Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by Ziggy »

I ordered a SFC cart from Japan on July 4th and I JUST RECEIVED IT TODAY! It was shipped by sea, so I knew it would take a while. Normally I only do air with tracking for international shipments, but sometimes I don't want to when the cost of shipping is more than the cost of the item. In this case, I just wasn't willing to spend more on this particular game. I've had things shipped by sea before, but it's been a few years since I have. I remember things taking a month or so. When I ordered this game, the sea shipping time estimate was 2-3 months, but I figured it would still only take a month. August 4th came and went. When September 4th came around I was getting a little worried. But it was delivered today, so all is well.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Guys in the USA, does Costco really have lower prices than other mega supermarkets like Walmart?
I heard for $60 you get some absurd discount prices but out of curiosity I compared a 24 Red Bull cans case and they all seem to be around the $40 range.

Or is the real saving is in buying their own alternative brands? I hate this when supermarkts carry one brand and refuses the other, makes no place for one stop shop to get what you want.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

The food you save some on the bulk items at Sam's club or Costco. Stuff like clothes, electronics, tires, jewelry is about the same as anywhere else. I had a membership for awhile but I didnt go enough and dropped it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Sam's Club has helped me immensely in amassing my massive survivalist food cache. I wish they sold bulk ammunition.

Plus their rotisserie chickens are good.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

stickem wrote:The food you save some on the bulk items at Sam's club or Costco. Stuff like clothes, electronics, tires, jewelry is about the same as anywhere else. I had a membership for awhile but I didnt go enough and dropped it.

I heard so much about Costco major discounts on bulk items and how loyal their members are. They claim to have 100M members, I wonder what makes them coming back.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:
stickem wrote:The food you save some on the bulk items at Sam's club or Costco. Stuff like clothes, electronics, tires, jewelry is about the same as anywhere else. I had a membership for awhile but I didnt go enough and dropped it.

I heard so much about Costco major discounts on bulk items and how loyal their members are. They claim to have 100M members, I wonder what makes them coming back.

Their in-house brand products are generally very high quality. The per-unit/oz/whatever prices on some of their brand-name goods are better than the generic or house brands at many other stores. They offer a very generous return policy and provide additional product support for many goods. They subsidized the cost of some goods, like their famous rotisserie chickens, as a draw (who else can get away with a $4.99 chicken that tastes that good?) They also have a reputation for treating their employees well and paying them better than the competition. I've been a member of the local Costco for about 10 years and there are some faces I see there year after year. It's reassuring that employees want to stick around.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I really am a fan of ASCII art, sad not to see more of it these days. Unlike graphics, it seemed to load so fast even on the most simplest of computers.I wished I was an artist so I can draw stuff with it. I really don't know how artists decided which character to use where to finally represent the final image.

It always gives the sense of "online" I guess because it was never used outside of the internet except some early games. It also gives you the feeling for "hacking" :lol: :lol:
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I gotta play Dennis Miller's "That's Geek To Me". It has him doing "funny" definitions of computer terms. For ASCII it was "ASCII, and you shall receivii"
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I surely wasn't the only one to receive the ASCII middle finger back in the day.

GameFAQs ASCII art should be preserved by the Smithsonian.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

ASCII was huge during the piracy scene back then too. The art actually looked awesome.