) with gorgeous painted artwork by Alex Ross and a riveting story by Mark Waid

Batman: The Long Halloween--stylized art by Tim Sale and a mega-event story by Jeph Loeb featuring Batman after Year One. You can see where a lot of inspiration for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight came from.

Batman Year One: The beginning, by Frank Miller

The Dark Knight Returns: An interesting take on a possible future Batman by Frank Miller, although I would beware of The Dark Knight Strikes Again and All-Star Batman

Batman: The Killing Joke--the origin story of the Joker and the book that best depicts the complex relationship between Batman and his nemesis

Y: The Last Man: One of my favorite comic series, Brian K Vaughan's tale about the last Man on earth after a mysterious event wipes out all the other males. Especially love the ending.

Watchmen: Much, much better than the movie

Anything Hellboy: I love the character and enjoy the fact he often has adventures involving folklore and mythological creatures from all around the world.

Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt--the story that finally makes everyone takes Kraven seriously as he buries Spider-Man alive and takes his place

Spider-Man: Reign--an alternate future where Peter Parker, sad and lonely having never gotten over the death of his wife MJ many years ago, must become Spider-Man again to save New York

Joker by Brian Azzarello--a fascinating, dark, violent pulpy noir version of the Joker told through the eyes of his one his regular joe thugs

All-Star Superman: Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely spend 12 issues celebrating the iconic character with stories that highlight the best of who he is

American Born Chinese--a wonderful original graphic novel about an American Chinese boy that tries to grow up and fit-in in America.

Locke & Key series--written by Stephen King's son Joe Hill and gorgeously illustrated by Gabriel Rodriguez, a new series of supernatural stories featuring a family of 3 kids who witnessed their father violently murdered that discover their family home holds many mysterious keys each with specific powers. But there is a demon who disguises himself in search for these same powerful keys, who knew their father when he was a child.

Samurai: Heaven and Earth series--beautifully illustrated by Luke Ross, the story of a samurai who travels across the world in search of his love who was kidnapped
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

The Comic Book Thread

by BurningDoom Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:12 pm

So I've already thrown a couple similar threads out there about Dragonball Z and Pro-Wrestling, too loves in my life other than video games. However comic books is my first and greatest love, even before gaming.

I grew up on comics. My dad had a HUGE comic collection that got me started and even helped to teach me how to read before school because I wanted to know what was going on. I started out loving Superman and Captain Marvel (Shazam), as well as old EC horror comic reprints (Tales From the Crypt, Vault of Horror, etc.) and just expanded from there. Now I read most anything interesting looking from DC Comics and Marvel Comics. I'll also check out licensed comic of my favorite stuff like Halo, Resident Evil, Star Trek, and others.

The Comic Fanboy Questionnaire:

What is your favorite comic series of all-time?

Green Lantern. I've been a GL fan since the early 90s and haven't looked back. I even have a GL tatto on my arm. :mrgreen: I'm one of the few fans that like Hal-Parallax (but I still enjoy him as a GL) and I'm a Kyle Rayner fan.

JSA vol. 1 (late 90s to mid 2000s series), comes in at a very close second. And Avengers Vol. 3 (late 90s to mid 2000s series) right behind it. Both of those were perfect examples of super-hero team books done right. They stared characters we wanted to see, mixed with some new obscure characters to learn about but not too many that the team became water-down. Epic villains, and epic storylines, and rocking artwork.

What is your favorite currently running comic?

Again, Green Lantern. Geoff Johns is my favorite comic writer, and his Green Lantern has been arguably his greatest stuff he's ever done. Between GL: Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War, and Blackest Night, is there anything GL that this guy touches that isn't good? However his run on the first JSA series was pretty dang epic, too.

Who is your favorite comic publisher (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Vertigo, IDW, TokyoPop, Viz, etc.)?

DC Comics. I'm a huge Green Lantern, JSA, JLA, Superman, and Shazam fan and all those characters are at DC Comics. I also read a whole lot of Marvel Comics, though. Can't miss Spider-Man, Venom, Ghost Rider, Avengers, and Iron Man.

What was your favorite comic storyline/Crossover Event?

This is a really hard question for me. I really can't just choose one. The Emerald Twilight in the last volume of Green Lantern. Sinestro Corps War in the current volume of Green Lantern. DC Comics' Kingdom Come. X-Men: The Age of Apocalypse (Original storyline). DC Comics' Crisis on Infinite Earths. The Ultimates Vol. 1. So much good stuff out there.

Who is your favorite hero/protaganist?

Green Lantern, of course. Kyle Rayner in particular was my favorite for a long time, as that's the GL I followed through most of the 90s. But Geoff Johns' run on the current Green Lantern series is making me a big Hal Jordan fan, too.

Who is your favorite villain?

Venom & Carnage. I know, that's cheating, it's two. But the two of them are so connected that it counts. I just love the symbiotes. They deadly, they're dangerous, and they look so freaking cool. It's like Spider-Man on steroids. I know a lot of people like to bash them nowadays due to their overexposure in the 90s, but there's a reason they got overexposed to begin with, because they were good villains before being oversaturated.

Who is your favorite comic writer?

Geoff Johns, as I've already mentioned a few times in this thing. He is responsible for the modern Green Lantern series that is flying off of shelves. He did the epic writing of the first JSA series. And he did the oh-so awesome Infinite Crisis crossover event, as well as the weekly follow-up series 52 that was so enjoyable. He also penned the last 50 or so issues of Wally West's Flash series that ran from the late 90s to the mid-2000s. His DC Comics debut was on Stars and Stripes, which starred Stargirl and a giant robot before she joined the JSA.

Who is your favorite comic artist?

This is a tough one for me. Boris Vallejo is by far the best cover artist, but I've never seen him do interiors and he's more known for his fantasy art than anything else. Alex Ross is a fantastic painter that does primarily work in the comics field, unlike Vallejo. As for pencillers Michael Turner, Jim Lee, David Finch, Ethan Van Sciver, and Todd McFarlane are all pretty nice to look at.
Last edited by BurningDoom on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
SpaceBooger

Re: The Comic Book Thread

by SpaceBooger Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:20 pm

I think most of these questions can be answered if you read my site... but thats the cheap way out.
When I have more time I'll gladly post answers to all of your questions.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:59 pm

Since I'm not really into comics these days and wasn't even a big collecting nut back in the day either. I'm just gonna throw out short encompassing answers.

I loved the Davis & Neary Excalibur books when the series started. Later on it went downhill and I gave up around 75 or so. Marshall Law was also really good stuff. The Hellraiser crossover books were rather meh, but everything else was good to fantastic.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:09 pm

i used to love collecting/reading Amazing Spider-Man and Uncanny X-Men. i believe Savage Dragon was the last comic book i've collected along with Jim Lee's WildCats.
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:16 pm

I've never been into comics.

Can someone clarify something for me, please?

To me there seems to be an insurmountable barrier of entry to comics. Too many worlds, side-stories, intersecting plots, characters, etc, etc. Is this impression true or it isn't really that hard to catch up with what's going on on most universes?
Last edited by jfrost on Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:19 pm

You know I'm surprised, I don't think I've seen an actual thread dedicated SOLELY to comic books on here in quite a while, if ever. Nice :D

Favorite series:
Right now I think I'm gonna go with Y:The Last Man or maybe Joss Whedon's short Fray mini-series

Fave current comic:
Buffy season 8. I'm a huge Buffy/Angel and Joss Whedon fan

Fave Publisher:
DC

Currently though, I love IDW and Darkhorse for Angel and Buffy comics, respectively

Favorite Hero:
Easy. Batman, no contest

I also love Deadpool though, alsong with Wolverine and Spider-Man

Favorite Villian:
BATMAN'S ENTIRE ROGUES GALLERY :lol:

I don't have an answer for the other questions though. Those are questions for bigger comic book fans than I am. On a side note, I'm starting to get back into collecting trades and paperbacks again. I LOVE the Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Tales hardcover trade that just came out very recently. I'd give this thing a 10 if I rated it
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

by BurningDoom Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:25 pm

jfrost wrote:I've never been into comics.

Can someone clarify something for me, please?

To me there seems to be an unsurmountable barrier of entry to comics. Too many worlds, side-stories, intersecting plots, characters, etc, etc. Is this impression true or it isn't really that hard to catch up with what's going on on most universes?

Sadly, yes, that's true, at least for most DC and Marvel comics it is. What you need is a friend that's into comics to ease you in and explain any confusing parts.

If not that, then just start with #1 issues. #1 are guaranteed starting points where you're getting in on the ground floor.

Or, starting next month, Marvel is doing a bunch of .1 issues. Any issues of comic series by Marvel that have a number with .1 at the end, such as Amazing Spider-Man 320.1 or something similar, that is supposed to be a perfect jumping on point for new readers. They will also sell .1 issues at $1 less than normal issue to make it more accessible. $2.99 an issue rather than the normal $3.99 price.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Medical Dust
16-bit

by Medical Dust Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:27 pm

I really love:

Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck works by Carl Barks

Calvin and Hobbes

Frank, by Jim Woodring

Pogo, by Walt Kelly

and The Adventures of Tintin, by Herge

Don't think I will ever get into superhero comics anytime soon, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good one-shot.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:29 pm

The Comic Fanboy Questionnaire:

What is your favorite comic series of all-time?

To answer you this you almost have to pick a series that is completed.
Based on completed series, I would have to say Denny O'neil and Denys Cowan's "The Question"
The 1987 series was gritty and dealt with politics and crime that was really found in real cities, but it was dealt with in manners that could only be done in comic books. Here is an example of what I mean.

What is your favorite currently running comic?

Detective Comics.
Why? Because it's the Granddaddy of them all AND because during the 70's and 80's it housed some of the best Batman stories every told.

Who is your favorite comic publisher (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Vertigo, IDW, TokyoPop, Viz, etc.)?

DC Comics.
As a teenager I loved Marvel because there was something about the more realistic story settings and antiheroes of the 90s, but as I got older I changed to DC. DC are more fun and they feel more unrealistic and that makes it easier for me to imagine them really taking place... in another universe.

What was your favorite comic storyline/Crossover Event?

This is a hard one and I have to pick Three:

A) Secret Wars. This is the crossover that started it all. It may not have been the first one ever, but it was the one that started the trend.

B) The Age of Apocalypse. This was the final curtain call for me being a Marvel Comics fan. I know that doesn't sound like it's a good thing, but it is. The Age of Apocalypse was a giant "what if" story that took place in an alternate timeline. The story was fun and exactly the type of stuff that was being told in DC Comics. When The Age of Apocalypse ended and the X-Men went back to status quo, I started reading more DC Comics.

C) Crisis on Infinite Earths. This comic is everything that DC Comics is to me. DC used to have multiple Earths that were similar yet different. This was meant to keep readers from being confused when they updated characters like Superman (the original Superman couldn't fly and got his power from the lack of gravity VS the current Superman who gets his powers from our yellow sun.) After the success of Secret Wars, DC wanted to do a crossover and streamline the continuity of their comics. Crisis on Infinite Earths merged all of the worlds into one that redefined and updated the DC Universe to the one I grew up reading.

Who is your favorite hero/protaganist?

Superman.
I have wrote multiple things about him from essays to motivational stories explaining my respect for the character. Heck, even my son is named after him.
Really, I hate linking to my site but if you want to know the real answer read "Call Me Clark"

Who is your favorite villain?

The Joker.
The Joker once said that everyone is "one bad day away" from becoming him. We look up to Batman because of his dedication and desire to his work and we think that maybe if we worked that hard we could be like him... Well the Joker is the same just in the opposite direction.
I also wrote something from the point of view of the Joker... yeah I know it's another link.

Who is your favorite comic writer?

Denny O'neil.
His take on Batman and The Question are phenomenal. Denny almost single handedly created the "Worlds Greatest Detective" version of Batman.

Who is your favorite comic artist?

Norm Breyfogle.
Nuff Said
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever