Random Thoughts Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by marurun »

Some states have started implementing wheel taxes during vehicle registration to offset shrinking gas taxes. I think a registration tax is more meaningful anyway.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

How many forms of taxes would one pay? income tax should cover everything imo
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

We've had a wheel tax for years, about $90 for tags. Plus $15 for emission test, that I believe is going away in a few years.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:How many forms of taxes would one pay? income tax should cover everything imo

That depends quite a lot, and much of that discussion is considered politics and not appropriate for discussion here. Suffice it to say, different modes of taxation affect people differently, and not all taxes exist solely to generate revenue, necessarily (though that's always a consideration). That's probably about as far as we should go in terms of pursuing that particular philosophical and political thread here.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
NotLuke
24-bit

Post by NotLuke »

https://www.witn.com/2021/05/13/gas-sto ... -in-smoke/

Gas hoarder, in an H2 to add, has a whoopsie. Although not confirmed, the reports are that the driver lit a cigarette and *flash* went the flame due to the gas in the air and the hand sanitizer on the fingers.

Had a meeting today to discuss some idiots who are going to meetings while at the grocery store or will not turn on their camera as they aren't "out of bed yet". Ugh. It's another level of stupid if you're going to a zoom meeting while at target. Also, a seat belt is a dead giveaway you are either driving or require added restraints while in a seated position.

No kidding though... when got my last masters, kids were smoking during online classes. I have a friend who is a Superintendent who gets baked before zoom meetings and wears sunglasses while conducting meetings outside. It's dumb. I'll say this though...if a manager is having their staff behave this way, it won't be long until the manager gets a talking to.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

This is why I do not trust people to manage themselves, one would think that common sense is ...common but in fact its a rare commodity. Strict rules needed to keep the system working.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Interesting thing about common sense… it has been studied and people so often disagree about what is and isn’t common sense m, and when there is agreement it is so rarely followed, that the ultimate conclusion is that common sense doesn’t actually exist. Anytime someone says, “it’s just common sense,” no, no it isn’t.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... mmon-sense
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I just noticed that today marks 10 years since I joined the forums. Happy anniversary to me I suppose. 8)
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Started watching the X-Files for the first time. Can't help not notice the effect of the mysteries pre-internet. Sure the internet makes you more aware and well informed, but the joy of mystery "What if..." and "Maybe.." is gone . I wonder if adults back then were just as aware as we are today.

Even ProWrestling used to be sold as real and now they actually tell you in your face "Its fake and staged"
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

RCBH928 wrote:Started watching the X-Files for the first time. Can't help not notice the effect of the mysteries pre-internet. Sure the internet makes you more aware and well informed, but the joy of mystery "What if..." and "Maybe.." is gone . I wonder if adults back then were just as aware as we are today.

Even ProWrestling used to be sold as real and now they actually tell you in your face "Its fake and staged"

Yeah...if the internet is good for one thing, it’s preventing the spread of misinformation and grounding people in reality. Back in the ‘80s and ‘90s, we were all so ignorant and ill-informed, but now, you need look no further than popular social media platforms to see that the internet has virtually eradicated conspiracy logic and unfounded superstition.