Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by RCBH928 Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:42 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I've watched a few VHS tapes on an HDTV and they're definitely watchable. However, they are noticeably softer and less sharp than a DVD. But a store bought movie on an SD CRT looks fantastic, providing the tape is in good condition and the VCR is dirty. Something recorded though, those never look as good as a store bought tape and can range from passable to really bad. Depending on how well the recording quality was to begin with, and the broadcast quality that it was recorded from. Also, how much the tape has degraded over the last 20+ years. Even store bought tapes will degrade, but the recorded ones seem to degrade faster. Some of my VHS are still sharp, but others have gone a little fuzzy. A few are really bad, where colors are bad in addition to sharpness.

Indeed, the one I got is original brand new shrink wrapped. Via the internet I learned that these analogue devices have different qualities, and not all recordings and outputs are equal. Most people recall VHS with less than desired picture quality probably because they used to rent ones that have been viewed to death. I don't blame them though because I think the price of VHS was $40 or so which to me is outrageous per movie viewing especially in 90s money. Yet it still is better than a scratched DVD disc that stutters and skips all around the timeline.

Maybe I am wrong but people seem to have been buying more DVDs than VHS-which was more rented-maybe because DVDs were selling at cheaper price later in its lifetime?!

marurun wrote:I will take that fuzziness over bad compression artifacts. That’s also one area steaming falls down. Your wifi connection have a blip? It’s the chunky video show!

My problem is 1 blip it goes down, then it kind refuses to go back to high quality again. Its 2021 and the quality still goes down to 360 or 240P sometimes. Even 1080P is archiac by now, I mean we had Bluray back in 2006. That is pre smartphone era, its not a fancy thing.

PretentiousHipster wrote:Green screen still sucks but definitely better. I feel like the twin peaks fans are not gonna get the Zelda references and vice versa lol. Also some Link's outfit has green patterns :/

https://youtu.be/7J4zwW-nO6A

Wasn't it blue screen originally? I never got why they changed it. Probably because blue is a common colour, but so is green.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:24 am

Even though I have consoles that can output to 4K (the mid cycle refresh consoles) and a 1070Ti, I still use 1080p as my main resolution. From gaming to work and everything in between. This goes for monitors mind you. I have my consoles hooked up to gaming monitors. The bigger push for me was refresh rate and response time. Not so much resolution. Also 27” is my sweet spot.

I do have a 4K TV which is fine and dandy. Good for watching content and the like.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:57 pm

Saw Racketboy was featured on Norton's cybersecurity roundup of suggested gaming websites. It's not like there's a ton of individual websites listed here, so was cool to see in such strong company
https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity- ... ities.html
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:13 pm

RCBH928 wrote:A lot of western online communities have 0 tolerance for anything that does not complement the general popular opinion, like a knife on your throat. I was surprised by this since the western society is all about democracy, freedom of speech, and letting the other be and accepting all.

I mean I know moderators had it with bullies, racists, trolls, spammers and the rest, but...I once got a warning for describing a product design as "retarded" . Apparently that type of language is not accepted over there even to describe solid materials.

ok this is out right ridiculous. Next thing ban the English language for being too offensive.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:16 pm

racketboy wrote:Saw Racketboy was featured on Norton's cybersecurity roundup of suggested gaming websites. It's not like there's a ton of individual websites listed here, so was cool to see in such strong company

racketboy is about 15 years old, in internet time, that makes it a legendary website in the cyberspace.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:11 am

racketboy wrote:Saw Racketboy was featured on Norton's cybersecurity roundup of suggested gaming websites. It's not like there's a ton of individual websites listed here, so was cool to see in such strong company

That's awesome to see Racketboy featured here! The site deserves to be in the spotlight after all the years of work put into it and the awesome community involved.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:06 am

Thanks --- it never stops being surreal though. And in a few more years, Racketboy will have been around more than half of my lifetime :o
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:33 am

RCBH928 wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:A lot of western online communities have 0 tolerance for anything that does not complement the general popular opinion, like a knife on your throat. I was surprised by this since the western society is all about democracy, freedom of speech, and letting the other be and accepting all.

I mean I know moderators had it with bullies, racists, trolls, spammers and the rest, but...I once got a warning for describing a product design as "retarded" . Apparently that type of language is not accepted over there even to describe solid materials.

ok this is out right ridiculous. Next thing ban the English language for being too offensive.

I don't use the r-slur, but I feel like you're spending too much time online. Many of them are PR-Friendly and are acting as safe as possible, but real life is not like this. I feel like this post is also one of a very rare case, and you're acting like it's the norm.
marurun

by marurun Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:55 am

RCBH928 wrote:

I feel like you're going out hunting down things to be offended about or annoyed by. Do I think that's a bit heavyhanded? Sure. Does it actually matter? No. Find a different word to use or a different way to express that idea. The English language is powerfully flexible.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:55 pm

racketboy wrote:Thanks --- it never stops being surreal though. And in a few more years, Racketboy will have been around more than half of my lifetime :o

That's amazing from a longevity standpoint. Definitely an accomplishment to be proud of.

I've been reading site and chatting on here since '09, so that's about a third of my lifetime. Lol.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever