The Comic Book Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Re: The Comic Book Thread

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I meant that added up they'll cost upwards of that. So, three HQ Omnibuses at $60-80 a pop, Batman by Snyder omnibus at $80, all of Knightfall is at least $60, etc.

I just really prefer to buy the big thick books when I can, I read so fast that trades don't really cut it.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ah, that explains things. I thought you meant you were looking at just one that cost $600!

Have you looked into the Essential Editions or DC Showcase Presents? Some of those can be found for a lot cheaper. For example, Jonah Hex got a two volume set:

Volume 1
Volume 2

I went the Showcase Presents route for collections of Haunted Tank, Doc Savage, and Our Army at War, and I've enjoyed them immensely.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Most of them are "(Character) by (Author) Omnibus". For example, the Batman one is "Batman by Snyder and Capullo Omnibus". It's mostly new stuff, so I'm sure that has to do with the cost. I don't know, it's hard to keep track because DC has so many different ways of naming collections. New 52 has trades and a few Omnibuses, but earlier stuff might come in like 5 different formats, and post Rebirth stuff may or may not have "Deluxe" editions, which is good enough for me length wise.

I guess I have to keep looking and see if I can find some deals or buy 2 get 1 free kind of stuff.

It's funny, Hex is one of the ones I was looking at grabbing, but I want the Palmiotti run, which apparently expensive now.

marurun

Post by marurun »

Have you checked to see if your local library offers Hoopla? There's a great selection of DC comics on Hoopla available to read electronically. I did OK with them on my 7" tablet, but I recently got a Kindle Fire 10" and now I can read the text a little more clearly.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

marurun wrote:Have you checked to see if your local library offers Hoopla? There's a great selection of DC comics on Hoopla available to read electronically. I did OK with them on my 7" tablet, but I recently got a Kindle Fire 10" and now I can read the text a little more clearly.

I haven't. I'm trying to avoid digital, because I hate reading comics on screens. I'll check it out if I swing by the library though, might be worth a shot.

I've also considered just buying the trades and rebinding them, but that seems costly too, and I'm scared to try it on my own.

Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I guess I have to keep looking and see if I can find some deals or buy 2 get 1 free kind of stuff.

Barnes and Noble has sales like that pretty frequently. Individually, those books are gonna be cheaper on, say, Amazon (duh). But when they have those B2G1 sales, it usually ends up being a good deal on the type of things you're looking for. That's usually when I end up picking things like that up.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Look for used copies too. Comic book stores often have X% off sales and I've gotten some omnibuses (omnibi?) for like 5-10 dollars.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Thanks for the suggestions. Have to try and find some more comic stores near me, the closest one is pretty much only Marvel stuff.

marurun

Post by marurun »

Have you tried looking for used copies on Amazon? Or visiting a Half Price Books (do they have those near you?)
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

marurun wrote:Have you tried looking for used copies on Amazon? Or visiting a Half Price Books (do they have those near you?)

Used copies on Amazon are generally not much better price wise. Maybe a 5 dollar difference, at most.

I check the local Half Price Books every time I go, but it usually leans towards Image/Dark Horse and manga.