connection-speeds

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: connection-speeds

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I've got TWC (I fucking hate those guys). I guess they're "Spectrum" or some other shit now, but who cares? They're still fucking ass holes. Anyway, my speeds are pretty good, I think. I get about 350 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

noiseredux wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:Noise, ours is pretty similar with Xfinity. Are you paying for 105 mbps? That's what my current package is.

I honestly had no idea. Been years since I'd really reviewed my package. So I just checked. It looks like my bundle includes 75 mbps actually. Seems like I could actually upgrade my bundle to the 150 for ~$10/mo for the next 2 years though. That's a thought. EDIT: Actually, that may be for new customers only - but I swore I got something in the mail saying I could do the upgrade if I wanted. Hmm.

I previously had "Internet Plus" plus a speed increase. That package also came with a basic channel TV box & HBO sub. Sounded cool, but I never used it. I have an OTA antenna in the game room with a small RCA programming guide/DVR. It's free and it works. My main living room set up is through Dish satellite. Essentially, although I was getting a "bundle discount"... I was never using that Comcast TV box. I returned it, scrapped their TV completely, and moved to the "Internet Plus!" package which is internet only, 150 mbps down.

@Elkin. Hmmm, is TWC - Time Warner or the old TW Telecom? Spectrum... wonder if it's coincidence but I've been running into Spectrum VOIP phones alot in Houston businesses recently. Either way, those speeds are cruising man.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

TWC is Time Warner Cable, soon to become Spectrum by Charter.

I'm with Bright House Networks, which used to be TWC here, but in the areas of the country they serve, this company bought out the TWC infrastructure and are a sort of partner with them as far as the channels/programming goes, they aren't really a subsidiary, but the Charter deal involves the BHN territories so we'll be Spectrum probably by this time next year.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I used to get 50 Mbps, but since Google Fiber is planning to expand into Durham like 30 miles south of Henderson, TWC upped 50 Mbps to 300 Mbps. Not like it will keep me as a customer - I'd jump ship to Google Fiber the first chance I got.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ahhh got ya. Yeah Time Warner is about 1.5 hours east of me in Beaumont but not really here in Houston at all that I'm aware of.

Agreed, I'd jump to Google in a second. What speeds are they delivering over their fiber?

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Jagosaurus wrote:Ahhh got ya. Yeah Time Warner is about 1.5 hours east of me in Beaumont but not really here in Houston at all that I'm aware of.

Agreed, I'd jump to Google in a second. What speeds are they delivering over their fiber?

1 Gbps downstream I know. Not sure about upstream.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Jagosaurus wrote:Noise, ours is pretty similar with Xfinity. Are you paying for 105 mbps? That's what my current package is. My 150 mbps upgrade was suppose to be effective immediately as of yesterday, but we all know I'll have to call Comcast 3 times... speed was the same last night as day before.

I was actually able to lower my bill a bit & up my speeds bc I was on a package that didn't exist any more lol.

Xeo, Niceee @ Google Fiber. One of my buddies move to KC last year & his neighborhood is on the list to get added soon. Did any of those law suits about Google using AT&T utility poles slow things down with the roll out?

No idea. But I think Overland Park is still slow to absorb it, one of the larger cities here (home to Johnson County Community College if that rings a bell for anyone). But it is literally popping up everywhere now, dozens of apartments, so I should have some nice options when I move next year.

I'm not sure about KC, but it's spread like wildfire this year through the suburbs and cities. Exciting to see.

Here's the packages:

100mbpss - $50mo
1000mbps - $70mo
1000 + TV (220+ channels) - $130mo

I'll probably go for 100mbps, I don't really care for cable at all. Right now I'm paying about $100 monthy for Xfinity and like... basic cable. They are shitting their pants right now for sure. Had some fat sweaty guy come to my apartment this summer trying to check up on me and sell new packages and yeah. I tried to argue with them why I'm paying this much for so little TV, but I guess it's some "package deal combo" discount I'm getting... guess I'm a sucker for riding them out until I move, but I just don't want to bother with it or with things with my roommate until then. But I can't wait to leave Comcast in the dust.

When I did call, they cut that month bill in half though so I got something out of it. :roll: :lol:
marurun

Post by marurun »

My choices are TWC or WOW. WOW does some weird shit with DNS interception that TWC doesn't (or at least, not as noticeably). TWC is cheaper for all the stuff we want, though their speed is pretty variable in this neighborhood. Kinda wish ATT hadn't stopped doing fiber-to-node U-Verse, but they decided going wireless only is more profitable. Then again, ATT is a horrible company all around, so maybe no big loss?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

It's 6mbs at the max here at my grandmother's(thank goodness she has TWC and a decent speed package even if she refuses to upgrade out of the current programming she gets except on my dad's tv). It's still better than my mom's we're supposed to be at 10mbps now versus the 6 we were getting but last time I was there it wasn't much better. ISPs hate my area so much to give decent quality internet
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@Xeo, . $50 for 100 mbps. Nice. Not too far off from me. Okay... still looking :shock: holy smokes
1000mbps - $70mo

While I've been really happy with Dish TV and it's cheap, I'd be interested to see if Google has a clean TV DVR GUI if they're using some cookie cooker box. A lot of providers hate carrying TV but they are required to in order to enter certain areas. Something having to do with monopolies, deregulation, FCC, blah. Which is why ATT is so excited to have Direct TV. They can use that as their TV offering and actual make money on it.

@darsparx, when you see those number divisible by 1.5 mbps it is normally still the telco T1 structure in the area and a newer cable or fiber company hasn't hit the area. A T1 delivers 1.5 up and down.
It's 6mbs at the max here at my grandmother's

So a clean 6 mbps (1.5 x 4) sounds like your circuit is running back to a 66 block near by versus a fiber node (which is the case with most cable and of course direct fiber).

Had Comcast confirm in 3 different departments (sales, accounting, and tech) that my new 150 mbps package is effective. Awesome. Speed test is still hanging around 94 (from my previous up to 105 package). Finally get someone who knows what they're talking about. She flashed my modem with the newest firmware. No change. Looks like I need their newer modem to reach those speed. Now comes the fun of hardware exchange :roll:

I'm not too upset because the speed is still cruising, I'm not paying extra for the box, & and my bill stayed the same. When I get the courage :lol: I'll exchange the box and be @ 150 mbps.