Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by isiolia Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:28 am

Projectors have the same potential issues for black levels or whatnot in the dark, as they're doing essentially the same thing as an LCD TV, just with a light bright enough to project the image onto a screen.

With respect to pure picture quality, OLED or local dimming LED panels can do better. The push now for HDR cinema is for basically using large LED screens instead of projection, though that's not likely to be your standard theater experience for quite some time.

The main thing you aren't able to easily bring home is the sheer scale of the theater. Even folks with a dedicated home theater probably don't have the screen size of your typical multiplex, much less IMAX.
marurun

by marurun Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:26 pm

Screen size is moderated by distance from the screen, however. So people who can get larger screens at home can also sit quite a bit closer.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:47 am

isiolia wrote:Projectors have the same potential issues for black levels or whatnot in the dark, as they're doing essentially the same thing as an LCD TV, just with a light bright enough to project the image onto a screen.

With respect to pure picture quality, OLED or local dimming LED panels can do better. The push now for HDR cinema is for basically using large LED screens instead of projection, though that's not likely to be your standard theater experience for quite some time.

The main thing you aren't able to easily bring home is the sheer scale of the theater. Even folks with a dedicated home theater probably don't have the screen size of your typical multiplex, much less IMAX.

If theater is going to be just a big tv, I don't see too much future for it, I guess it will go the way of the Blockbuster stores. I read that modern TVs with Dolby Atmos can give similar or better experience and thats why I asked.

I never understood the hype for HDR, the image does not look natural. Its ok if directors use it for artistic reasons, but to be the default...sounds to me its the new 3D TV.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:11 am

Guys I donated a tree on behalf of Racketboy members in the 20M tree project, feeling generous today :lol:
Attachments
MHdaM3rEERet.jpg
MHdaM3rEERet.jpg (244.88 KiB) Viewed 438 times
Ack

by Ack Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:13 am

That was very nice of you, man. Thanks, RCBH.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:12 am

RCBH928 wrote:If theater is going to be just a big tv, I don't see too much future for it, I guess it will go the way of the Blockbuster stores. I read that modern TVs with Dolby Atmos can give similar or better experience and thats why I asked.

I never understood the hype for HDR, the image does not look natural. Its ok if directors use it for artistic reasons, but to be the default...sounds to me its the new 3D TV.

Personally, I'd say it's more nuanced than that. Your typical modern theater is playing a movie off of a hard drive through a digital projector. That doesn't mean that you'll match the results at home with a $500 Epson hooked up to a laptop. The point of shifting to an LED video wall or something would be because the technology has improved to the point that it can do a better job.

Main thing with HDR is capability. There are different systems out there, with their own standard levels, but generally a compliant display is supposed to be pretty good, even just in general (there's a table for the computer monitor version here for instance). In turn, an HDR signal can expect that level of performance from the display.
That said, there are a couple caveats to consider. The first is, of course, that not all content will use that expanded capability well. Second is that "supposed to be" qualifier I mentioned. Plenty of low end 4k TVs technically accept at least one of the HDR signals, even if they can only marginally meet the spec. So, you may end up with something that doesn't look as good, because the TV isn't actually capable of displaying it as intended.

IMO, as a more general answer...I think folks can have setups at home that can do better than theater quality, but it's not a given. As mentioned, there's distance to the screen to consider. For some, there's the potential for as good or better sound as well - Atmos or DTS:X and the ability to set things at the levels you want (I tend to prefer louder than my local theaters go) for instance. However, that may not be an option for all living situations, or equipment that people can or care to invest in. For a lot of people, a trip out to the theater will net a much nicer experience than they have at home.
marurun

by marurun Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:51 pm

The occasional theater trip will also be much cheaper, even at today’s rates. Buying a home setup that tops the theater will cost a pretty penny.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:10 am

isiolia wrote:However, that may not be an option for all living situations, or equipment that people can or care to invest in. For a lot of people, a trip out to the theater will net a much nicer experience than they have at home.

marurun wrote:The occasional theater trip will also be much cheaper, even at today’s rates. Buying a home setup that tops the theater will cost a pretty penny.

I see your point, I guess there are many willing to pay a $10 ticket than buy a $3000-5000 setup not to mention the movie itself. I just assumed that future home TV will surpass theater quality due to technological advancements, kind of like how a modern smartphone is faster than an enterprise computer in the 80s(I guess!). Maybe it will happen, a $300 TV will be above theater quality.

Its a side question but, I never installed a sound system because I am not a fan of running wires around the room, but was willing to install a soundbar but I read on home theater aficionados website that soundbars are more like "snake oil" ! Any one has input on this?
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:53 am

RCBH928 wrote:I see your point, I guess there are many willing to pay a $10 ticket than buy a $3000-5000 setup not to mention the movie itself. I just assumed that future home TV will surpass theater quality due to technological advancements, kind of like how a modern smartphone is faster than an enterprise computer in the 80s(I guess!). Maybe it will happen, a $300 TV will be above theater quality.

Its a side question but, I never installed a sound system because I am not a fan of running wires around the room, but was willing to install a soundbar but I read on home theater aficionados website that soundbars are more like "snake oil" ! Any one has input on this?

The main thing I see with that sort of theater to TV comparison is the overall experience. Even if the actual quality is subpar, like the 16mm mono prints I ran in for the student union back in the day, that sometimes couldn't even be fully in focus... it's still being projected onto a big screen, in something of a dedicated environment. A nice big TV in a similarly appropriate room would run circles around that. A 720p Netflix stream on a 32" TV, running off in the corner on a sunny afternoon...maybe objectively offers a better picture, but the experience is not nearly the same.

There are a very wide range of sound bars out there now. TV speakers have largely gotten worse over the years, as there's less and less room to fit good ones in as TVs get slimmer. On the lower end (at least), adding a sound bar to a TV is effectively just adding good speakers to it. As a parallel, it doesn't take spending all that much on a pair of computer speakers to do significantly better than the speakers built into most laptops.

Where it might get a little more divisive is comparing higher end sound bars to a full receiver and speakers sort of setup. Where a traditional surround setup tends to have physical speakers placed around the room, sound bars supporting 5.1 (or even higher) surround sound tend to be accomplishing it through virtualization. Modeling and/or projecting sound off of the walls or ceiling. Calling it "snake oil" is selling it short, as it can product amazing results. It's just a lot more sensitive to setup and calibration. Once you start getting to sound bars that cost as much or more as a receiver and speakers would anyway, going that route gets debatable. :lol:
Even separate speakers can end up using projected sound a little though, as a common suggestion/option for ceiling channels for Dolby Atmos/etc are upward firing drivers on floor standing speakers.

Regardless, your setup, your money, your preference. To me, if you're essentially just wanting "TV speakers", but better, then a sound bar is a great way to go. For a full surround setup, well, I already own a nice receiver, with speakers I built...so I wouldn't really be looking to swap that out.
If you're looking at a sound bar for a full surround setup, maybe try to find a place where you can hear a demo first, or that has a good return policy, in case it doesn't work well for you.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:18 am

To expand more on the experience of it...

Most people don't go to the movies alone, so you're gonna share a few laughs with some friends or significant other. Then you have someone to talk about the movie with immediately after seeing it, which is always nice. Either talking about your favorite scenes, or laughing about how bad the movie was, it's always a fun time to see movies with people.

The movie theater lobby is (or at least it should be) kind of a nice experience. The smell of popcorn, usually some arcades in attract mode, large movie posters on the wall. Nicer theaters will be done up in lights. If you don't want popcorn and a soda you can laugh at the prices.

Then the actual watching of the movie. It's not just a big screen with a killer sound system. It's a very large room. And not just a large room length and width wise, they have very tall ceilings. You can get the biggest and baddest HDTV or projector and sound system, but unless you live in a mansion you don't have a room in your house that you can replicate the acoustics of a movie theater.

Also, there's something to be said about watching a movie with an audience. Not just the group you are with, but everyone collectively. It's a different experience. Sometimes bad, if you have people talking, checking their cell phones (this is the worst - don't turn on your screen in a dark room, you can see it from a mile away and takes everyone out of the movie!) and stuff like that. But assuming you are in a theater with all respectful people, it's a neat experience. The laughing and applauding of an audience can't be replicated in your house. And the opening night for some movies are a spectacle. Like dressing up in costumes for certain movies (Batman, Pirates of the Caribbean, stuff like that). Usually the midnight premiers of movies like that are mostly attended by diehard fans so it's a fun time.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever