Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
User avatar
opa
64-bit
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:25 am

Re: The Comic Book Thread

by opa Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:48 am

I've been reading Target Vader. It's about some bounty hunters going after Darth Vader. Gee, I wonder how this is gonna turn out. It's good so far; currently only two issues are published. I'm not really into mainline Star Wars comics but I enjoy these side stories about bounty hunters, jabba, etc.
User avatar
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5112
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:02 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: The Comic Book Thread

by Forlorn Drifter Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:48 pm

I'm not liking all the rumors swirling around D.C. right now. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to find out what is happening, but it's a bit frustrating.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
User avatar
bmoc
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: The Comic Book Thread

by bmoc Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:22 am

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2020/7/15/21325429/new-rorschach-comic-watchmen-tom-king-october-release

I'm always down for more Watchmen content. I liked Doomsday Clock and the new Rorschach they introduced. I'll definitely give this one a go.

On a related topic, can anyone recommend an online comic subscription service? I'd like to avoid going to my local-ish comic shop because of covid. I've looked at tfaw.com's subscription service as I've ordered singles from them in the past. Should I look at a different vendor?
User avatar
Sload Soap
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:43 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Comic Book Thread

by Sload Soap Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:01 am

I was always with grumpy old Alan Moore that Watchman remain its own thing but DC has completely broken that seal now so it's no use arguing. I preferred to imagine the Watchmen universe as being somewhat adjacent to the main DCU but not a place Superman could just fly to. A bit like the realms of Dream and the Endless in that regard. However, in Death Metal both Wally West and The Batman Who Laughs have Dr Manhattan powers so that universe has as much prestige as Earth-3 nowadays so, whatever.

Doomsday Clock I thought was quite flawed in the end but not totally without merit unlike the Before Watchmen series they ran a few years prior. But if we are to get a spin-off then Tom King is exactly the right person to do Rorschach. He didn't work out on Batman and Heroes in Crisis blows but he does excel in those mini-series runs. Mister Miracle and Vision were great and his current Strange Adventures is shaping up well.
User avatar
CFFJR
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4418
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: The Comic Book Thread

by CFFJR Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:27 am

bmoc wrote:On a related topic, can anyone recommend an online comic subscription service? I'd like to avoid going to my local-ish comic shop because of covid. I've looked at tfaw.com's subscription service as I've ordered singles from them in the past. Should I look at a different vendor?


I've never used tfaw, but I have been using Atomic Empire for years and can recommend them with confidence. Super easy to add or drop titles at any moment including events (they'll send you everything related to it), you can place extra orders and have them ship with your regular subscription shipments, and you can choose any shipping schedule you like. If you care about acquiring specific covers you can easily choose those as well. They package everything safely too.

It's just ridiculously convenient and easy and I've always been very happy with the service.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
User avatar
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5112
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:02 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: The Comic Book Thread

by Forlorn Drifter Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:08 pm

Sload Soap wrote:I was always with grumpy old Alan Moore that Watchman remain its own thing but DC has completely broken that seal now so it's no use arguing. I preferred to imagine the Watchmen universe as being somewhat adjacent to the main DCU but not a place Superman could just fly to. A bit like the realms of Dream and the Endless in that regard. However, in Death Metal both Wally West and The Batman Who Laughs have Dr Manhattan powers so that universe has as much prestige as Earth-3 nowadays so, whatever.

Doomsday Clock I thought was quite flawed in the end but not totally without merit unlike the Before Watchmen series they ran a few years prior. But if we are to get a spin-off then Tom King is exactly the right person to do Rorschach. He didn't work out on Batman and Heroes in Crisis blows but he does excel in those mini-series runs. Mister Miracle and Vision were great and his current Strange Adventures is shaping up well.

Did you happen to read King’s run on Batman? I need to start working on rebirth era Batman, and I was curious if anyone thought there was any parts of that run that were actually good. I’ve had cold days seriously suggested, but that’s about it.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
User avatar
bmoc
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: The Comic Book Thread

by bmoc Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:26 am

CFFJR wrote:I've never used tfaw, but I have been using Atomic Empire for years and can recommend them with confidence. Super easy to add or drop titles at any moment including events (they'll send you everything related to it), you can place extra orders and have them ship with your regular subscription shipments, and you can choose any shipping schedule you like. If you care about acquiring specific covers you can easily choose those as well. They package everything safely too.

It's just ridiculously convenient and easy and I've always been very happy with the service.

I'm definitely going to give them a look. They are physically much closer to my location so I'd likely get my items much quicker. Thanks!
User avatar
Sload Soap
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:43 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The Comic Book Thread

by Sload Soap Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:59 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Did you happen to read King’s run on Batman? I need to start working on rebirth era Batman, and I was curious if anyone thought there was any parts of that run that were actually good. I’ve had cold days seriously suggested, but that’s about it.


I did read all of Tom King's run in the end. It's very much a case of your mileage will vary as King's portrayal of Batman makes Bruce a massive prick. I am Gotham and I am Suicide are both pretty fun reads on their own. War of Jokes and Riddles is okay, it's really a Kite-Man story (seriously) but I do like how King doesn't just turn the whole thing into a massive punch up. The Wedding stuff has some lame issues and some great single issues (the one with Swamp Thing and the double date with Superman/Lois are good). Cold Days as it's collected is one part good Freeze story and one part lead in to Dick Grayson's new status quo. Both tie heavily to the wedding so might not be the best jump in point. The later stuff is the more contentious content, Nightmares is a slog and the City of Bane is quite anti-climatic considering the build up. None of it is as bad as people make out but none of it is as transformative as Year One, Killing Joke or Dark Knight Returns. So start at the beginning and if you like his take you can move from there would be my advice.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests