Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: connection-speeds

by Exhuminator Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:57 am

My fantastic internet speed.

By "fantastic" I mean I pay Windstream way too much money for this shit.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:15 pm

Exhuminator wrote:Image

My fantastic internet speed.

By "fantastic" I mean I pay Windstream way too much money for this shit.

I cringe when I hear my customers mention they have Windstream.

They bought out the terrible SIP based IP PBX AllWorx. They have a horse in the race to always push it on their customers, on top of their circuits. I get a call...

"Yeah we have an AllWorx IP phone sysem going crazy."
me: "Do you have Windstream?"
"How'd you know!?"
me: "You lease that terrible system as part of your monthly ISP service. In addition to overpaying for service you have probably paid for the phone system 5 times over by now & they don't give you any software updates or programming changes. You should get off that."

I didn't even know they did residential. Poor soul.

... off soap box :lol:
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

Im not Xeo but I can answer this:
Jagosaurus wrote:Do they literally run glass directly to your house, then break off the Ethernet?

Yes. They run a glass line into your house to a "Fiber Jack" (coded as GFLT100 or 110) and then their is a small SC based line to the "Network Box" which hands off gigabit based rj45s.

Its still a PON, like EPB in Chattanooga, WOW in many markets, or the new ATT true fiber installs, so enjoy it while it lasts. PON=Passive Optical Network so it is the same principal as a coax network, it is all shared.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:17 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:Im not Xeo but I can answer this:
Jagosaurus wrote:Do they literally run glass directly to your house, then break off the Ethernet?

Yes. They run a glass line into your house to a "Fiber Jack" (coded as GFLT100 or 110) and then their is a small SC based line to the "Network Box" which hands off gigabit based rj45s.

Its still a PON, like EPB in Chattanooga, WOW in many markets, or the new ATT true fiber installs, so enjoy it while it lasts. PON=Passive Optical Network so it is the same principal as a coax network, it is all shared.

Niceee. That makes me a little nervous though, I see all kind of coax exposed out in the wild. I don't trust fiber jumpers to not get clipped by lawn equipment or even a foot bump. Then again, copper degrades in weather. Pros & cons.

Yeah, the more people on that the more bogged down it will get but the base is such a higher starting point, not sure the impact will be as great as coax networks at 8p (apparently neighborhood xbox & Netflix time :) ).

What can I really do with 1gb down that I can't with 250mb down today... the key there is today. And also price... if you're going to get me 4x thr speed at a similar price, I'll take it :lol:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:17 pm

Most apartments are getting jacked here, yeah. It was kind of cool, I could have waited for some random guy to come by and install the stuff for me... but instead I was able to drive down to KC and pickup the network box myself. So you just plug that in with the outlet thing they have installed in homes here and I was able to setup my network personally.

The Google store was super "millennial" though. I hate to say that, but that's the thought that crossed my mind. I guess it isn't too far off from like a goofy Apple store or something. :lol:

I always have max bars, which I didn't at my old place with Comcast. Though I don't notice anything too different. When I'm streaming videos and move windows to my TV though there's never any stuttering with the videos like there was at my old place... I figured that was a PC thing, but now it makes me think maybe it's the connection somehow? I guess another issue I had with Comcast at my old place is when I'd load up itunes on my phone and download some podcasts real quick, it would jack up my connection everywhere else for a bit. Everything is running a lot smoother here so far and for half what I was paying Comcast.

I could go wired, but I have my PC on the opposite wall of where the network box is in the other room. Oh well, doesn't seem like a huge deal.

The package I'm with is $50 for 100mbps. For $70 you can get 1000mbps and TV.
s8n
128-bit

by s8n Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:05 am

got a new setup this morning and i'm quite pleased with it.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:59 pm

Xeogred wrote:Image

Please don't laugh guys, but 3 months later I finally got a gigabit cable and...

:shock: :roll:
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Kinks in the system?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:04 pm

I mean that, I didn't know wifi has kind of a low cap and you really want to go wired for fiber, haha. So I was just wireless until now. This is the first time I've bothered going wired, bought a 50ft cable and luckily didn't have to change up my apartment at all and got it to the desk in my room nicely.

Streaming seems more stable. Downloads seem the same (I'm guessing it's maybe server side on their end?). But previously I had trouble playing Tekken 7 with friends and was lagging bad, I wonder if that will be smoother now.
Last edited by Xeogred on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sano
Next-Gen

by Sano Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:09 pm

Just chiming in on the subject of network equipment. Make sure your modem is DOCSIS 3 compliant if your internet is coming from a coaxial setup. Makes a huge difference is speeds as I found out when I switched out my equipment.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever