Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by isiolia Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:17 am

RCBH928 wrote:Would be interesting if someone here if they got a BD disc of a specific title and the same on Netflix and see if he can notice a difference.

That sort of comparison has been done now for years. A relatively recent and succinct one here.

As he shows, discs still come out ahead, but against the better streams out there, you really have to be looking for it. The larger difference is usually to be had in the audio.

Obviously though, some of that can come down to material. Having a ton of darker scenes, or ones with elements that don't compress well like a lot of small movement on screen (snow, etc) will likely result in more noticeable issues.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:00 am

Any one else feels the price of $2.99 per tv episode is a lot, this is not including taxes. It even doesn't matter if its a 30min or 50min. Who watches shows by buying per episode any way?
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:45 am

RCBH928 wrote:Any one else feels the price of $2.99 per tv episode is a lot, this is not including taxes. It even doesn't matter if its a 30min or 50min. Who watches shows by buying per episode any way?

I know what you mean. You'd be much more likely to buy a season, which is usually less than $2.99 per episode. However, I like that they have the option to purchase individual episodes. For example, I don't watch modern Simpsons but I wanted to see the Futurama crossover so I purchased just that one episode.

My Sale Thread - PRICES REDUCED! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:16 am

Ziggy587 wrote:
I know what you mean. You'd be much more likely to buy a season, which is usually less than $2.99 per episode. However, I like that they have the option to purchase individual episodes. For example, I don't watch modern Simpsons but I wanted to see the Futurama crossover so I purchased just that one episode.

In some rare instances, one would like to buy a specific episode, maybe a Halloween special of a sitcom he used to watch as a kid but its a rare instance. Well, one can't complain to have more options but it just weird to think someone went out of his way just to make this possible. Ironically, I guess I will be watching few random episodes of some tv shows to get a taste for them :lol: Well, in this day and age you can do this by subscribing to any streaming service so you don't have to buy the episode.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:13 am

Its ALIVE! Check this out. An Adobe Flash emulator :lol: Of all things, I never thought I would see a comeback of Adobe Flash, I didn't even think it was possible to emulate or even who wants that?

Many people hate on Flash as I do, for its bad security, constant updates, burning my CPU, and all flash websites suck honestly but I really liked it for some awesome capabilities it had that I still feel like are not matched. Good news is that I will finally be able to play Alien Hominid.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:51 pm

I guess it makes sense. There were plenty of Flash browser games.

My Sale Thread - PRICES REDUCED! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
marurun

by marurun Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:15 pm

I don't think there's much left in Flash that can't be done by HTML5 and Javascript, at this point.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:15 pm

RCBH928 wrote:Its ALIVE! Check this out. An Adobe Flash emulator :lol: Of all things, I never thought I would see a comeback of Adobe Flash, I didn't even think it was possible to emulate or even who wants that?

Many people hate on Flash as I do, for its bad security, constant updates, burning my CPU, and all flash websites suck honestly but I really liked it for some awesome capabilities it had that I still feel like are not matched. Good news is that I will finally be able to play Alien Hominid.

I think it's mostly good for web content, since if you just need to run Flash things locally you can use the standalone player, but it's probably good to have someone keeping a solution alive, even if just to play archived stuff.
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:28 pm

There was an archive made of Flash games. I'll probably get it eventually. Seems similar to ExoDOS where you can just download the framework and then download the games you wanna play.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:24 pm

That emulator is cool. Looks like they're developing it pretty rapidly. I like that it can be embedded in a website to keep Shockwave functionality.
The archival project is called Flashpoint. The special feature in flashpoint is it spoofs websites into a sandbox on your computer so the games with server-side data pull it locally. Also thousands of SWF files cataloged. You can download just the frontend and play the games and videos individually.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever