Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by isiolia Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:18 pm

RCBH928 wrote:$200-300 was the range I had in mind, while I do not understand anything I just want a better sound that Soundcore Infini Pro at $250 looks like what I am after. Wirecutters says it has no subwoofer but Amazon page says it has built-in one.

Wirecutter's categorization is simply for a separate module, which would be more capable, but also require finding a place to put it. Kinda like marurun said though, if those 3" subwoofers are good, and well integrated, then it should be able to produce rich, full sound, even if it lacks the ability to shake the room. Similarly targeted devices, such as the Apple Homepod, effectively utilize relatively small subs as well (that device has a single 4" subwoofer).
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:37 pm

Y'all are making me realize I need a better speaker system for my projector. I got a cheapo one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07VGCGR ... UTF8&psc=1 with 1 audio out port. I got about 200$ budget, I'm fine with buying used stuff for cheap though, if someone can point me in a good direction. All I have is a little Bluetooth speaker hooked up!
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:55 pm

SamuraiMegas wrote:Y'all are making me realize I need a better speaker system for my projector. I got a cheapo one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07VGCGR ... UTF8&psc=1 with 1 audio out port. I got about 200$ budget, I'm fine with buying used stuff for cheap though, if someone can point me in a good direction. All I have is a little Bluetooth speaker hooked up!

I would start with trying to put together a good pair of speakers with an amp or receiver.

On that budget, you'd almost certainly be looking at a used receiver, if going that route. If you end up finding speakers for free (or close to it), then there are some current low end ones you could get for $200ish...but if you aren't looking to flesh out the system anytime soon I don't think it's worth pushing for that. Instead, receivers tend to get replaced more often to keep up with new standards than because they don't work. So, you might have good luck finding mid/higher end pre-HDMI models, or maybe HDMI ones that only do 1080p. Go back too far, and you may hit things priced higher due to vintage status :lol:

The other way to go would be to just look for a basic stereo amp, and you could consider an inexpensive class D amp in that case (the cheaper ones are around $30 new) or of course the full range of other things. Still, this is your cheap, new option.

Speakers could depend on your long-term goals. If you intend to build up a surround system over time, then you may want to find something you can get a matched center for, or that'd work for rear channels later, etc. If that's not really in the picture yet, I would consider floor standing speakers if you can fit them, or larger bookshelf speakers. Get the best performance you can without a subwoofer, and will sound great for music if that's a possible use too.

That said, if you just want a low cost option to consider, I'd look at this bundle when it comes back in stock (Parts Express is a seller through Amazon as well). If you're fine spending a bit more (and can fit them) then they have these that'd still leave room to shop around for a better class D amp or used receiver.
Dayton primarily makes individual components, and is common to see in home speaker designs and the like. Their prebuilt offerings are largely value products, but seem to do well for that (I use some of their other ones for my PC setup).
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:34 pm

+1 to floor standings if you have the space for them. Like I said in my last post, if you hunt thrift stores it wont be long until you find a decent pair for cheap. Ones I've come across were all sub $50 for the pair. If you get a cheap stereo receiver and some decent floor standings, you'll be in good shape until you can add and upgrade.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:46 pm

I think I'll be checking thrift shops tomorrow! I don't need anything crazy fancy, that Bluetooth speaker is a fairly decent one (100$~) and it was honestly pretty serviceable for watching TV alone. With a group though, it kinda sucks.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:22 pm

Yeah I am only looking to enhance the sound not build a mini theater at home. I will look for that wirecutter recommended one.

SamuraiMegas wrote:Y'all are making me realize I need a better speaker system for my projector. I got a cheapo one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07VGCGR ... UTF8&psc=1 with 1 audio out port. I got about 200$ budget, I'm fine with buying used stuff for cheap though, if someone can point me in a good direction. All I have is a little Bluetooth speaker hooked up!

How are you using bluetooth for tv? Isnt there a minor delay which makes it annoying? I thought this is why wireless surround sound systems are no use.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:12 pm

RCBH928 wrote:Yeah I am only looking to enhance the sound not build a mini theater at home. I will look for that wirecutter recommended one.

How are you using bluetooth for tv? Isnt there a minor delay which makes it annoying? I thought this is why wireless surround sound systems are no use.

It's actually plugged in via aux cord, so there isn't ant delay I can notice.

My BST Thread
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:52 am

Got my first nsfw tattoo yesterday

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCr5qqrlF97/
Ack

by Ack Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:18 am

PretentiousHipster wrote:Got my first nsfw tattoo yesterday

Cool, though I admit, part of me was hoping it would literally be "NSFW" in block letters.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:04 am

Ack wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:Got my first nsfw tattoo yesterday

Cool, though I admit, part of me was hoping it would literally be "NSFW" in block letters.

I knew a guy, a real hipster from SF back around 2009 or so, who got "This is hilarious" as a tattoo.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever