Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy587

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by Ziggy587 Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:22 pm

I'm an avid fan of bonus content, especially for movies or shows that I really enjoy. I've owned the Nightmare on Elm Street DVD box set for many years now, it has a bonus DVD full of extras but I haven't seen 90% of it because the menu system is such a pain in the ass. The menu has you navigating through the Elm Street house, IIRC, and each piece of bonus is an item in a room that you have to select. It was such a slog to get to each clip, some of which are very short, I just couldn't be bothered. Luckily they made that documentary, Never Sleep Again.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:33 pm

It’s not a DVD (it’s Blu-ray actually), but the amount of extras on the box set of the Lord of the Rings trilogy is massive if I remember correctly.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
marurun

by marurun Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:11 pm

Extras are great! The DVD format is great! Menu designers sometimes ruined the entire package.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:06 am

You know what REALLY killed physical movie formats, IMO? Trailers.

I get so annoyed when I pop in a disc to watch a movie, trailers start, I press the “menu” button, and I get an “operation not available” message. I mean, I paid money to watch a specific film, and the studio has the gall to force me to sit through (or manually skip, one-by-one) trailers for a bunch of other movies. With streaming, I just hit “play” and get to watch a film, and i forget about the annoying trailers before movies on discs until, like tonight, I pop in a Blu-Ray,
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:14 pm

I was speaking of the main menu where all you have to do is click OK/Enter and the movie plays, if you are talking about extensive menus with extras where you can dig real deep into it I see what you mean but either way it was a plus because VHS had no menus to begin with and no extra content AFAIK. So it can't be a negative IMO as its an option that didn't even exist prior. In fact even stream and digital doesn't seem to have extra content you just get the movie file. Are BD menus any better?

As for trailers I can see how it can be annoying especially not being able to skip the trailers, but personally, I enjoy the trailers and the warnings. It just gives me that authentic original and professional DVD published material over the bootlegged ones. Plus its nice to see what else is out there, remember this was a time when the internet was not as easily accessible as a click of a button and near no video material online. It can get annoying though if you are watching a series because each time you wan to see a new episode you have to rewatch the trailers.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:18 pm

Speaking of VHS, I just watched a VHS movie. These things are no where as bad as we remember them. I bet if I would show it in a public setting, most people will enjoy the show without noticing a degrade in picture quality. Either that or my tv is doing a superb job at improving the picture.

One weird thing is that the VHS film looks superior to some LaserDisc movies I have been watching. Maybe my LD player has a weak output...
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:36 pm

I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:40 am

I've watched a few VHS tapes on an HDTV and they're definitely watchable. However, they are noticeably softer and less sharp than a DVD. But a store bought movie on an SD CRT looks fantastic, providing the tape is in good condition and the VCR is dirty. Something recorded though, those never look as good as a store bought tape and can range from passable to really bad. Depending on how well the recording quality was to begin with, and the broadcast quality that it was recorded from. Also, how much the tape has degraded over the last 20+ years. Even store bought tapes will degrade, but the recorded ones seem to degrade faster. Some of my VHS are still sharp, but others have gone a little fuzzy. A few are really bad, where colors are bad in addition to sharpness.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
marurun

by marurun Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:32 am

I will take that fuzziness over bad compression artifacts. That’s also one area steaming falls down. Your wifi connection have a blip? It’s the chunky video show!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:15 pm

Green screen still sucks but definitely better. I feel like the twin peaks fans are not gonna get the Zelda references and vice versa lol. Also some Link's outfit has green patterns :/

https://youtu.be/7J4zwW-nO6A
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever