Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
User avatar
Nemoide
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2111
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:37 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by Nemoide Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:36 pm

The Internet Archive has started a Flash collection too.

I've uploaded a couple rarities to it and am in communications with an animator, trying to find/upload a specific cartoon that has otherwise completely vanished from the web...
Image
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10297
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by marurun Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 pm

Where would we be without Nanaca Crash?
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5353
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by RCBH928 Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:45 am

isiolia wrote:I think it's mostly good for web content, since if you just need to run Flash things locally you can use the standalone player, but it's probably good to have someone keeping a solution alive, even if just to play archived stuff.


The standalone player is no good because development will be stopped and will not work on future OSs not to mention its not on all platforms. I don't think it works on MacOS or Linux. Meanwhile this is web technology, and web technology is supported a very long time.

marurun wrote:I don't think there's much left in Flash that can't be done by HTML5 and Javascript, at this point.


I actually don't know, but for sure I don't see much animations and web games now days like the days of Flash. What I see is video players which are much lighter and better I guess than flash video player. Wasn't YouTube using Flash for their videos early on?

Maybe its the tool because Flash was also a drawing and animation tool not just programming language/script.

Nemoide wrote:The Internet Archive has started a Flash collection too.

I've uploaded a couple rarities to it and am in communications with an animator, trying to find/upload a specific cartoon that has otherwise completely vanished from the web...


Internet Archive is too good to be true.
I once was browsing and found some older games that were emulated, I think it was Street Fighter. I am not sure how or what technology it used to run in the browser but it did and I don't know how is this legal.
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5353
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by RCBH928 Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:25 am

Anapan wrote:That emulator is cool. Looks like they're developing it pretty rapidly. I like that it can be embedded in a website to keep Shockwave functionality.
The archival project is called Flashpoint. The special feature in flashpoint is it spoofs websites into a sandbox on your computer so the games with server-side data pull it locally. Also thousands of SWF files cataloged. You can download just the frontend and play the games and videos individually.


How is this working? Is it maintaining an old browser with all the old plugins running on modern OS?
What was the difference between Shockwave and Flash anyway? It was a rare instance to see something Shockwave, I heard it was mostly used for interactive menus in kiosks but idk.

It amazes me that there are people out there willing to put time and effort to do such thing. The archive is 260GB and someone out there willing to pay for storage and servers to download all of this, not to mention the legality of it all.
User avatar
isiolia
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5774
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:52 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by isiolia Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:09 am

RCBH928 wrote:The standalone player is no good because development will be stopped and will not work on future OSs not to mention its not on all platforms. I don't think it works on MacOS or Linux. Meanwhile this is web technology, and web technology is supported a very long time.


The page I linked to has both Mac and Linux versions, though sure, for Mac in particular it may have a limited lifespan.


RCBH928 wrote:What was the difference between Shockwave and Flash anyway? It was a rare instance to see something Shockwave, I heard it was mostly used for interactive menus in kiosks but idk.


They were originally made by different companies that ended up being purchased by Macromedia, which was later purchased by Adobe. So while I recall them shifting to market Shockwave more for local content (games, enhanced CDs, etc) and Flash for the web, the origins were really as competing products that overlapped a fair bit in capability.
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10297
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by marurun Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:43 am

RCBH928 wrote:
marurun wrote:I don't think there's much left in Flash that can't be done by HTML5 and Javascript, at this point.


I actually don't know, but for sure I don't see much animations and web games now days like the days of Flash. What I see is video players which are much lighter and better I guess than flash video player. Wasn't YouTube using Flash for their videos early on?

Maybe its the tool because Flash was also a drawing and animation tool not just programming language/script.


This is really what it is. Adobe released tools that made it easy to create content in Flash. Sure, HTML5 and JS have largely equivalent capabilities now, but Flash was much easier to work with. There wouldn't have been nearly so much Flash content if people had to wrestle with every bit of the creation tools along the way.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5353
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by RCBH928 Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:54 am

I don't get why people hate on Facebook and Twitter for spreading rumors and fake news. Its not the company its the people, they didn't do it. They are merely the tool that was used. One thing I can blame them for is the amount of spam and fake/bot accounts, if there is a way to stop it that is.
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5353
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by RCBH928 Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:55 pm

Saw a video about a guy being a penny pincher on youtube saying he lives and his family just on $2500 a month and saves the rest for retirement. Is this supposed to be frugal living? This sounds a comfortable income. I know prices are different from one place to the other but US prices usually cheaper than many other places. I also don't know if that is pre/post tax.
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10297
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by marurun Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:05 pm

RCBH928 wrote:Saw a video about a guy being a penny pincher on youtube saying he lives and his family just on $2500 a month and saves the rest for retirement. Is this supposed to be frugal living? This sounds a comfortable income. I know prices are different from one place to the other but US prices usually cheaper than many other places. I also don't know if that is pre/post tax.


Well, that's $30,000/year for essentials. If his family is 2 people (no kids), that's less than double the poverty level for the US as a whole. He has the advantage that savings can be tapped for emergencies, something many families do not, but that's certainly on the frugal side. Median household income in the US last year was about $68,000/year. If this fellow is indeed managing to get by on only $30,000/year and makes median US income, his family is putting away more than 50% of their income for retirement. That's more than the majority of American families.

Now, there are a lot of US families that have to get by on a lot less than $30,000/year, so that's only frugal by by the averages, so to speak.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5353
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

by RCBH928 Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:57 pm

marurun wrote:Well, that's $30,000/year for essentials. If his family is 2 people (no kids), that's less than double the poverty level for the US as a whole. He has the advantage that savings can be tapped for emergencies, something many families do not, but that's certainly on the frugal side. Median household income in the US last year was about $68,000/year. If this fellow is indeed managing to get by on only $30,000/year and makes median US income, his family is putting away more than 50% of their income for retirement. That's more than the majority of American families.

Now, there are a lot of US families that have to get by on a lot less than $30,000/year, so that's only frugal by by the averages, so to speak.


No he has a kid. This is the video if you are interested. Is the $68K/y before or after taxes?
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests