Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by marurun »

I don't know what else he was doing, but I know he was doing more than sleeping. I was being a little cheeky.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I guess I did my directorial debut, at least partially. Gonna make a feature length, plot-driven video game review on a series. Did the opening intro and it definitely has a Neil Breen aesthetic if he didn't have any money. Goddamn lighting for a green screen is impossible if you only have 2 lights that you got for $50 CAD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

PretentiousHipster wrote:I guess I did my directorial debut, at least partially. Gonna make a feature length, plot-driven video game review on a series. Did the opening intro and it definitely has a Neil Breen aesthetic if he didn't have any money. Goddamn lighting for a green screen is impossible if you only have 2 lights that you got for $50 CAD.

It's not ideal, but you could try making a bounce out of tin foil and cardboard to help with the lighting issue.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Ack wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:I guess I did my directorial debut, at least partially. Gonna make a feature length, plot-driven video game review on a series. Did the opening intro and it definitely has a Neil Breen aesthetic if he didn't have any money. Goddamn lighting for a green screen is impossible if you only have 2 lights that you got for $50 CAD.

It's not ideal, but you could try making a bounce out of tin foil and cardboard to help with the lighting issue.

Thanks for the advice. Diy stuff might work well. I am surprised at how well you can fix it in editing software though.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

I stopped following them when Dan left, but I've been following the gamespot/giant bomb employees for the majority of my life. 3 of them that were there since practically the beginning quit at the same time. Even though I didn't follow them for 3 years it's still hitting me hard. I assume this is the feeling people have when a tv show they were religiously following gets cancelled?

Really makes one wonder what happened when the majority of staff left within 6 months, all of them after a new company bought them.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

PretentiousHipster wrote:I stopped following them when Dan left, but I've been following the gamespot/giant bomb employees for the majority of my life. 3 of them that were there since practically the beginning quit at the same time. Even though I didn't follow them for 3 years it's still hitting me hard. I assume this is the feeling people have when a tv show they were religiously following gets cancelled?

Really makes one wonder what happened when the majority of staff left within 6 months, all of them after a new company bought them.

This made me think about how many websites I continued to follow since my youth. I can only come up with two related to entertainment: rpgamer.com, gamefaqs.com. My Amazon, eBay, and Paypal accounts are 20+ years old. My Newegg account has got to be up there as I recall using them shortly after egghead.com went defunct in the early 2000s. For everything else, either my interests changed and I stopped visiting or the website went under.

There are only two websites that went under which I truly miss. Joystiq and Cinescape (later called Mania.com). I never really found a movie review website that catered to my taste as well as Cinescape/Mania. These days I rely on Chris Stuckmann on Youtube and Rotten Tomatoes to a lesser degree.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

A lot of western online communities have 0 tolerance for anything that does not complement the general popular opinion, like a knife on your throat. I was surprised by this since the western society is all about democracy, freedom of speech, and letting the other be and accepting all.

I mean I know moderators had it with bullies, racists, trolls, spammers and the rest, but...I once got a warning for describing a product design as "retarded" . Apparently that type of language is not accepted over there even to describe solid materials.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

I am left wing to the point that I've gotten death threats from people across the political spectrum. I agree with most of the general opinion but you should be made aware that there are plenty of online communities that don't uphold those and most real life ones don't. The way I see it is that if you're against a website warning you for that, then that website is not for you.

I could happily debate this with you, but I've gotten members banned and ruined websites due to politics so best not to discuss it here.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

PretentiousHipster wrote:I could happily debate this with you, but I've gotten members banned and ruined websites due to politics so best not to discuss it here.

Which is exactly why the topic of politics is prohibited on this forum.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Ziggy587 wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:I could happily debate this with you, but I've gotten members banned and ruined websites due to politics so best not to discuss it here.

Which is exactly why the topic of politics is prohibited on this forum.

Isn't he the one that brings up politics all the time too lol