The Comic Book Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: The Comic Book Thread

Post by Hobie-wan »

jfrost wrote:I've never been into comics.

Can someone clarify something for me, please?

To me there seems to be an insurmountable barrier of entry to comics. Too many worlds, side-stories, intersecting plots, characters, etc, etc. Is this impression true or it isn't really that hard to catch up with what's going on on most universes?

I stayed away from major series for that reason. I know at one point there were 6 Spider Man books coming out every month. In the 90s the crossovers started going nuts so you had to buy way too much to keep up. There are plenty of indie comics though so you could read and enjoy a series or two without going insane.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

You know I forgot about Crisis on Infinite Earths. That was one hell of a story, a bit convoluted but that was understandable given its purpose. Great Supergirl moment too
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

What is your favorite comic series of all-time?

Something Marvel perhaps

What is your favorite currently running comic?

Walking Dead

Who is your favorite comic publisher (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Vertigo, IDW, TokyoPop, Viz, etc.)?

What was your favorite comic storyline/Crossover Event?

GI Joe Transformers (Dreamwave), Amazing dark art style

Who is your favorite hero/protaganist?

The Punisher, real man, powers not needed 8)

Who is your favorite villain?

Venom & Carnage

Who is your favorite comic writer?

Robert Kirkman or Brian K Vaughn

Who is your favorite comic artist?

Frank Franzetta, RIP, than man could draw!
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

I looove comics as well!

my love of them led me to many cool things as a kid

Growing up I read lots of the big three:marvel, DC, and Image.

I'm partial to 80's comics! Transformers, Gi Joe, the late 80's run of Daredevil, swampthing, and Sandman! its all good!

I always buy anything I can get my grubby hands on!

Took me a couple of years but I finally read many of my comics! One time for like $50 bucks I ended up getting lots of comics, about 4 milk crates of them! Plus some that I've bought over time used and in trades.

Sadly where I live theres no comic book stores. My local one closed about 3 years ago.

I've tried buying online, but I just dont like to do that, I like to buy them in person, going into the comic store, staring at them,talking to the owner, the whole atmosphere of being there!

Yeah it is hard to get into comics now, but you just have to dive in and hope for the best.

many times comics are put in larger volumes and those are the ones you can start with!
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

The only comics I've ever collected regularly are Johnny The Homicidal Maniac, Squee, and the manga Battle Angel. I also loved The Watchmen graphic novel. I've only bought or read a handful of other comics in my lifetime though.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
brainofjtd
24-bit

Post by brainofjtd »

Because I like japanese comics, I'll include their answers too.

What is your favorite comic series of all-time?

Grant Morrison's Batman/Trigun Maximum

What is your favorite currently running comic?

Irredeemable/Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Who is your favorite comic publisher (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Vertigo, IDW, TokyoPop, Viz, etc.)?

DC Comics, I would say Vertigo but they're an imprint./?

Final Crisis/?

Who is your favorite hero/protaganist?

Green Lantern/Vash the Stampede

Who is your favorite villain?

The Rogues/Millions Knives

Who is your favorite comic writer?

Grant Morrison or Mark Waid/?

Who is your favorite comic artist?

?/?
"The sad thing is they'd probably throw someone like Zorro in Arkham." - Thomas Wayne
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

Post by BurningDoom »

brainofjtd wrote:

Final Crisis/?

For me, that was one of the most overly-complicated messes of a story I've ever seen in comics. I didn't like it. Both Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis were much better Crisis stories, IMO. It made me sad because I absolutely LOVED Morrison's JLA run and X-Men run.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

BurningDoom wrote:Sadly, yes, that's true, at least for most DC and Marvel comics it is. What you need is a friend that's into comics to ease you in and explain any confusing parts.

If not that, then just start with #1 issues. #1 are guaranteed starting points where you're getting in on the ground floor.

Or, starting next month, Marvel is doing a bunch of .1 issues. Any issues of comic series by Marvel that have a number with .1 at the end, such as Amazing Spider-Man 320.1 or something similar, that is supposed to be a perfect jumping on point for new readers. They will also sell .1 issues at $1 less than normal issue to make it more accessible. $2.99 an issue rather than the normal $3.99 price.

Well, that's a bummer. I guess I'll stick to closed stories and stay away from the huge ass universes from the major publishers. That's a shame, though. I can't even try and pick up some of these .1 issues, as I'm not in America.
OldSchool_Boy
Next-Gen

Post by OldSchool_Boy »

As far as comics go 100 Bullets are all I ever read. I've always loved the concept of getting a monthly issue but I just lose focus and the collected issues are really the only ones that I can read.

Any recommendations on collected series?
final fight cd wrote:moral of story: when in a shady part of town, don't ask random thugs where the sega is at.