Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by marurun Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:26 pm

MrPopo wrote:Covid has utterly fucked the world shipping pipeline.

Not to mention manufacturing and part supply pipelines. Hard to run a factory at peak and coordinate parts suppliers and shipments when people keep falling sick and dying.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:45 pm

shows how fragile our economic system is. We just go to the market and expecting to find constant stream of supply of everything never questioning how it got here.
marurun

by marurun Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:00 pm

RCBH928 wrote:shows how fragile our economic system is. We just go to the market and expecting to find constant stream of supply of everything never questioning how it got here.

In some ways, yes. But in other ways no. China and the US are both bungling the COVID response (in different ways), and given the size of the US and Chinese markets and the amount of production that occurs in China, production and consumption are actually still holding up surprisingly well, although some of that is related to the way the US and China are bungling COVID.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:45 pm

I think the chip shortage is also playing a part in the low supply of stuff. A lot of stuff has chips in it (outside of Pringles tubes). One factor that is surprising is the auto industry. The OTD cost of most cars have skyrocketed. Even the used car market has had a price increase as well.

This might make sense for some car people here but the best example I can give is this: a friend of mine was looking info a Jeep Cherokee (the smaller one — not “Grand”). The leasing terms and cost now is comparable to a BMW 5 series terms prior to the chip shortage.

I think they wanted $3k down and almost $700/mo for that Jeep.

Another auto example: guy at work has a Hk da Accord lease that’s up next month. The purchase price on that car is some like in the $16k range. The current value of the car is $21k and change.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:31 pm

Given how big the impact of COVID and the curfews its actually surprising too that most products are still on shelf and have not completely disappeared. I wonder how the chip shortage affected the launch of PS5 and XboxSX , even weirder Steam releasing deck amid the chip shortage. Also Google and Apple are creating their own CPUs now. I think I read in the news TSMC had a fire or infection in their labs.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:35 pm

I thought streaming services launched by tv networks (minus Disney) was just a greedy attempt bound to fail to take a bite out of the streaming service. Looks like I am very wrong, Peacock and Paramount+ has 100Ks of review on iOS App Store, this means the user base is much larger.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:34 am

I just learned there is a controversy over the the iconic Netflix sound as people make theories between what it is and how its made. I thought it was obvious to everyone that its the exaggerated sound that a CRT tv makes when you turn it on which is very smart and 100% matches the Netflix brand but no one is mentioning this. Even the "N" logo zooms in like how the light starts and spread out in a crt tv.

Am I the smart one or the dumb one here!?
marurun

by marurun Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:24 am

It’s supposed to sound movie-like, not TV-like. This podcast will clarify things for you:

https://www.20k.org/episodes/netflix
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:45 am

I am impressed by your reply. The answer is spot on. I find it ironic though that people who listened to the sound track identified it as a movie, but when Netflix played their movies in theaters they choose another sound?!

They say sounds like that are iconic, but I think they become iconic because we tie them with a specific brand/experience. They could have chosen any other sound and after sometime people will identify it as "Netflix" .
marurun

by marurun Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:11 am

Well, that's why there are sound designers who specialize in creating abstract identity sounds. One the one hand, you want a sound which has the potential to become iconic after only a very small number of listens. On the other hand, you want the sound to not be too clearly recognizable as another thing, because then people start to associate it with more than just the brand. So you have to ride that line between something that is both recognizable and also novel, unique and also generic. And typically it involves a lot of experience recording real-world sounds and then combining, filtering, and altering them using analog and digital techniques. The 20,000 Hertz podcast has several episodes on different elements of sound design, and while it would be easy for me to dismiss the field, the more I learn about it the more I realize that my own past dismissals were rooted in a lack of understanding of the field.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever